• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Winter WX January 29-30 Southeast Event

darkskys25

Reaction score
Sref creeping up. 1.5 now for bham.. .75 for tuscaloosa. I'd be happy with an inch of snow. Just enough to sled on :)

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I do think there will be a band of heavier snow in the 2-4" range somewhere between Cullman and Calera...may be a little west of I65. I am seeing some small convective signals during the frontogenesis forcing that should cause the higher amounts.

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
BMX has issued a Winter Storm Watch for much of central Alabama.

bmx.png

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Birmingham AL
314 PM CST Sun Jan 27 2019

...SNOW EXPECTED LATE MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY MORNING...

.A strong cold front will move into Central Alabama late Monday
night and Tuesday morning. Rain will change over to snow as early
as midnight Monday night in the northwest with the rain to snow
transition line moving southeastward through the morning on
Tuesday. Snow will come to an end around noon on Tuesday. While
snow will only fall for a couple hours at a given location, it may
be heavy at times resulting in accumulations of 1 to 2 inches with
isolated higher amounts. Temperatures will also fall below
freezing as the snow falls Tuesday morning, which may result in
difficult travel conditions even where accumulations are less than
2 inches. This will impact the morning commute especially along
the Interstate 20 corridor.

darkskys25

Reaction score
SREF totals continue creeping upward for most cities from Huntsville, Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, Gadsden, etc.
1.25 Tuscaloosa boom of 4.5
2.5 bham .. boom of 6
It goes up with every run. A good sign that we indeed are seeing confidence in a widespread 1 to 3 inch storm. And then you always have that 30 mile swath of 2 to 4. I really like what I see as most will get at least 1 inch of snow most likely. Unless it all falls apart ha ha.

Kory

Reaction score
A key to this event is, IF, the models are underestimating the speed of the dense arctic airmass, then totals will likely be higher. Models often struggle with the speed of cold air advection. Most places this will start as rain (washing away road treatments), but it should quickly transition to snow overnight Monday into Tuesday with temps dropping below freezing.

darkskys25

Reaction score
A key to this event is, IF, the models are underestimating the speed of the dense arctic airmass, then totals will likely be higher. Models often struggle with the speed of cold air advection. Most places this will start as rain (washing away road treatments), but it should quickly transition to snow overnight Monday into Tuesday with temps dropping below freezing.

I've seen it go the other way too. Change over takes much longer then expected leaving nothing. I cant recall experiencing a winter weather event go exactly as forecast. Always expect changes right up until the event.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
They’ve already began treating some of the roads up here.

Kory

Reaction score
I've seen it go the other way too. Change over takes much longer then expected leaving nothing. I cant recall experiencing a winter weather event go exactly as forecast. Always expect changes right up until the event.
Usually associated with warm air advection in the low to mid levels with surface low cyclogenesis. This is a bit different.

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
Other than it being a Tuesday (same as SnowJam 2014), does this have any other similarities to the famous Snowjam 2014 in Bham/ATL?
2014 was brutally cold the entire month of January leading up to Snowpocalypse on January 28th (plus, the high that day was only around 20). Obviously, we haven't had brutal cold like that this year. One thing I could see happening that would be similar to January 28, 2014 would be some initial melting on roadways (coupled with the rain that falls before the changeover) leading to somewhat of a flash freeze as the subfreezing temperatures flood in. This would result in a layer of ice coating road surfaces with snow then falling on top of the layer of ice.

Back