• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX December 10 & 11, 2021 Severe Threat

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
What kind of winds does it take to completely bring down a 50,000 ton water town bolted to the ground? This is an object that would be immovable to you and I.
"hurrdurr debris impacts" so EF4. Like every murderer drinks water so we should just ban water. It's common sense, after all.

Tanner

Reaction score
I would be shocked if even Smithville got an EF5 rating today.
That's a bit egregious. Smithville would have been rated EF5, however I doubt Philadelphia or Rainsville would be. Hackleburg would be very close. Probably 200> rather than 210. I also believe El Reno-Piedmont would be deemed EF4.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That's a bit egregious. Smithville would have been rated EF5, however I doubt Philadelphia or Rainsville would be. Hackleburg would be very close. Probably 200> rather than 210. I also believe El Reno-Piedmont would be deemed EF4.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk
I can say with certainty I don't think Hackleburg would have gotten an EF5 rating today. The construction quality and context in a lot of areas would have been nitpicked to death.

Reaction score
FWIW, in this video Reed Timmer states that the Mayfield etc tornado produced "some of the worst damage (he)'s ever seen." As anyone who pays attention to the severe weather enterprise is aware, he is prone to hyperbole and overexcitement during the forecasting and chasing phases of a severe weather event; but in this case I have no reason to doubt him especially knowing what else he has seen in his chasing career.

Reaction score
Also, the Mayfield etc tornado may not have (at least officially, to the best of our limited knowledge of the exact nature of the 1925 event) dethroned the Tri-State Tornado for longest track ever; it did dethrone the April 24, 2010 Louisiana-Mississippi tornado (another tornado that was almost certainly substantially more intense than its official 170 MPH low-end EF4, but in this case there's not much controversy regarding the rating of the actual damage observed, it just didn't hit much outside of clipping Yazoo City) as the longest-tracked tornado in the NEXRAD era.

vanni9283

Reaction score
How can a
The water tower in Mayfield was actually horribly anchored with only 2 anchor bolts holding down each span.
View attachment 11108

Also, the Mayfield etc tornado may not have (at least officially, to the best of our limited knowledge of the exact nature of the 1925 event) dethroned the Tri-State Tornado for longest track ever; it did dethrone the April 24, 2010 Louisiana-Mississippi tornado (another tornado that was almost certainly substantially more intense than its official 170 MPH low-end EF4, but in this case there's not much controversy regarding the rating of the actual damage observed, it just didn't hit much outside of clipping Yazoo City) as the longest-tracked tornado in the NEXRAD era.
Maybe construction is robbing another violent tornado of EF5 status???

Evan

Reaction score
And according to the DI chart for an institutional building, the expected value that the such damage occurs at is 210 mph. I certainly think the UK research facility qualifies as an IB.

I made the argument earlier on that it could be considered an institutional building but after looking at the latest plans I found a couple of days ago I no longer feel that's the the case. Has some characteristics of an IB but more in common with the Junior/Senior HS DI in my opinion. An elementary school, however, it is not. A blend of IB/HS makes sense.

Not sure what kind of freaking elementary school these people went to.

Wonder if there's any mention of the 180mph rated roof as part of the notes on the Research Center.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
The first long-tracked tornado from the Quad-State Supercell (the AR-MO-TN track) has now been upgraded to EF4 as well.

Here's the PNS from NWS Memphis. Third violent tornado of the event.

atrainguy

Reaction score
On the bright side, at least most if not all of the other violent tornadoes of the night are being rated as such instead of all being 150-165mph EF3s.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Bowling Green and the first tornado in the Mayfield family being properly acknowledged as violent is excellent at least. I feel like at least two others, maybe three, were also violent, but seeing violent damage acknowledged as violent is always a welcomed shock.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
So apparently the BG tornado rating got taken down off the CRH page and revised back to EF3. This dissemination process is an absolute mess.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I kinda wish I'd just been unconscious until everything was finalized and not have to deal with the weird process

Away on a trip in Ohio til Monday, probably should've just gone off the proverbial radar til I got home lol

Back