• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Discussion of April 27, 2011 Outbreak

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I should have some news about that very soon, waiting for a confirmation of something this afternoon.
tenor.gif

You're a better person than I am, after that long of a wait....

Reaction score
And finally, for the tenth anniversary, the missing chunk of coverage, which should complete the entire event coverage from beginning to end

Awesome, although too bad about the tape noise/tracking issues. Trying to remember the last time I used VHS to record something; pretty sure it was several years before 2011. That's not your "EquusStorm" channel, did the person who had them upload it?

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah, that was in the last year and a half or so before we were able to switch to DVRs and the sort, wish we'd had that a little earlier.

That's Dana Barker from the old TW, now a met in E AL/W GA; I sent the tapes a long time ago when it was expensive to convert them and I didn't have the tech. I don't even care at this point if I have the original tapes etc back just as long as that's up.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
To commemorate the 10th anniversary of this fateful day, I've compiled a list of my top 5 favorite videos from the 2011 Super Outbreak:

#5: Phil Campbell, AL

#4: Ringgold, GA

#3: Cullman, AL

#2: Smithville, MS

#1: Tuscaloosa, AL

R.I.P. to all the victims of this horrible tragedy, April 27, 2011 Never Forget.

Reaction score
I heard the Cordova tornado tossed a 40-foot cargo container nearly half a mile, can anyone confirm? Extremely impressive if true.

It tossed a 2-ton utility trailer a full mile, actually. Check out my previous post on it:

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Having lived in Gulf Shores at the time, Hurricane Katrina scared me the most, followed by Ivan. But the 2011 Superoutbreak is the only weather event that brought me to tears.

MichelleH

Reaction score
I prefer this one as the tornado's shape is constantly changing and the bottom half of it lacks a clear condensation funnel. Plus the multivortex action when it goes over the church is incredible:

I think that is actually CRMC (Cullman Regional Medical Center, our area hospital) that came terrifyingly close to being hit that day.

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
Is there any existing footage of the long-tracked EF3 that hit Sawyerville and Eoline? I haven't been able to find any.
I like to think I have seen amateur or chaser footage from just about every big tornado that day, but I have never seen any of that tornado. I imagine most chasers who were in central Alabama were on the Tuscaloosa-Birmingham storm or stayed in Tuscaloosa after it was hit. I bet there just weren’t any guys chasing that tornado.

Back