• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

COVID-19 detected in United States

gangstonc

Reaction score
The President has announced 2 cures...one is a medication the other plasma donation . I don't understand why we are going through the deaths and restrictions on life. I dont think anything like this has happened before!
The “cures” haven’t been proven safe yet, or even to work. Please remember to listen to medical experts for guidance. Politicians sometimes make mistakes.

Kory

Reaction score
While we don’t have a “proven cure”, a survey of over 6,000 doctors worldwide have show that treatment with anti-malarial drugs have shown the best results.

But recent findings on malaria drugs approved by more than 6,000 doctors in 30 countries are now making headlines due to its high rate of effectiveness on patients infected with the coronavirus.

Evan

Reaction score
While we don’t have a “proven cure”, a survey of over 6,000 doctors worldwide have show that treatment with anti-malarial drugs have shown the best results.

I hope hydroxychloroquine turns out to be helpful. There's a lot of variables when it comes to treatments and trying to do a real study of efficacy -- especially in the middle of a pandemic! But, I am also concerned that if we put too many eggs into the hydroxychloroquine basket without real evidence of its efficacy, we might miss a critical window for developing and trialing other therapeutic drugs.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I do think being desperate and just throwing hydroxychloroquine at every single COVID-19 patient that requests it (or gives permission for it to be used on them) will make it more difficult to determine if it works. It's a terrible catch-22, but we really do need proper studies with tightly defined control groups.

Jacob

Reaction score
Well the "gold standard" IMHE model updated overnight. I call it gold standard because it seems to be what all the government agencies keep referring to.

As for Alabama, the last 4 updates have shown approximately the following amount of deaths over the next 3 months

After last night's update? 923

Kory

Reaction score
Well the "gold standard" IMHE model updated overnight. I call it gold standard because it seems to be what all the government agencies keep referring to.

As for Alabama, the last 4 updates have shown approximately the following amount of deaths over the next 3 months

After last night's update? 923
Overall the model is down to 80,000 fatalities versus the 200,000 with the updated info overnight. I’m thinking 80,000 is still to high if that’s the kind of adjustments downward we’re seeing.

Kory

Reaction score
Hmm...published study from 2005. Again, you must weight the side effects in each patient versus the benefit, but why are so many acting like chloroquine as a treatment for SARS-CoV is some new, untested discovery?

The lead author is a scientist at the CDC special pathogens branch...

Chloroquine is effective in preventing the spread of SARS CoV in cell culture. Favorable inhibition of virus spread was observed when the cells were either treated with chloroquine prior to or after SARS CoV infection.

Kory

Reaction score
University of Minnesota is currently using hydroxychloroquine as a prophylactic in a trial of high risk patients. There are also thousands being treated at Michigan and New York hospitals with it. We should get some great results from this trial.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I hope hydroxychloroquine turns out to be helpful. There's a lot of variables when it comes to treatments and trying to do a real study of efficacy -- especially in the middle of a pandemic! But, I am also concerned that if we put too many eggs into the hydroxychloroquine basket without real evidence of its efficacy, we might miss a critical window for developing and trialing other therapeutic drugs.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I do think being desperate and just throwing hydroxychloroquine at every single COVID-19 patient that requests it (or gives permission for it to be used on them) will make it more difficult to determine if it works. It's a terrible catch-22, but we really do need proper studies with tightly defined control groups.
There are a lot of parallels between this and when AZT was discovered as a treatment during the AIDS crisis in the late 1980s. It was the first apparently effective treatment we had found for it, so people immediately jumped on it. It took a while to realize that it wasn't totally effective at suppressing the virus by itself and that it had toxic side effects at the doses they were prescribing at that point. But it had that same catch 22 of needing control groups to assess the effectiveness of the drug versus the ethics of withholding a potentially-effective treatment from people who would probably die otherwise. Of course, one of the public health officials at the forefront of that controversy was...Anthony Fauci.

Reactions: KoD

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
This horrid disease just got even more real for me. I found out today a good friend who has been sick for 11 days tested positive for Covid and was placed in the hospital yesterday. He is 55 yrs old and the epitome of health. Never smoked or drank alcohol.. exercised regularly and very slim and athletic. Has developed pneumonia and is on oxygen. Started him on hydroxychloroquine early this morning

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This horrid disease just got even more real for me. I found out today a good friend who has been sick for 11 days tested positive for Covid and was placed in the hospital yesterday. He is 55 yrs old and the epitome of health. Never smoked or drank alcohol.. exercised regularly and very slim and athletic. Has developed pneumonia and is on oxygen. Started him on hydroxychloroquine early this morning

Praying that he responds to the treatment and gets better.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
Do you know how or where he was exposed to the virus? Was he practicing appropriate social distancing behavior? Your description of your friend sounds like he’s the type of person that would take all of the recommended precautions.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Do you know how or where he was exposed to the virus? Was he practicing appropriate social distancing behavior? Your description of your friend sounds like he’s the type of person that would take all of the recommended precautions.
I talked to his cousin this evening and she is very close to him. She says they haven't figured out how he got exposed. He is more on the introverted side and doesn't go out and socialize very often. He does work in the dental field making crowns and bridges and molds peoples teeth and it could have possibly been from that but they can't pinpoint anything with certainty.

skelly

Reaction score
We can’t do this current stay at home lockdown for 18 months. For one it is worse on the country in the long run and second, the truth on the ground compared with projections doesn’t support or call for it.

Jacob

Reaction score
Things seem a lot more optimistic overall currently than they have for the past few weeks. All models keep adjusting down deaths and hospitalizations, so we may turn this corner on the initial wave a lot sooner than it looked even a week or two ago.

That doesn't minimize the seriousness to those that get it (such as Ghost's friend, hopefully he can pull through), but overall thing looks to be on the mend.

Interesting research came out in the last few days that might give doctors some better ideas of how to treat this. Some research has shown that the virus attacks the hemoglobin in the red blood cells leading to hypoxia for many patients. What results isn't true ARDS/pneumonia, and much more similar to carbon monoxide poisoning than true pneumonia. It could explain why in areas the death rates have been so high for those that had to be placed on ventilators, because the ventilators really couldn't do much for the underlying reason for the low O2 saturation.

If that research turns out to be correct, it could drastically change how doctors fight the disease going forward.

Last edited:

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We can’t do this current stay at home lockdown for 18 months. For one it is worse on the country in the long run and second, the truth on the ground compared with projections doesn’t support or call for it.
I don't think it will come close to 18 months. What the models are picking up on is the fact that a good chunk of the country is doing what is being asked of them and staying home. The initial figures used assumed that 50% of the country would follow the mandate and it is clear that a lot more than 50% are participating. The curve is flattening but return to normal operations has to be a phased approach or we risk starting it all over again.

Kory

Reaction score
Holy cow what a whopper that was dropped on the WHO by DailyMail.

The WHO director needs to resign. Now.

Indeed, it is not the first time that Dr Tedros has been accused of cosying up to China. Shortly after his election victory in 2017, it was alleged that Chinese diplomats had been heavily involved in lobbying for him.

UN records also show that Chinese contributions to both Ethiopia's aid budget and the WHO have substantially increased during times when he was in top leadership positions.

Edit: not sure if this is directly COVID-19 related but this has surely implicated his actions. Move to political thread if warranted.

Kory

Reaction score
Back