• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Hurricane Ida

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I’m thinking landfall in Cocodrie, LA. This puts it on track to go through the heart of a very populated area of Houma.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
NHC has finally upgraded Ida's winds to 85 mph indicating that the hurricane is indeed strengthening but still isn't forecasted to reach major hurricane strength until early tomorrow morning.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
NHC has finally upgraded Ida's winds to 85 mph indicating that the hurricane is indeed strengthening but still isn't forecasted to reach major hurricane strength until early tomorrow morning.
Hope that verifies -- the less time it gets as a major hurricane, the better.

Just had to share the image used with this story at NOLA.com; says it all, really. No one is mentioning 2005 right now, of course, but it is in everyone's thoughts. As are all those in Ida's path now.

screenshot_2021-08-28-07-06-37.png

Last edited:

Kory

Reaction score
Parents are riding this one out in New Orleans. Told them any wobble east will mean a drastic increase in winds for them (current track would keep the eyewall out of the city) but surge looks to be bad. I guess this is the second big test for the new levees…first being Hurricane Isaac in 2012.

Seeing some of the traffic cameras this morning reminds me of 16 years ago to the day. Log jam traffic out of the city as the largest evacuation in the city’s history commenced.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Parents are riding this one out in New Orleans. Told them any wobble east will mean a drastic increase in winds for them (current track would keep the eyewall out of the city) but surge looks to be bad. I guess this is the second big test for the new levees…first being Hurricane Isaac in 2012.

Seeing some of the traffic cameras this morning reminds me of 16 years ago to the day. Log jam traffic out of the city as the largest evacuation in the city’s history commenced.
Wishing them and the entire city the best of luck.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210828-104057_Chrome.jpg

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
With the depth of the hot water it's about to go over in the next 12 hours, Ida is about to be a very happy hurricane. I'll be surprised if we don't see some really rapid intensification.

Back