• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX December 10 & 11, 2021 Severe Threat

buckeye05

Reaction score
Note the slabbed foundations visible at the upper right at 1:30 and 2:00. Some large industrial buildings were also flattened at centre and upper right at 3:05. (Cf. 5:40.)
You, like usual, are overanalyzing and misinterpreting damage photos. I don't even know what else to say at this point.

akt1985

Reaction score
I haven’t heard any damage reports from Fort Knox. Did the tornado lift before reaching the military base? Looking at a map they were right in the path of the supercell.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I haven’t heard any damage reports from Fort Knox. Did the tornado lift before reaching the military base? Looking at a map they were right in the path of the supercell.
It occluded before hitting Fort Knox. There was a weaker tornado in the area afterwards, but it didn't last long. Storm outran the better instability.

buckeye05

Reaction score

I don't think he's wrong about the industrial buildings, to be fair.

I think he was referencing the self storage units, but you may be right. Those first two slabs were detached garage foundations though, not house foundations, the second of which still had walls standing.

vanni9283

Reaction score
I think he was referencing the self storage units, but you may be right. Those first two slabs were detached garage foundations though, not house foundations, the second of which still had walls standing.
Are you saying that all of the structural damage is weak structures???

buckeye05

Reaction score
Are you saying that all of the structural damage is weak structures???
No, I'm just saying the storage units are. Those come apart in EF2s. A second angle of that area does show some legit violent damage to larger industrial buildings that weren't visible in that initial clip I was referencing. The second half of the comment was addressing the other user's misidentification of garage/outbuilding slabs for house slabs.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Industrial building damage can be rated EF5, but I haven't seen an EF5 rated industrial building since Parkersburg, IA back in 2008. Curious to see if they find some in Mayfield or Dawson Springs. Also, the damage to that huge brick church in downtown Mayfield may be the most intense damage to a large, brick, multi-story building I have even seen. In addition, dome shaped structures such as that one are aerodynamic, and do not "catch" the wind like typical box shaped structures do, which makes it even more impressive. If someone reported that church structure was leveled that night and showed me a before picture, I don't even know if I'd believe them, but the aftermath photos don't lie. Even the violent Czech F4 earlier this year wasn't able to level structures of that type.

vanni9283

Reaction score
Industrial building damage can be rated EF5, but I haven't seen an EF5 rated industrial building since Parkersburg, IA back in 2008. Curious to see if they find some in Mayfield or Dawson Springs.
What are you trying to prove? That the damage that was done by this once in a generation tornado may not have been EF5 damage? I saw the damage to that candle factory, and it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that it was completely totaled.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Industrial building damage can be rated EF5, but I haven't seen an EF5 rated industrial building since Parkersburg, IA back in 2008. Curious to see if they find some in Mayfield or Dawson Springs. Also, the damage to that huge brick church in downtown Mayfield may be the most intense damage to a large, brick, multi-story building I have even seen. In addition, dome shaped structures such as that one are aerodynamic, and do not "catch" the wind like typical box shaped structures do, which makes it even more impressive. If someone reported that church structure was leveled that night and showed me a before picture, I don't even know if I'd believe them, but the aftermath photos don't lie. Even the violent Czech F4 earlier this year wasn't able to level structures of that type.
I do believe the building that was leveled in the damage pictures was not the same as the one pictured, it was another large brick church that was completely destroyed. However, the domed church in the picture was also very severely damaged.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
What are you trying to prove? That the damage that was done by this once in a generation tornado may not have been EF5 damage? I saw the damage to that candle factory, and it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see that it was completely totaled.
Chill out.