• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX December 10 & 11, 2021 Severe Threat

Reaction score
I get the impression they were strong-armed into making a bad call by outside influences. Could be wrong though.
That wouldn't surprise me. I almost wonder if they're being told or at least encouraged to avoid rating "too many" violent tornadoes as such. I agree that it might have to do with the thinking that people won't want to move to areas that are prone to violent tornadoes.

Which would be completely stupid. I don't care where you are on the political spectrum, politics should never get in the way of science.

charolf98

Reaction score
Ah I can't laugh more at this. On the day of the final decision, a supposed-to-be EF4 property rated EF2, they use the word "likely", AND the decision maker did not even show up.

1639702018237.png

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
1612302.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 6.50.01 PM.png

I'm sorry, what? It's not even upper end EF2 either...

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
1639704400195.png
FGfooFnWUAQOey8.jpg

There is no DI for that house completely destroyed near Browning Road and Tommy Smith Road W of Bowling Green. Moreover, the picture taken below for two outbuildings destroyed on the property (EF1) doesn't show the house, but it's obvious from the wind rowing streak that it's the same property. In addition, none of the trees in that area are rated...

1639704262998.png

buckeye05

Reaction score
Is there any way to raise enough of an uproar that WFOSs will have to acknowledge the inconsistency and highly questionable calls that break the rules of the scale, and have zero precedence? It’s clear to me that whoever is running the NWS Louisville Twitter page are out of the loop and have little say when it comes to this situation.

Reaction score
Is there any way to raise enough of an uproar that WFOSs will have to acknowledge the inconsistency and highly questionable calls that break the rules of the scale, and have zero precedence? It’s clear to me that whoever is running the NWS Louisville Twitter page are out of the loop and have little say when it comes to this situation.
How can at least low-end EF4 damage be considered low-end EF2 damage and mid to high-end EF1 damage be considered low-end EF3 damage?