• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Discussion of April 27, 2011 Outbreak

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Is there any existing footage of the long-tracked EF3 that hit Sawyerville and Eoline? I haven't been able to find any.
I like to think I have seen amateur or chaser footage from just about every big tornado that day, but I have never seen any of that tornado. I imagine most chasers who were in central Alabama were on the Tuscaloosa-Birmingham storm or stayed in Tuscaloosa after it was hit. I bet there just weren’t any guys chasing that tornado.

Reed Timmer and crew managed to briefly catch that tornado north of Centreville behind some trees, and it's tacked onto their compilation for the day at 3:10 in; it's the only video I know of to exist of that one.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Which chunk is/was missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8:30-9:40pm or so was missing in every clip online to this point, as I had the only copy from that time known to exist and had sent it years ago to be uploaded by someone with VHS to digital converter. That section was finally put up for the anniversary yesterday marking the first time that hour or so has been seen since the coverage was live a decade ago (includes the call in to the studio regarding Hackleburg being destroyed)

Bamamuscle

Reaction score
8:30-9:40pm or so was missing in every clip online to this point, as I had the only copy from that time known to exist and had sent it years ago to be uploaded by someone with VHS to digital converter. That section was finally put up for the anniversary yesterday marking the first time that hour or so has been seen since the coverage was live a decade ago (includes the call in to the studio regarding Hackleburg being destroyed)

Ohhhh ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kragg

Reaction score
Reed Timmer and crew managed to briefly catch that tornado north of Centreville behind some trees, and it's tacked onto their compilation for the day at 3:10 in; it's the only video I know of to exist of that one.

Thank you for posting that. That’s the first time I’ve seen footage of the Centerville tornado.

I was sitting at a coffee shop in Montevallo AL watching things unfold on my phone radar and listening to the radio and that Supercell tracked just north-north west of us. I still remember feeling awed looking up at that storm and seeing about 5 distinct layers of rotation beautifully lit by the setting sun.

I had some photos on an old phone, but don’t know if I can find them. If I do I’ll post them up here.

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
Equus, not sure if you know about this, but I figure you probably do. There is a guy on YouTube who pieced together every piece of 33/40’s coverage that was available online from that afternoon into one video. His name is Waffle Archives or something like that. In his 2nd version of this comprehensive video, he even included your recording of the tv screen with the call from Hackleburg. If I knew how, I would send him this new version so he could add that whole hour or so into his video.

Reaction score
Equus, not sure if you know about this, but I figure you probably do. There is a guy on YouTube who pieced together every piece of 33/40’s coverage that was available online from that afternoon into one video. His name is Waffle Archives or something like that. In his 2nd version of this comprehensive video, he even included your recording of the tv screen with the call from Hackleburg. If I knew how, I would send him this new version so he could add that whole hour or so into his video.

That person is aware and they have done it!

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah we've been talking via Discord for a while about what sections were missing and I immediately made them aware of the new section so they could finish the complete evening coverage archive haha. Thrilled that it's all finally up.

Reaction score
Some more vids of Tuscaloosa (sorry if any have been previously posted):

3. This is one of the most impressive I've seen. The rapid rotation on the funnel is evident with a crazy amount of debris and visible multiple vortices at times.

5. Of course, we've all seen this one:

Reaction score
Also, ABC 33/40 still has their damage aerials from Tuscaloosa-Birmingham up, but it seems like they took the ones from Hackleburg and other tornadoes from that day down. Any clue as to other sources that might contain the other damage aerial videos that aren't Tuscaloosa-Birmingham?

Jacob

Reaction score
Some more vids of Tuscaloosa (sorry if any have been previously posted):

3. This is one of the most impressive I've seen. The rapid rotation on the funnel is evident with a crazy amount of debris and visible multiple vortices at times.

This is the first time I've seen this particular video, that's from the parking deck at DCH Hospital.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I might have those aerials on an old external drive somewhere but I'd have to check sometime

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
Also, ABC 33/40 still has their damage aerials from Tuscaloosa-Birmingham up, but it seems like they took the ones from Hackleburg and other tornadoes from that day down. Any clue as to other sources that might contain the other damage aerial videos that aren't Tuscaloosa-Birmingham?
Here are the Hackleburg aerials, but those are the only other ones I can find. I don’t know if the others were just removed from the playlist or removed from YouTube altogether.

EDIT:

Here are the Cullman aerials.

Reaction score
Here are the Hackleburg aerials, but those are the only other ones I can find. I don’t know if the others were just removed from the playlist or removed from YouTube altogether.

EDIT:

Here are the Cullman aerials.

I know they had much more of Hackleburg once upon a time, they had aerials that tracked the whole path through Hackleburg, Phil Campbell, Oak Grove, Mount Hope, Moulton, Tanner and Hazel Green areas. I wish I could find those aerials again.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
I have a great friend I grew up with in Smithville who has been shooting photos since high school and he posted a ton of pictures of the damage from the 4-27-2011 tornado on his Facebook page If you get time, you should take a look.

Carroll Photography

Back