• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX December 10 & 11, 2021 Severe Threat

Fred Gossage

Meteorologist
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully community shelters will continue to become more common and personal ones will become much more affordable.

I can absolutely see taking myself and my family to the new community shelter located 2.9 miles away if it's a day with strong potential and there's a confirmed tornado 30+ minutes away.

If I was staring down a monster like the storms on 4/27 or last night, heck yeah, I'd "evacuate" like you two mention. But I've also intercepted a number of tornadoes before and used to chase frequently. It would be a last ditch effort. Don't know how much I trust our community shelter just yet. Construction isn't quite finished yet but when it is I'm going to go check it out and see if the GC did good work.
Yep, it has to be a personal family-level plan you have formulated in advance based on your circumstances. With an advance plan and in the special type of event, it can be and sometimes is certainly a good safety plan. Everyone in the know, fortunately, agrees that it's just not something I can stand on that green wall and tell everyone in the path of a violent tornado to do less than 30 minutes in advance, because the roads would be gridlocked in even a medium to smaller sized town.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This scene from Earlington is probably the most impressive damage I have seen from this tornado. The tossed train cars, large slabbed building, ground scouring and just overall breadth of the damage path is unbelievable.
TRN_Tornado_Derailment_3_Pearson.jpg

Evan

Reaction score
Yep, it has to be a personal family-level plan you have formulated in advance based on your circumstances. With an advance plan and in the special type of event, it can be and sometimes is certainly a good safety plan. Everyone in the know, fortunately, agrees that it's just not something I can stand on that green wall and tell everyone in the path of a violent tornado to do less than 30 minutes in advance, because the roads would be gridlocked in even a medium to smaller sized town.

It's already been referenced, but the day a station in OUN's area recommended people evacuate is a day I'll remember forever. I was terrified it would become a trend. Thank God common sense prevailed, because as you stated, it would lead to gridlock and pandemonium.

Speaking of community shelters, we still need better planning for areas with measurable numbers of mobile homes. I would imagine something like this already exists, but state and federal dollars should be available to construct shelters for every mobile home park or area with a concentration of mobile homes. Those folks deserve a lot better than they've historically gotten. Breaks my heart multiple times almost every year.

gregassagraf

Reaction score
Would it be less controversial, if we had a sufficiently precise measurement equipment, to just rate tornadoes based on wind speeds?

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Still waiting on photos/information from Cayce, Crutchfield, Benton, Princeton and Lewistown. Did see the satellite scouring aerial from Princeton and a brief YouTube video showing tree damage in Benton but that is all so far, anyone have anything new?

pohnpei

Reaction score
Some horrific damage showed on Dawson Springs's aerial video. This two story apartment was nearly leveled with only small portion of the interior room of the first floor still standing. This was certainly one of the strongest apartment damage that I have seen ever. It may even reached the non-existing ACT DOD7. Some may confused about tornado like Cookeville and Louisville leveled some apartment and only earned low end EF4 rating. But these apartments they encountered was more like residence rather than multi-story apartment that Joplin or Washington encountered. This was just Incredible.
-7d51dfc3f2a89067.png3ebc4e6b924d0553.png

Reaction score
One particular interesting DI that I am interested in was the church damage in downtown Mayfield. This large church was near completely destroyed by tornado.
The church appears to have been a multi-story, domed structure with a poured cement foundation and numerous interior walls, the last of which were evidently made of brick and mortar. The tornado practically reduced the church to the base of its first story, while actually snapping or breaking some of the bricks into smaller pieces. Wouldn’t the church as a DI constitute a potential instance of EF5 damage?

Back