• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Archive Former Major Hurricane Irma

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The devastation on the islands is crazy.

Blountwolf

PerryW Project Supporter
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
The devastation on the islands is crazy.

I fear this is what we have to look forward to in Miami and points north along the eastern coast of FL. The track of this one is horrifying - if it is onshore over florida on the way up, the surge just moves north up the coast. Here's hoping the turn north is early and quick.

akt1985

Reaction score
I was going to visit my grandma who lives between Tallahassee and Jacksonville for her birthday this weekend. I think I may have to cancel. I hear many gas stations in Florida are running out of gas.

Pluviophile

Reaction score
A friend who lives in Melbourne, Florida, texted me this today: "We're closing down the plant (where he works) on Friday, and not working Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. Wait-and-see for Tuesday. There are fights being reported at Wal-Mart. Bottled water has been sold out for a couple of days. We still have gasoline, but gas is sold out further south."

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Holding steady at 185 mph and 914 mb. It's already blown away the record for duration of sustained winds >180. Did y'all see some of the GOES16 visible satellite imagery of the vortices in the eyewall? Incredible stuff.

cyelle21

Reaction score
This storm is HUGE and I wonder if this storm will turn as quickly as the models are saying. I've always heard that hurricanes of this size and magnitude basically steer themselves. I keep going back to Katrina....she was suppose to make a similar turn north, but kept going west. I wonder if this trough will be as strong as they are predicting.

TuckerTerry

Reaction score
This storm is HUGE and I wonder if this storm will turn as quickly as the models are saying. I've always heard that hurricanes of this size and magnitude basically steer themselves. I keep going back to Katrina....she was suppose to make a similar turn north, but kept going west. I wonder if this trough will be as strong as they are predicting.

I have been questioning this very thing since they began speaking of "the turn" and it being so drastic.

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Emeritus Moderator
Reaction score
The 12z euro would be a disaster for all of NC. It shows wind gusts to 80mph in my backyard thanks to the elevation. Gusts to 70 around Charlotte. Basically Hugo part two.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

TuckerTerry

Reaction score
I only see a supply list. How is that downplaying exactly? Seems very suitable to me.

All I meant was perhaps they are trying to avoid mass hysteria in ATL Metro, by only feeding bits and pieces at a time to their viewing audience.

That post was the first mention of any kind of supplies one may need in this area.

Brent

Reaction score
0z Euro is a disaster for SE FL including the Miami/Fort Lauderdale/West Palm Beach metro area all the way up past Savannah

If the Euro pressure is right its probably a borderline Cat 5 at landfall SW of Miami

TuckerTerry

Reaction score
I have a family stuck in Key West. They tried to get out yesterday, but it took 6 hours just to get to Key Largo, and there's no gas. They have an MD patient, on ventilator with zero mobility. Anyone know how I can find out if gas is being replinished?

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I have a family stuck in Key West. They tried to get out yesterday, but it took 6 hours just to get to Key Largo, and there's no gas. They have an MD patient, on ventilator with zero mobility. Anyone know how I can find out if gas is being replinished?

Watch Gas Buddy. Refresh periodically. Pretty good about updating.

Back