• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Hurricane Ida

Jacob

Reaction score
Really don't like the satellite trends over the last hour, she looks like she's getting ready to really get her act together.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I have to wonder if we'll see a reverse Katrina and instead of the storm weakening just before landfall, we see intensification just before landfall.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Let's not forget eyewall replacement cycles.

Since the Loop Current isn't going to disappear and I didn't see mention of dry air in the 10 p.m. discussion, maybe that's the main hope now for weakening around landfall?

Those outer bands sure do seem to like the northeastern Gulf coastal environment, though. :(

Last edited:

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
Let's not forget eyewall replacement cycles.

Since the Loop Current isn't going to disappear and I didn't see mention of dry air in the 10 p.m. discussion, maybe that's the main hope now for weakening around landfall?

Those outer bands sure do seem to like the northeastern Gulf coastal environment, though. :(
Even with a smaller eye that is much less stable than what we have, it takes too long for the stable phase after rapid intensification ends for us to fit an ERC into the timeline prior to landfall.

Kory

Reaction score
I think Hurricane Betsy is a great analog. It was the storm of my grandparents generation and the bench mark all other storms were measured against...until Hurricane Katrina.

Kory

Reaction score
Completely different situation than Hurricane Katrina though. The lake will be pushed onto the Northshore. Its the West Bank I am worried about surge wise...a place that only suffered wind damage and very minor flooding during Katrina. New Orleans hasn't seen a wind storm like this in a long time...

Kory

Reaction score
The heart and soul of Louisiana will take a hammering tomorrow. My heart goes out to my home state and home town. I'm hoping and praying for the best, but expecting the worst. We've been through this before and we'll pick up and move on. Much like right before Katrina, I distinctly remember my parents taking a look around the neighborhood and making the remark, "remember what it looks like...because it is going to be changed forever." Boy was that true. A lot of small towns that embody Louisiana will be experiencing that tomorrow. I won't sleep easy tonight. Just want this all over.

Evan

Reaction score
Holy crap at that last recon pass. What in the world???