• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

COVID-19 detected in United States

Evan

Reaction score
I’d say they are pretty good.

Whether an actual mandatory multi-week lockdown is issued or not, I believe state and local measures and increased federal measures will be result in essentially the same thing as an actual lockdown. We're slowing boiling the lobster by raising the temperature in increments to avoid widescale panic.

I cannot believe I just wrote the words I wrote in 2020, but I've been prepared for this unfortunately. It's going to get a whole lost worse before it gets better.

As I was writing this I found out Jefferson County has implemented numerous new restrictions. Expect this to go statewide very soon. As I said, we may not get a national order but the accumulation of restrictions will more or less equal one.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
It is quite easy to be the Monday Morning Quarterback.

I could win the Super Bowl every time come Monday morning.
The problem is that Trump actually had the chance to Monday morning quarterback by watching all of the other countries, but he chose to call an audible where he just stood behind the center and told everyone how great he is until the play clock hit zero.

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
Someone posed a good question to Spann today: If we were to have a severe weather event with a tornado risk during the duration of the coronavirus (certainly possible when we are only barely over halfway through March), would community storm shelters be able to open? They would be gatherings of more than 25 people (such gatherings are banned in Jefferson County, AL now). Spann said he was working on finding an answer.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
My office is now mandatory telework for two weeks (which I was gonna do anyway). Someone was extremely unhelpful today.
ETQIm3CXQAAZSsR

Kory

Reaction score
Someone posed a good question to Spann today: If we were to have a severe weather event with a tornado risk during the duration of the coronavirus (certainly possible when we are only barely over halfway through March), would community storm shelters be able to open? They would be gatherings of more than 25 people (such gatherings are banned in Jefferson County, AL now). Spann said he was working on finding an answer.
I would *assume* public shelters would be open and it would be a dereliction of duty if they didn't. Tornadoes have killed far too many people in this state and we have one of the highest rates of manufactured homes per capita.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Alabama is up to 36 cases. Listening to the WH Press Conference it sounds like the administration wants to send everyone in the next two weeks to help cover costs. The plan is being pitched Republicans today.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Technical Admin
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Technical Admin
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Hospitality industry in New Orleans. Hotel occupancy is 10-20% in NOLA’s festival season where its normally >80%.

$0 income for 2 months. The economic fallout from this will be catastrophic.
Most definitely. I hopes Trump's plan to get money to those who need it is successful. I do hope businesses help people with relief as well. Like Credit Card Companies and Mortgage Companies. I hope they don't get greedy and instead have compassion.

Evan

Reaction score

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  • Haha
Reactions: KoD

Jacob

Reaction score
Seeing some interesting news on twitter about Hydroxychloroquine and how well it worked on patients in a study in France. Apparently the Chinese and Koreans have been trying it some as well.

Could be potentially really big news in this whole ordeal if they can replicate the results of their recent study (90% tested negative after 6 days on Hydroxychloroquine vs. only 10% in the control group). Hydroxychloroquine is also an old drug that has been used to treat Malaria, and has been approved by the FDA for over 30 years.

Last edited:

skelly

Reaction score
Seeing some interesting news on twitter about Hydroxychloroquine and how well it worked on patients in a study in France. Apparently the Chinese and Koreans have been trying it some as well.

Could be potentially really big news in this whole ordeal if they can replicate the results of their recent study (90% tested negative after 6 days on Hydroxychloroquine vs. only 10% in the control group). Hydroxychloroquine is also an old drug that has been used to treat Malaria, and has been approved by the FDA for over 60 years.
Some of the YouTube gurus have been talking about this.

Jacob

Reaction score
Some of the YouTube gurus have been talking about this.

I’ve seen the links to those videos, but I haven’t watched any of them yet. Seems to be a lot of promise between that and two other malaria drugs, chloroquine and quinine.

It wouldn’t need to be a perfect cure to make a huge difference in this crisis and get us through this first wave. It would just need to be enough to keep the healthcare system from being overwhelmed.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I've been feeling short of breath for about 3 days but no fever, so I assume it's just allergies. No way I'd ever be able to get tested anyway.

Back