1-800-PetMeds

Discussion of April 27, 2011 Outbreak (2 Viewers)

andyhb

That person is aware and they have done it!

"This is a day where we could see some violent tornadoes, perhaps long-tracked tornadoes, that get down on the ground and stay down for 20, 30, 40 miles or longer, and I'm afraid we will have multiple instances of these today."

"This is a violent tornado situation, it's a life threatening situation. Please take cover anytime you're under a tornado warning on a day like this. Again a few times in your life are you going to see anything like this..."

"This is a day where we could see some violent tornadoes, perhaps long-tracked tornadoes, that get down on the ground and stay down for 20, 30, 40 miles or longer, and I'm afraid we will have multiple instances of these today."

"This is a violent tornado situation, it's a life threatening situation. Please take cover anytime you're under a tornado warning on a day like this. Again a few times in your life are you going to see anything like this..."

The whole weather enterprise had quite a job of it that day trying to get the message across that this was going to be really bad even by the standards of other high risk days.

The whole weather enterprise had quite a job of it that day trying to get the message across that this was going to be really bad even by the standards of other high risk days.
Thinking back on it, I don’t feel like I was even able to imagine it could reach the level that it did. The idea of so many EF-4’s and EF-5’s in such a short period of time was just not something I had ever even thought about. It’s like, even though I knew it was going to be a bad day, I never imagined it being that bad.

warneagle

Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I remember coming back from class that morning and opening up the Day 1 and seeing "...MAJOR TORNADO OUTBREAK EXPECTED THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING ACROSS THE TN VALLEY AND SRN APPALACHIAN MTNS EXTENDING NWD INTO THE SRN OH VALLEY..." and thinking "wow, I don't think I've ever seen them say that before". I also remember how concerned Greg Forbes sounded on TWC that morning. The only other time I remember him being that anxious was the day of El Reno 2013.

Of course, it created the paradoxical problem where people expect every high risk to be like that and think it's a bust when we don't get multiple EF5s.

WxMan42711

no clue if this has been posted yet, but this is an impressive video of the cullman tornado:
given how low-res the video quality is, it is very impressive that you can make out a plethora of debris.

no clue if this has been posted yet, but this is an impressive video of the cullman tornado:
given how low-res the video quality is, it is very impressive that you can make out a plethora of debris.
I've never seen that one before. I either didn't know, or forgot, until recently that the Cullman tornado didn't achieve EF-4 intensity until well beyond the city of Cullman.

buckeye05

I've never seen that one before. I either didn't know, or forgot, until recently that the Cullman tornado didn't achieve EF-4 intensity until well beyond the city of Cullman.
Some of the damage to brick buildings in downtown Cullman was rated EF4 IRRC, but yes, it reached peak strength in the Arab area.
IMG_2688_900.JPG

Some of the damage to brick buildings in downtown Cullman was rated EF4 IRRC, but yes, it reached peak strength in the Arab area.
IMG_2688_900.JPG
Do they list all officially rated damage indicators on the official tracks? They don't have anything above EF-3 on the map through Cullman proper. Same with Cordova also. No indicators above EF-3 in the city itself.

Users who are viewing this thread