• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

COVID-19 detected in United States

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
We have to go back to work and work through this. If you catch it it is not a death sentence. We are starting to get a grasp on who is more at risk, they have to take extra precautions and stay isolated as possible. But it’s been said the cure can’t be worse than the disease...
If the cure for covid means that I’m possibly hungry or in financial trouble, but the cure for recession means that I’m possibly on a respirator or dead... I’ll take the former, please.

Jacob

Reaction score
We have to go back to work and work through this. If you catch it it is not a death sentence. We are starting to get a grasp on who is more at risk, they have to take extra precautions and stay isolated as possible. But it’s been said the cure can’t be worse than the disease...

A gradual re-opening shouldn't happen any later than May 1st, IMO, and I'm not sure it should wait that long in some areas.

The narrative has shifted greatly in the last couple weeks and people seem to have forgotten that the entire reason for the social distancing and lockdowns were to "flatten the curve", not to eliminate the disease all together, that was never going to happen.

Jacob

Reaction score
If the cure for covid means that I’m possibly hungry or in financial trouble, but the cure for recession means that I’m possibly on a respirator or dead... I’ll take the former, please.

Personally, I'll take my chances with getting COVID-19 at some point if it means my kids won't have to grow up in a depression-era USA.

Kory

Reaction score
A gradual re-opening shouldn't happen any later than May 1st, IMO, and I'm not sure it should wait that long in some areas.

The narrative has shifted greatly in the last couple weeks and people seem to have forgotten that the entire reason for the social distancing and lockdowns were to "flatten the curve", not to eliminate the disease all together, that was never going to happen.
This thing is getting herd immunity whether that’s through vaccination or exposure. That’s how nature works. We need to start mass antibody testing now.

Also, I heard someone that works at Maxwell AFB said the rumor is return to work for them is May 15.

Jacob

Reaction score
This thing is getting herd immunity whether that’s through vaccination or exposure. That’s how nature works. We need to start mass antibody testing now.

Also, I heard someone that works at Maxwell AFB said the rumor is return to work for them is May 15.

I'm not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me, ha. For clarification, I meant it was never going to be eliminated by social distancing. I agree it'll eventually die out from exposure or a vaccine (or a combination).

I'd really like the mass antibody testing to start ASAP, but I'm not sure how far away from that we are.

Kory

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me, ha. For clarification, I meant it was never going to be eliminated by social distancing. I agree it'll eventually die out from exposure or a vaccine (or a combination).

I'd really like the mass antibody testing to start ASAP, but I'm not sure how far away from that we are.
I was agreeing with you. It’s going to linger for however long we have a segment of the population who hasn’t had it/been exposed to it. Distancing isn’t going to kill it. A vaccine is realistically 12-18+ months away. So, whoever wants to stay locked up that long, more power to them. I don’t plan on it.

skelly

Reaction score
If the cure means totalitarian lockdown leading to food riots and somebody coming to kill me and my family for food I’ll take the Covid -19.

By the way, the underground economy and criminal economy will be back in full force and I don’t want good people to go that route cause they’re desperate.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
If the cure means totalitarian lockdown leading to food riots and somebody coming to kill me and my family for food I’ll take the Covid -19.

By the way, the underground economy and criminal economy will be back in full force and I don’t want good people to go that route cause they’re desperate.
Yeah but that's ridiculous, there's not going to be a totalitarian lockdown and there's plenty of food even for our indulgent population.

I'm thinking that if people have masks and actually wear them, we could get things back to normal sooner rather than later. It's unfortunate that there was and is such a shortage. It's about time we started transitioning back to precautionary normalcy

Jacob

Reaction score
Yeah but that's ridiculous, there's not going to be a totalitarian lockdown and there's plenty of food even for our indulgent population.

I'm thinking that if people have masks and actually wear them, we could get things back to normal sooner rather than later. It's unfortunate that there was and is such a shortage. It's about time we started transitioning back to precautionary normalcy

I'm all on board with more people wearing masks in public in the meantime, it's clear from how well South Korea and Japan have done stopping/slowing the spread that mask wearing greatly reduces the spread of this disease.

Last edited:

Kory

Reaction score
Alabama is developing plans to get the economy back open. It should be incremental. Start letting restaurants and nonessential business operate 50% of normal occupancy. Encourage folks to wear masks in public (this can be enforced more strongly on public transportation etc).

Reactions: KoD

skelly

Reaction score

This is based on rational people acting rationally. You have people pushing the 18 month shutdown. You have people pushing food supply chain possible disruptions. And this is just the mainstream normal garden variety outlets.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
This is based on rational people acting rationally. You have people pushing the 18 month shutdown. You have people pushing food supply chain possible disruptions. And this is just the mainstream normal garden variety outlets.
Call me an optimist but I don't think those who are pushing for 18 month shutdowns are going to gain any traction for success. That's not to say they aren't out there having some influence, but they're not going to dictate the free will of the majority of Americans based on their media propaganda. This virus is many times more deadly than influenza, it's a serious situation, but we have a rough estimate of it's mortality rate and who it effects the most and that won't be enough to scare everyone enough to drive this country into tyranny and chaos.
It's good to discuss that possibility though, and be critical of what the country has done so far. It helps to balance out the opinions of those who want a prolonged shutdown.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
Alabama is developing plans to get the economy back open. It should be incremental. Start letting restaurants and nonessential business operate 50% of normal occupancy. Encourage folks to wear masks in public (this can be enforced more strongly on public transportation etc).
Eating at restaurants with masks on is going to be interesting. ;)

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Here's something I saw while shopping. Here, you can go out, though it's not encouraged and things are a little weird. No shortages, now that people have calmed down a bit -- at first, WinCo was advertising MERS! No abundance, either, and there are still lots of empty shelves, though they have had a few necessities, like TP.

Anyway, here is the pic (given the message, think inserting the full image works -- hope it doesn't mess anyone up):

IMG_1426.jpg

The playground had red "danger" tape wound around all the equipment, which was sad, but the whole sidewalk was chalked. It was starting to mizzle, so the writing might be gone now. Not the spirit, though.

Back