• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Discussion of April 27, 2011 Outbreak

DetectiveWX

Reaction score
Early in the Armageddon round: "These are not going to weaken. If anything, they'll be getting stronger as the cap continues to break, lift increases with the dynamics approaching from the west, the temperature continues to warm, and the instability increases. A lot of the severe weather parameters are just off the charts today."

Last edited:

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how the atmosphere was able to recover so quickly after the early morning storms moved out of the area.
A combination of mesoscale mid-level subsidence behind the MCV associated with the predawn QLCS and the dry mid-level air from the EML and capping overspreading the area, as well as the QLCS itself pushing the higher moisture south temporarily. All this allowed for widespread morning sun. And then, from the mid-morning onward, the warm sector south of the morning outflow boundary stayed mostly clean and allowed the intense low-level jet and rapidly strengthening surface winds to quickly advect the higher quality low-level moisture back northward underneath the EML.

Gail

Reaction score
I need to go back and watch the coverage of that day for the historical standpoint. I haven’t been able to because even thinking about it makes my eyes well in tears for the many souls lost that day. Once the line came through here, we lost power for hours so other than bits and pieces of video here and there, I missed a lot of the Alabama coverage. It passed through my area about a hour before Tuscaloosa was hit, and I was on the phone with my mom reassuring her we were okay when she told me there was a giant tornado in the center of Tuscaloosa.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Hope I'm posting in the right place. There is current a YT video compilation and documentary available covering the Smithville EF-5 of this outbreak.

This channel has had some copyright issues with previous compilations so I don't know how long it will be up, but I'm partway through it (50 minutes long) and I'm seeing lots of video I've never seen before. It's a well-done compilation and I feel well worth your time to watch.

Phil

OHWX97

Reaction score
Hope I'm posting in the right place. There is current a YT video compilation and documentary available covering the Smithville EF-5 of this outbreak.

This channel has had some copyright issues with previous compilations so I don't know how long it will be up, but I'm partway through it (50 minutes long) and I'm seeing lots of video I've never seen before. It's a well-done compilation and I feel well worth your time to watch.

Phil

I'm a big fan of Tornado Forensics content and this is easily their most impressive project to date. If anyone has the time, I would absolutely recommend watching this start to finish.

andyhb

Reaction score
One thing I'm concerned about in future years is a high caliber overnight tornado outbreak across the Mid-South/Deep South region. It's honestly been a while since we've had a true overnight tornado outbreak.
So 12/10/2021 basically?

UK_EF4

Reaction score
I've found another compilation video- this one is of the Hackleburg-Phil Campbell tornado from beginning to end, and once again has some clips I'd not seen before. It is the most complete I've seen to date

Phil

Yeah, I am noticing some Channels have recently begun posting some very interesting and detailed videos on some of the monsters on 4/27. It's Interesting to see new footage, especially as there is so much from the outbreak that lots of it goes unseen. Thanks for posting

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There's several new YT channels doing tornado compilations, sometimes just vids, sometimes with commentary, and sometimes maps and radar screenshots too. Most of the clips are ones we've all seen before but it's interesting me to see them together arranged in the timeline they occurred in.

Phil

Reaction score
Has everyone seen this video (was it made by anyone on here)? I doubt it presents any new information for any of us (haven't watched all the way through yet), but certainly a neat project!

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Not yet. Only 584 subscribers so this is just another of the newbies following the current trend of disaster documentaries as their user-name says. I'll give them a peek later today, it's past my bedtime.

Two years ago there were less than 5 channels doing deep documentation on tornadoes other than some done by well-known chasers- now there's upwards of a dozen channels like this with many being started in the last six months or so. They vary a lot but some are quite comprehensive and accurate, while others are shallow, less well researched, and spend more time with the channel-owners face on the screen yakking irrelevantly than with showing what folks like us want to see.

Phil

Reaction score
Tornado Talk's summary of the Pisgah-Flat Rock-Trenton EF4 is pretty eye-opening. One of the lesser-known violent tornadoes of the outbreak, it seems rather like Moshannon or Yazoo City (2010) in that it mostly struck only glancing blows to substantial, site-built structures until it moved through Trenton, by which point it was evidently no longer near peak intensity. In addition to its dramatic size (among the largest wedges on a day that seemed to produce nothing but), contextual damage clues along the path suggest it was capable of much worse.

Reaction score
Tornado Talk's summary of the Pisgah-Flat Rock-Trenton EF4 is pretty eye-opening. One of the lesser-known violent tornadoes of the outbreak, it seems rather like Moshannon or Yazoo City (2010) in that it mostly struck only glancing blows to substantial, site-built structures until it moved through Trenton, by which point it was evidently no longer near peak intensity. In addition to its dramatic size (among the largest wedges on a day that seemed to produce nothing but), contextual damage clues along the path suggest it was capable of much worse.

I looked and found something rather.....familiar sounding....
“It was pretty well swept… it didn’t quite qualify for a 5. There was some small debris that was still around. The home was built pretty well, but there was some anchoring that was a little bit suspect with it. There was a little bit of the cow fencing that was still there, that had not been completely destroyed… In my mind, to this day, that tornado probably was a five."

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..................

Back