• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Hurricane Ian

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah the concentration of strength on the west side of the eye is pretty weird, I'd love to hear an actual smart person explain why that is. Probably fortunate though since they're taking the brunt of the right-front quadrant right now.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah the eye is filling in, so hopefully this is going to weaken pretty quickly.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
First flash flood emergency, but probably not the last. They've already gotten over 4" of rain in these areas with plenty more to come.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Water levels finally dropping in Ft. Meyers. Peak was nearly double the previous record, set during Gabrielle.
1664411152526.png

Last edited:

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
4 inches doesn't sound like much in this situation, but from what I've read online the ground was already saturated before this storm arrived. That doesn't bode well for conditions after the really big totals.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Most of southwest Florida had had above average rain for the last couple of months before this.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I would update the numbers for Naples, and if it's receding there (One assumes it is, with Ft. Myers now receding), but the gauge broke. Naples is going to be a mess.

One thing though that has impressed me - lots of new construction that has seemed to fare fairly well - hurricane building codes work. I expect this will show a lot of damage inland though, where codes are not as strict and a lot of older construction remains. There's going to a lot of small inland communities that will have been hit hard. We saw that with Michael, in places like Blountstown.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
With Ian weakening I don't think there's much to worry about regards older inland homes- most have probably withstood as much or worse already. RV parks and trailer parks will be a different story.

Phil

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
With Ian weakening I don't think there's much to worry about regards older inland homes- most have probably withstood as much or worse already. RV parks and trailer parks will be a different story.

Phil

There's a ton of those in inland Florida - lots of the folks who work in these posh resorts can't afford to live anywhere near the coast because rents are so high, so inland trailer parks are common.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah, some of this area was affected by and rebuilt after Charley back in 2004, so it's good to see that they're learning from past mistakes and making improvements.

Also after seeing that stupid picture circulated every time a hurricane has made landfall since the beginning of the internet, we actually got an honest-to-god shark in the street video.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
1664417966276.png

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I am hearing the 200 year old Sanibel lighthouse is gone. Hoping that's just a rumor.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I am hearing the 200 year old Sanibel lighthouse is gone. Hoping that's just a rumor.
It very well may be, but think back to all the tornado outbreak reports of "town X is gone" only to find out the next morning that is far from the truth.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
24_hour_precip.png

Logo 468x120
Back