• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe WX March 21-23 2022

buckeye05

Reaction score
It is ok but I think they could have went with a 170 mph EF4. That is only 10 mph which really isn't nothing. Despite a house being a CMU foundation it seems like a number of straps were used to tie it down. This tornado certainly was more intense than the Newnan tornado from last year which received a low-end EF4 rating which is questionable to me because of weak attachments to the foundation. https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=202203241635-KLIX-NOUS44-PNSLIX
Did you even read the survey closely? The house with all the strapping remained intact and was pushed off the foundation. It didn’t come apart and get swept away.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Imo main thing I'm seeing is the contextual evidence is pretty marginal, got some cars tossed but a lot of the destroyed houses are surrounded by houses with minor roof damage and standing barely damaged trees; sure it's a very narrow damage path but have gotten to expect needing extreme contextual evidence to hit violent with the way the scale's applied now. Yeah it probably would be fine at 170 but I expect some WFOs to tag this level of damage at 140 or so so 160 is honestly a little surprising. Certainly looks a bit more intense than Newnan though.

Reaction score
Imo main thing I'm seeing is the contextual evidence is pretty marginal, got some cars tossed but a lot of the destroyed houses are surrounded by houses with minor roof damage and standing barely damaged trees; sure it's a very narrow damage path but have gotten to expect needing extreme contextual evidence to hit violent with the way the scale's applied now. Yeah it probably would be fine at 170 but I expect some WFOs to tag this level of damage at 140 or so so 160 is honestly a little surprising. Certainly looks a bit more intense than Newnan though.
Yeah, I don't see how the Newnan tornado from last year received an EF4 rating. The construction of them houses that were completely leveled had very little to no attachment of any kind. The NOLA tornado whether it's high-end EF3 or low-end EF4 I guess it doesn't seem to matter anyway. I just don't see how 5 or 10 mph makes any difference to not give it the higher of the two ratings. I know the strapping on the blocks remained intact which I thought was stronger construction.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Might be a reflection more on Newnan's rating than LIX; I'm thrilled to see FFC rating things violent again but there's a few other candidates in FFC territory that probably deserved 170 a bit more. Both would've probably been F4 on the old scale though before 2002ish

buckeye05

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see how the Newnan tornado from last year received an EF4 rating. The construction of them houses that were completely leveled had very little to no attachment of any kind. The NOLA tornado whether it's high-end EF3 or low-end EF4 I guess it doesn't seem to matter anyway. I just don't see how 5 or 10 mph makes any difference to not give it the higher of the two ratings. I know the strapping on the blocks remained intact which I thought was stronger construction.
No the house itself stayed intact, not just the strapping. The house wasn’t leveled. That doesn’t qualify as EF4.

Reaction score
No the house itself stayed intact, not just the strapping. The house wasn’t leveled. That doesn’t qualify as EF4.
I have heard of construction like that but it seems rare that cinderblocks are actually strapped together. Ok it wasn't leveled. I see now why. I thought they said it was leveled and partially swept away. It must been another house in that statement I was reading.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I’ve searched for it but didn’t see any references if the CC on the Shelby Co storm was damage and was it surveyed?

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I’ve searched for it but didn’t see any references if the CC on the Shelby Co storm was damage and was it surveyed?
Yeah, got rated EF0

Tornado #1: Shades Creek Tornado (Bibb and Shelby Counties)...

Rating: EF0
Estimated Peak Wind: 75 mph
Path Length /statute/: 2.79 miles
Path Width /maximum/: 100 yards
Fatalities: 0
Injuries: 0

Start Date: 03/22/2022
Start Time: 09:08 PM CDT
Start Location: 2 NE Hebron / Bibb County / AL
Start Lat/Lon: 33.1858 / -87.0408

End Date: 03/22/2022
End Time: 09:13 PM CDT
End Location: 4 N Marvel / Shelby County / AL
End Lat/Lon: 33.2109 / -87.004

Survey Summary:
An EF-0 tornado path was identified straddling the Bibb County
and Shelby County line, about halfway between Woodstock and
Maylene. The tornado began along CR 21 in far northeast Bibb
County where a few trees were uprooted. The tornado then moved
northeastward, downing additional trees, before coming to an end
just south of CR 13 in far southwest Shelby County. No structural
damage was observed as the track went across forested areas and
stayed clear of isolated residential areas.

Thank you to the Shelby County Sheriff`s Office for assisting in
accessing this track via helicopter.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah, got rated EF0

Tornado #1: Shades Creek Tornado (Bibb and Shelby Counties)...

Rating: EF0
Estimated Peak Wind: 75 mph
Path Length /statute/: 2.79 miles
Path Width /maximum/: 100 yards
Fatalities: 0
Injuries: 0

Start Date: 03/22/2022
Start Time: 09:08 PM CDT
Start Location: 2 NE Hebron / Bibb County / AL
Start Lat/Lon: 33.1858 / -87.0408

End Date: 03/22/2022
End Time: 09:13 PM CDT
End Location: 4 N Marvel / Shelby County / AL
End Lat/Lon: 33.2109 / -87.004

Survey Summary:
An EF-0 tornado path was identified straddling the Bibb County
and Shelby County line, about halfway between Woodstock and
Maylene. The tornado began along CR 21 in far northeast Bibb
County where a few trees were uprooted. The tornado then moved
northeastward, downing additional trees, before coming to an end
just south of CR 13 in far southwest Shelby County. No structural
damage was observed as the track went across forested areas and
stayed clear of isolated residential areas.

Thank you to the Shelby County Sheriff`s Office for assisting in
accessing this track via helicopter.
Thank you!! I know that area well!! I’m glad that thing lifted!!

buckeye05

Reaction score
Lots of talk about the luminous object seen in multiple videos arcing across the sky in front of the NOLA tornado, and I have to say, I’ve never seen something like that in a tornado video, and I’m clueless as to what it is. My best guess is some kind of electrical/plasma/ball lightening phenomenon of sorts?

Main theory I’m hearing is it’s a car, but I’m pretty sure it’s not. The NOLA tornado clearly wasn’t violent enough to loft a car that high into the air, and there haven’t been any reports of missing cars or extreme vehicle damage.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Also looks like the EF3 rating for the Kemper County, MS tornado was based on an anchored mobile home being ripped from its anchor straps, and being obliterated after it was thrown 100 yards. A lot of WFOs would call that high-end EF2.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Have seen BMX go 150 back on 4/15/11 for a double wide and I think JAN went pretty high for mobile home damage on April 2011 as well so yeah that's higher than a lot of WFOs will go, seems good with very good context and very strong strapping

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Haven’t checked the DAT yet and was just going off the text summary. Wonder why this wasn’t mentioned? Looks like more clear cut EF3 than the mobile home.

One would think it'd be mentioned, not sure why it hasn't been written up on; some of the walls are pretty intact so it's not super high end but probably good for EF3 with severe tree damage here

Screenshot_20220324-172703-477.png

Screenshot_20220324-173008-546.png

Back