• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Hurricane Ian

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Woohoo! The lighthouse still stands though.

1664460596231.png
I will say that the buildings around it and it's location relative to the gulf seem to be a lot different now.
1664462287142.png

Last edited:

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Ian has reemerged into the Atlantic with it's spin intact, but faces a lot of shear and dry air intrusion if it wants to strengthen. Hopefully the dry air will win. Plenty of ocean heat content to sustain a hurricane if it does.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
A pier in Ft. Myer's that didn't make it.

South AL Wx

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Ian is back up to 70 mph now, and is forecast to be a minimal hurricane when it makes landfall in South Carolina. A Hurricane Warning has been issued for the SC coast:

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw the first aerial shots of Sanibel - the amount of homes intact tell me the building codes enforced after Andrew work.

1664466887005.png

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Surge up the river in St. Augustine ongoing.

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
At 11:53 AM EDT, Saint Augustine [St. Johns Co, FL] EMERGENCY MNGR reports STORM SURGE. ST AUGUSTINE FIRE-RESCUE REPORTS STORM SURGE FLOODING IS CURRENTLY AT, OR EXCEEDING, HURRICANE MATTHEW LEVELS.

bwalk

Reaction score
@DylanFedericoWX

Fort Myers is devastated. Tough hurricane proof infrastructure that’s in shambles. There’s no electricity or water. It’s unlivable. Wind damage is far worse than I saw after Irma, Ida, Harvey, or Katrina. #flwx #Ian

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Seeing some truly incredible footage out of Fort Myers, Sanibel Island and other locations already - I have to say this is some of the most intense storm surge documented first hand since Katrina. Almost unreal.

Looks like Naples was badly hit by the storm surge as well:

Port Charlotte

Unfortunately, it's not unfair to describe Fort Myers Beach as being in shambles - this area was hit HARD by the wind and surge.

Last edited:

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Oof. Lee county is in bad shape.

Destin Native

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I truly hate that people suffered such great loss. However, I'm shocked when people state something like "I can't believe this happened to us!" If you live on or near the coast, it will eventually happen to you.
Sorta like when we lived in the Birmingham area and the tornadoes. I couldn’t wait to get back to Florida. I’ll take my chances with hurricanes. Carry on..

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Ian is doing the weird half-icane thing again.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Ian is doing the weird half-icane thing again.
Calling for a Cat 1 hit near Charleston. EM here in SC is ready but not worried. Rain bands coming to me in the upstate mid morning and I've being dragged into unscheduled work- sigh...

Phil

akt1985

Reaction score
I hope we don’t see a death toll from Ian in Florida that rivals the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935, or even the Lake Okechobee Hurricane of 1928 where over 2,500 were killed.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
Sorta like when we lived in the Birmingham area and the tornadoes. I couldn’t wait to get back to Florida. I’ll take my chances with hurricanes. Carry on..
I understand what you’re saying, but I disagree (to an extent). In Birmingham (or Huntsville, where I live) you are certain to have a close encounter with a tornado at some point. Heck, I’ve had several within a few miles from my houses. However, the likelihood that you will be directly and severely impacted by a tornado remains fairly low simply due to the size.

Edited to add: I do agree that people who live in areas where tornadoes are common shouldn’t be shocked if they get hit by one.

Last edited:
Back