• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX December 10 & 11, 2021 Severe Threat

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Screenshot_2021-12-11_at_20.png

266313904_915440199087210_4338335975595366338_n.png

I don't want to overly speculate here, but this is a University of Kentucky research facility that was newly built and appears to be completely destroyed. This may be an institutional building. If so, that carries a DOD 11 expected bound of 210 mph, which is well into the EF5 range.

Evan

Reaction score
Screenshot_2021-12-11_at_20.png

266313904_915440199087210_4338335975595366338_n.png

I don't want to overly speculate here, but this is a University of Kentucky research facility that was newly built and appears to be completely destroyed. This may be an institutional building. If so, that carries a DOD 11 expected bound of 210 mph, which is well into the EF5 range.

If it is in fact an IB structure then, yeah. It's pretty clear there's extensive damage to the building envelope.

Do you have a street address for the building? Bid documents are likely available online for it.

Your picture is a bit fuzzy, but there appear to be cooling towers and commercial air handlers on the roof.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
NWS Louisville is one of the more conservative WFOs when it comes to surveying. We’ll have to see what happens, but part of me is expecting excessively low-balled surveys. We’ll just have to see.
That one home swept away near Defiance that they rated EF3 should have absolutely been rated EF4 unless it was poorly anchored (which it might have been? Hard to tell from the photo)

Evan

Reaction score
Lots more photos from around the UK Research and Education Center btw:

Video of building renovations and expansion:

Timeline of building:

It's definitely what *I* would call an institutional building as it had labs inside, a conference center, offices, and meeting space. The exhaust for the lab fume hood is visible on the building roof as are multiple large air handlers and several cooling towers (indicating a chiller plant).

Architect's project page for the renovation/expansion:

buckeye05

Reaction score
That one home swept away near Defiance that they rated EF3 should have absolutely been rated EF4 unless it was poorly anchored (which it might have been? Hard to tell from the photo)
Not enough info for me to comment one way or another on that yet.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
NWS Louisville is one of the more conservative WFOs when it comes to surveying. We’ll have to see what happens, but part of me is expecting excessively low-balled surveys. We’ll just have to see.
Well Paducah will be responsible for a good chunk of the track as well.