• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX March 21-23 2022

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I see multiple houses moved intact off their foundation so will be interesting to see if some of the completely leveled houses are better anchored; not sure what the building codes are here, either way the wind rowing gives it a pretty high end appearance

buckeye05

Reaction score
I see multiple houses moved intact off their foundation so will be interesting to see if some of the completely leveled houses are better anchored; not sure what the building codes are here, either way the wind rowing gives it a pretty high end appearance
Noticed that too. Definitely lots of sliders.

OHWX97

Reaction score
Definitely some wind rowing that occurred, some homes swept clean with some or a little debris left on the foundation, I think calling this tornado “violent” is accurate.
It's very impressive damage for sure, but I question the structural quality of those houses. I can only speculate, so we'll have to see what the damage survey crew determines.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I can not speak to how it was in Crawford county.
However I can at least say once it went over the Bibb county line there most likely was no tornado on the ground based on how everything has been where I live.
Thanks for the report and welcome to TalkWeather!

South AL Wx

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
From LIX... At least EF-3 damage near Arabi:

"Public Information Statement
National Weather Service New Orleans LA
1057 AM CDT Wed Mar 23 2022

...NWS Meteorologists Currently Surveying Storm Damage Near Arabi
in St Bernard Parish Louisiana with at least EF-3 Damage...

The National Weather Service office in New Orleans LA is
currently conducting a storm survey for the area near Arabi in St
Bernard Parish Louisiana. The survey is in relation to the severe
thunderstorms that moved through the area on 03/22/2022. Current
damage reviewed shows at least EF-3 damage occured last evening.

A final assessment including results of the entire survey are
expected to be completed and transmitted via a Public Information
Statement in the next day or two. We thank you for your patience."

OHWX97

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out what tornado the New Orleans tornado was a twin of, because it definitely reminded me of something, but it isn't Tuscaloosa. It looks like another big city tornado; the Foshan, China EF3 tornado of 2015. Same shape, and even had the same persistent horizontal vortex.

NOLA tornado also reminded me a lot of the 2009 Murfreesboro, TN tornado.
FOjCGh_WUAY6YVu.jpg

OHWX97

Reaction score
I'm hoping to see some nice storm structures today from passing cells. Would be spectacular to see a tornado from a distance, but I'm not betting on it, being that there's only a marginal risk for my area.

In fact, a tornado warning has just been issued for a cell north of Versailles, IN.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
BMX sending survey teams to Hale and Bibb/Shelby, we know the latter was a tornado but of course highly suspect the Moundville damage was tornadic as well. Feels like the storm reports map will look even more like a MDT day in a day or two.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I'm hoping to see some nice storm structures today from passing cells. Would be spectacular to see a tornado from a distance, but I'm not betting on it, being that there's only a marginal risk for my area.

In fact, a tornado warning has just been issued for a cell north of Versailles, IN.
Yeah was gonna chase today but everything went linear. Was expecting the discrete storm mode the CAMs were suggesting, but that isn’t how it turned out at all.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Apparently this was the house where the fatality occurred in Arabi. Looks like it was completely leveled, but may not have been very well-built considering the state of the homes around it?

Regardless of construction, the force it takes to wrap a vehicle around a tree is considerable. Also, definitely some debarking there too.

South AL Wx

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
BMX sending survey teams to Hale and Bibb/Shelby, we know the latter was a tornado but of course highly suspect the Moundville damage was tornadic as well. Feels like the storm reports map will look even more like a MDT day in a day or two.

Looks like BMX has determined the damage around Moundville was from straight line winds. They just released a PNS:

".Thunderstorm Wind #1: South Moundville Wind Event (Hale and Tuscaloosa Counties)...

Rating: N/A
Estimated Peak Wind: 76 mph
Path Length /statute/: 3.0 miles
Path Width /maximum/: 1200 yards
Fatalities: 0
Injuries: 0

Start Date: 03/22/2022
Start Time: 06:38 PM
Start Location: 1.5 S Moundville / Hale County / AL
Start Lat/Lon: 32.98 / -87.63

End Date: 03/22/2022
End Time: 06:42 PM
End Location: 2 ENE Moundville / Tuscaloosa County / AL
End Lat/Lon: 33.01 / -87.59

Survey Summary:
National Weather Service survey crews assessed the damage just
south of Moundville, Alabama and determined the damage was most likely due to
straight line winds. In weighing the evidence, very little of the debris was
lofted into the air, and the damage path was consistently divergent which are
both indicative of straight line winds. There were also two eye witnesses that
emphatically stated that they observed a large swath of wind which caused the
damage as opposed to a tornado. The observed structures in the direct path lacked
debris splatter which would be associated with tornado damage. The surveyed
damage was nearly a mile or more south of the observed circulation on radar, and was
in line with the rear flank downdraft winds or inflow region of the storm. The
lack of lofted debris also confirmed the absence of a tornado debris signature despite
radar data sampling at 3400 feet AGL.

That said, there were approximately 50 trees uprooted along the surveyed path that
were consistently laying divergent with the exception of two convergent outliers.
Convergent damage would be indicative of a tornado. In addition, the path-to-width
ratio was more consistent with what would be considered tornado damage in most
circumstances.

In weighing all the evidence, the damage was more consistent with what is typically
observed from straight line winds despite the outlying evidence that would suggest
otherwise."

OHWX97

Reaction score
Of course the line went tornado warned on the other side of my county. Likely produced a tornado near Clarksville, OH. Might have been able to catch a distant glimpse of it had it formed a few miles back towards the west.

Last edited:
Logo 468x120