• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX December 10 & 11, 2021 Severe Threat

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
The residential structures in Dawson Springs, Bremen, Earlington, and Cambridge Shores do not seem to be notably different from those that were impacted in Mayfield. So far the images from these locations indicate low-end EF4 as a possible ceiling, barring other DIs nearby that have not yet been documented. The high death toll from this event was likely related to its fast movement and occurrence after dark rather than an exceptional (by EF4+ standards) intensity, along with its having successively impacted populated areas.
Please just stop.

Reaction score
Greensburg KS and Spencer SD tornadoes took down water towers, but they were the old truss leg style and not a big modern one like this; even the Smithville MS tornado didn't take down the modern water tower downtown. It's an extraordinary indicator of intensity imo
Didn't Smithville also take a smack from an airborne vehicle and remain standing?

Edit: Disregard, saw someone else had confirmed in a separate post.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The residential structures in Dawson Springs, Bremen, Earlington, and Cambridge Shores do not seem to be notably different from those that were impacted in Mayfield. So far the images from these locations indicate low-end EF4 as a possible ceiling, barring other DIs nearby that have not yet been documented. The high death toll from this event was likely related to its fast movement and occurrence after dark rather than an exceptional (by EF4+ standards) intensity, along with its having successively impacted populated areas.
I wouldn't rush to assume what the construction of the homes along the ENTIRE PATH was based on Mayfield (which was literally 2 PERCENT of the path) alone.

Evan

Reaction score
On another forum I'm a member of (not a weather forum) a member's wife was in the candle factory during the tornado. She escaped with a co-worker through a hole in the roof after the building collapsed. Didn't provide any details on fatalities.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Anyone have recommendations on legitimate charitable foundations for donation?
Catholic Charities of Northern Kentucky is raising funds for tornado relief. Over 90% of money donated goes to the actual cause.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations on legitimate charitable foundations for donation?
Here's a list that includes some local organizations, which is usually your best bet for making an immediate impact:

I've also seen several local officials recommend the Western KY Red Cross, which is what I'll probably choose.

Edit: Not sure why my Western KY Red Cross link isn't working, but it's easy to find anyway.

Evan

Reaction score
It's not a direct damage indicator but I'm sure the engineering survey will take it into account and it could help bolster a very high end rating should they consider it

Should be able to get pretty specific information for the wind load rating from the design documents, submittals, and as-builts, but I'm not a structural engineer.

ANSI/AWWA D100-11 3.1.4 seems to be the standard that covers wind load ratings for structures like this and it uses ASCE 7-10 for doing the wind load calculations using the usual basic wind map. I would imagine a water tower of this height would be something like a risk category IV, but again I don't do structural

Bottom line, a structural engineer will be able to get VERY good data for this structure, and with this being a violent tornado there will obviously be several structural engineers at minimum involved with the QRT, survey, and ratings process.

I've no idea what is a common wind load rating for one of these towers, but it is an EXTREMELY important piece of the engineering process for a structure like this so it will be well-documented.

Last edited:

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
image.png.7f7eb19806ae307a39bac7a952c74eb8.png

This says a lot right here. Jeff was first on scene to the aftermath of Joplin.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Anyone have any photos/information from the first tornado? Haven't seen much except for the nursing home in Arkansas and the scouring in Samburg. I know there are fatalities but does anyone have a preliminary count?

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Should be able to get pretty specific information for the wind load rating from the design documents, submittals, and as-builts, but I'm not a structural engineer.

ANSI/AWWA D100-11 3.1.4 seems to be the standard that covers wind load ratings for structures like this and it uses ASCE 7-10 for doing the wind load calculations using the usual basic wind map. I would imagine a water tower of this height would be something like a risk category IV, but again I don't do structural

Bottom line, a structural engineer will be able to get VERY good data for this structure, and with this being a violent tornado there will obviously be several structural engineers at minimum involved with the QRT, survey, and ratings process.

I've no idea what is a common wind load rating for one of these towers, but it is an EXTREMELY important piece of the engineering process for a structure like this so it will be well-documented.
I'm pretty sure they will be examining and analyzing this particular tornado for a long time. There is a problem with communication as you would expect from the storm site so I wouldn't get too wrapped up in trying to figure out if it is a F5 or not since we are still really getting a trickle in of information