• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Enhanced Weather Threat Alabama, Florida and Georgia 15 Feb 2021

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The home pieces are in pretty large chunks, have to really wonder about the attachment of those two homes. We'll find out this evening I guess.

buckeye05

Reaction score
The home pieces are in pretty large chunks, have to really wonder about the attachment of those two homes. We'll find out this evening I guess.
Yeah that’s what I mean by debris pattern. Not exactly quite what you’d expect to see with a violent tornado.

andyhb

Reaction score

Not to get too pedantic since this is very much a borderline case, but can we stop going lower than the lower bound with these ratings? 165 mph is the lower bound for DOD10 for 1-2 family residences. Stick to that if you're going to go high end 3.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
High end EF3 makes sense if anchoring to that CMU foundation was really awful, if that was indeed the case, though we've certainly had EF4s that did less than that. Not much violent contextual support so not too surprising it's held below EF4. It is indeed irritating to see estimated winds below the lowest possible bound though.

Last edited:

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It's another big win for the VROT/TDS chart however

IMG_20210216_165422.jpg

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Brunswick County tornado got upgrade to 165mph EF3 yesterday making it the strongest NC tornado since an F4 in 1998. Still not final as far as I can tell. EF4 probably not likely but may not be out of the question.

"Continuing northeastward, the tornado crossed Saw Pit Swamp and entered the Ocean Ridge Plantation community. Here the tornado became exceptionally powerful as it damaged or destroyed a large number of well-built brick homes. Wind speeds of at least 165 mph are inferred to have occurred as several homes suffered complete destruction of all walls. Debris from one home was swept completely clear of the foundation. Multiple fatalities and injuries occurred."

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
If the survey infers the homes are well-built, I'm puzzled as to why they left it at lowest bound. Glad to see it's at 165 now though instead of being below the actual minimum literally allowed.

ILM has a good survey page. Nice to see, glad when WFOs make effort to add lots of data to their survey pages.

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
If the survey infers the homes are well-built, I'm puzzled as to why they left it at lowest bound. Glad to see it's at 165 now though instead of being below the actual minimum literally allowed.

ILM has a good survey page. Nice to see, glad when WFOs make effort to add lots of data to their survey pages.
ILM tweeted on the 17th they were still working on the final report haven't heard anything since. After having another read of their prelim evaluation I think it might actually go EF4. It says 'winds of at least 165mph'. That sounds like they are pretty confident higher winds occured. Maybe I am reading into it too much lol. Would be the first EF4 in NC history as all other level 4s were before the EF scale.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Back