• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX December 10 & 11, 2021 Severe Threat

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It's probably really bad that I see complete utter obliteration and think 'oh wow that might get high end EF3' - it's so hard for anything to get classified violent since 2000 I'm always surprised to see stuff rated anywhere close to what it ought to be

OHWX97

Reaction score
Yeah, it's really frustrating when it's been an ongoing problem for this long. The only good news is the area east of the base is basically unpopulated swamp.
It certainly could help, but is the problem possibly bigger than that? As @buckeye05 mentioned earlier, it really says a lot when weather geeks on the internet are able detect these tornadoes well before the professionals.

Evan

Reaction score
I sure hope they do. He’s one of the best, and with the exception of Westminster, his reputation of being overly conservative is completely undeserved.

Yeah, we're kind of talking about two separate things here to an extent. My grimace is about his work on the private side for insurers. I think he'll do a fine job surveying the tornadoes in Kentucky. It's a little far from the Gulf for him to claim the damage was caused by storm surge.

And, unlike Moore in 1999, I'm guessing his company isn't being paid to claim damage was caused by poor construction quality instead of an F5 tornado.

I don't want to derail this thread, but Marshall and Haag aren't exactly above reproach. People can Google if they have interest. I'm skeptical as to how someone can show a particular predilection and focus in one area (that damage was caused by poor construction, poor maintenance, poor building material, or poor anything else that might let the insurance company off the hook for obvious storm damage) yet remain unbiased in other contexts. Maybe it's all about who the client is. Odd way to achieve scientific consistency, though.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
That foundation is part poured slab, part CMU. Not eligible for EF5. Getting tired of people jumping the gun on this.
I mean honestly, what do you expect? This is what a record long EF5 drought gets you.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Yeah, we're kind of talking about two separate things here to an extent. My grimace is about his work on the private side for insurers. I think he'll do a fine job surveying the tornadoes in Kentucky. It's a little far from the Gulf for him to claim the damage was caused by storm surge.

And, unlike Moore in 1999, I'm guessing his company isn't being paid to claim damage was caused by poor construction quality instead of an F5 tornado.

I don't want to derail this thread, but Marshall and Haag aren't exactly above reproach. People can Google if they have interest. I'm skeptical as to how someone can show a particular predilection and focus in one area (that damage was caused by poor construction, poor maintenance, poor building material, or poor anything else that might let the insurance company off the hook for obvious storm damage) yet remain unbiased in other contexts. Maybe it's all about who the client is. Odd way to achieve scientific consistency, though.
He’s not like that though. Marshall uses contextual evidence, and even had a presentation highlighting examples of EF5 contextual damage. I’m not sure you are, but saying that all of his rating come down to him claiming everything is poorly built, is a mischaracterization of what he does.

Evan

Reaction score
He’s not like that though. Marshall uses contextual evidence, and even had a presentation highlighting examples of EF5 contextual damage. I’m not sure you are, but saying that all of his rating come down to him claiming everything is poorly built, is a mischaracterization of what he does.

I think you should closely read my post.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I mean honestly, what do you expect? This is what a record long EF5 drought gets you.
That’s totally fair, I just don’t want people perpetuating a skewed idea of what constitutes as genuine EF5 house damage. The last one I can think of where a reasonable case for EF5 damage can be made would be that large, anchor bolted cabin/house near Bassfield, MS that essentially vanished, with insane tree damage nearby. If that had been rated appropriately, I don’t think people would be reaching as much to find EF5 damage.

Evan

Reaction score

I thought everyone at this point knew block foundation is a no-no for EF-5. It's come up with how many storms?

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Ignoring that particular slab for a second, the way it stumped that tree nearby is incredible, especially since it was relatively out in the open.

Evan

Reaction score
Well I didn't know.

I didn't mean that to come off as sarcastic. That said, it's a grainy picture and not everyone is going to immediately see the blocks.

Back