• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

COVID-19 detected in United States

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Given his age and the numerous people he comes into contact with daily, he needs to take all precautions.
Actually I was kinda concerned about him the other night during his address. He seemed out of breath at times.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Online Home School subscription services are offering free online access due to school closings.

Kory

Reaction score
Actually I was kinda concerned about him the other night during his address. He seemed out of breath at times.
All I could focus on was when he kept saying “coRONA.....virus” with odd emphasis on syllables. Or just “the virus” like some B-list Hollywood horror film.

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Online Home School subscription services are offering free online access due to school closings.

They that is a good list. Thanks for sharing. There are a few there that we've looked at trying. Guess now is better than never.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
I didn't watch the address when it was live. I went back to watch it. Sounds like he needs to cough but he is suppressing it and that is when he sounds out of breath. He needs to be watched carefully.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
@Lori just posted on FB that Birmingham is now performing drive through Coronavirus testing.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Well I just joined the work from home club until March 27th. Watching Trump's National Emergency declaration. I'm definitely worried he sick at the moment.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Well I just joined the work from home club until March 27th. Watching Trump's National Emergency declaration. I'm definitely worried he sick at the moment.

Yeah, I went back to the office to get my stuff and won't be back until...uh...I have no idea really.

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Evan

Reaction score
What a joke that Trump press conference was.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
What a joke that Trump press conference was.
Others share this sentiment...

Evan

Reaction score
Investors thought otherwise...

Some did. Doesn't mean smart investors did. Particularly since the press conference was obviously scheduled to coincide with the market close so that Trump's lies and obfuscations couldn't be fact-checked before the market closed. There's a reason why the market started dropping back down in after-hours.

By the way, Trump's claim that Sunday everyone would be able to go to a website and locate a local drive-up testing place was obviously a total lie. Here's confirmation:

Carolyn Wang, communications lead for Verily, told The Verge that the “triage website” was initially only going to be made available to health care workers instead of the general public. Now that it has been announced the way it was, however, anybody will be able to visit it, she said. But the tool will only be able to direct people to “pilot sites” for testing in the Bay Area, though Wang says Verily hopes to expand it beyond California “over time.”

The other thing is that retail or institutional investors don't have time to quickly digest something like "we will be able to test up to 5 million Americans" which for most people sounds amazing until you realize that's only 1.5% of Americans.

The Google website test location finder is something Trump either completely misunderstood or lied his teeth off about. Or both.

My point is simply that all he did was parade a bunch of people in front of the camera and do his typical "everything is tremendous, incredible, etc" sales pitch. I didn't buy that even back when he was on the Apprentice.

I don't think the market went positive because Trump gave some great speech. It's more that it was the first time he's not tried to downplay the situation during the entire speech and actually seemed to be being serious for a majority of the speech. Trump has handled this event as poorly as a leader could (he's not as bad as the Soviet leadership was with Chernobyl, but that he's even in the same ballpark is all that needs to be said).

I posted his statements in a different thread. He lied to the American people and goofed around with the virus because re-election is more important to him than people's lives. As if many of us didn't already know that.

Evan

Reaction score
6 confirmed cases in Alabama

AL Dept. of Public Health

Bureau of Clinical Laboratories (BCL) and CDC Testing
Total unique patients tested: 28
Total presumptive positives: 6 (see table above)
Total people approved for testing: 74*

That is absolutely insane. Alabama and the CDC combined have only tested 28 people and 6 were positive??? What an absolute dereliction of duty. No wonder Alabama didn't have any positive tests. They haven't been testing ANYONE.

No wonder they dumped this news late on a Friday. It isn't just embarrassing -- it should infuriate every last citizen of Alabama.

Evan

Reaction score
The more I think about it the angrier I get. If Kay Ivey had even the slightest bit of shame she'd resign in disgrace tonight.

There have been people all over the state begging for testing for weeks. And they were constantly stonewalled. We have UAB yet couldn't test anyone. This is beyond shameful. Again, every resident of Alabama should be infuriated beyond belief.

We're going to end up seeing significant community spread in Alabama unless we just absolutely luck out. I think most people paying attention suspected that the State wasn't even testing anyone, but for them to now come and show that it is 100% true is just mind-boggling. Ivey and the rest of our leaders care absolutely not one bit about any of us. They don't care about our elderly parents or grandparents, or family and friends with serious underlying health problems.

Furious doesn't even begin to describe it. If there was a just world Kay Ivey and her staff would end up in prison.

Back