• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Hurricane Ian

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
A more stable cam. So far so good in Myrtle Beach. Tide is up to the sea oats, but no dramatic surge seen yet. Looking at the cams it looks like wind and current are still parallel with the coast. Once those switch around to onshore with the passage of the eye, we'll see if Ian is pushing any water with it.

Better cams:

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
A couple feet of surge at Myrtle beach so far. Gauge at 8.62.

1664552184776.png

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely bringing some surge with it on the back side. Garden City, SC.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of beach and dune erosion in SC ongoing. Gauge at Springmaid pier is at 10.42ft, but the astronomical tide is now going out, so hopefully we'll not see a lot more rise.

1664557206561.png
1664557344327.png

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Well phooey - looks like we lost the Litchfield by the Sea cams.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Gauge appears to have peaked at 10.6ft at the pier, or about 5 1/2ft of storm surge. If that's the peak surge, it puts it third, behind only Matthew and Hugo.
EDIT: Hmm... resumed going up. 10.77ft.

Last edited:

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
In case anyone is interested here's some vids of Ian from "Disaster Compilations" on YouTube.

Cuba

Florida pt 1

Florida pt 2

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Death Toll at least 100 in Florida now from Ian.
Rather sad to see the number so high when it was probably mostly preventable. Too many complacent people who neither took the time to learn of the late-developed strength nor took the wisdom of evacuating early to heart. Some will be those without the means to have avoided this but probably not many.

There is one bright spot among the mess- newly constructed replacement buildings will fare much better when this happens again. I honestly wish Florida's structural building codes were made mandatory nation-wide, so much could be gained at relatively low costs.

Phil

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Death Toll at least 100 in Florida now from Ian.
Without all the improvements in so many areas over the last 100 years or so, that number would probably be in the thousands. Something positive to hold onto in this tragedy.

Reaction score
Hi All:

Long time hurricane veteran having lived in south fla since 1959 and now relocated to the ft meyers area. Went through the Andrew eyewall and never want to do one of those again.

One thing that I use as a sign is how many birds do you see?

This storm is bothering me a bit. Driving down to naples and back yesterday the volume of birds is non existent. This morning I have seen a flock of ibis, numerous crows and blackbirds, and hear several mockingbirds singing. There is still a dearth of birds in my area. Nature is telling me that this is coming this way but where? Is it going a tad north like pt charlotte or Sarasota, or south of macro? I have already gotten ready as I start my preps early in the season, just need to get gas today and some odds and ends for the weekend.

Anyone in the west coast of FL, do you see a lot of birds in your area?
We are inland central Florida (Lake Wales) and noted that most bird activity was gone more than 36 hours before the storm arrived here, so your observations were very valid. I’ve noted wildlife behavior before storms is a reliable predictor. I wish it were better researched and understood.

OHWX97

Reaction score
The NHC's post-season analysis of Hurricane Ian has been released. Most notably, it briefly attained category 5 intensity (140 kts) on September 28th before weakening and making its Florida landfall as a high-end category 4 (130 kts) later that day. It caused nearly $113 billion in damages, making it the costliest tropical cyclone in Florida history, and the third costliest of all time, just behind Harvey and Katrina.

Hurricane Ian's TCR

Last edited:
Logo 468x120
Back