• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

COVID-19 detected in United States

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Just about all sports leagues have now suspended operations. that means this weekend will suck for all sports fans out there. About the only new sports programming will be the NASCAR race in Atlanta on Sunday and PGA Tour golf, with no fans.

Jacob

Reaction score
Just about all sports leagues have now suspended operations. that means this weekend will suck for all sports fans out there. About the only new sports programming will be the NASCAR race in Atlanta on Sunday and PGA Tour golf, with no fans.

It and The Players Championship (golf) are about the only things still on, but like the NASCAR race, there won't be any fans.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Funny video created in 2015. I just thought it was funny and lighten the mood while reminding us to wash our hands LOL. Enjoy

Reactions: KoD

Kory

Reaction score
I’m just thinking back to when I used to be an instructor at UA and it was the really bad flu season of 2017-2018 (I even caught the flu myself and used the abbreviated week of MLK to recover). At one point I think 40-50% of my class had medical documentation of positive influenza test. But many had to miss extensive time and basically had to tell them “sorry, illness happens in real life and the world doesn’t stop and why we build in a drop grade. If this is severe enough, you’ll have to go through the office of student care and well being.” That was an office overwhelmed and moved very slowly due to the overwhelming nature of the flu season. What those students must be thinking now.

skelly

Reaction score
No. If anything our government leadership has downplayed all of this. We have done things in the past 48 hours that we should've done weeks ago.

Containment is not possible at this point. Only mitigation is an option. That requires social distancing by cancelling events, banning large crowds, ans and getting employees to work from home.

I fully expect most school systems to dismiss for a week or two in conjunction with Spring Break. Alabama will probably handle this poorly and not do it even though now is the time for us to be taking robust action.

We cannot make decisions based off of the numbers that have been tested or that are positive because our entire testing system is weeks behind where it should be. Absolutely embarrassing that a country with such quality epidemiology and public health assets has been so thoroughly embarrassed by leadership that wants to hide the actual extent of the virus spread as much as possible.

People will die that didn't need to die because we cared more about money than lives.
The public would not have stood for these steps weeks ago...

Kory

Reaction score
UA has cancelled all in person classes the rest of the semester. Will continue with distance learning. Students are being advised to pack up and leave and not to return after spring break.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I feel like we will hear something here at UNA tonight or in the morning. We have been advised employees would most likely have to report but all classes would go to an online format. We'd have to keep the library open but things may change depending on if/when they decided to close campus.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
My museum and all of the Smithsonian museums will be closed to the public indefinitely starting Saturday.

Evan

Reaction score
The public would not have stood for these steps weeks ago...

Leaders lead. They don't let the public run the government especially in unprecedented emergency situations.

South Korea did what they were supposed to. Why can't the United States? I'm not a Johnnie Come Lately to this either. Several weekends ago I was with a group of friends and I told them March Madness would be cancelled. I said we had a narrow window to actually get in front of this, and I hoped our leaders would show the leadership necessary to lead from the front. Nope. More leading from behind.

I don't intend for my comments to be aimed toward you. I'm just saddened (and angry) that we put temporary things and money above real leadership and pro-active planning and action. It's too late now. Mitigation is all that is left. Containment is beyond impossible for most places in the US. Now all we can do is hope to flatten the curve. No one knows how bad it will get (or how bad it won't). If it continues to accelerate and we can't flatten the curve, our Healthcare system will burst at the seams.

Right now we should be arranging to massively augment our existing capacity with temporary facilities and executing well-planned actions that we'd previously planned out for other pandemics. Very little of that seems to be happening at the Federal level or in the State of Alabama.

Last edited:

Evan

Reaction score
UA has cancelled all in person classes the rest of the semester. Will continue with distance learning. Students are being advised to pack up and leave and not to return after spring break.
Jefferson County has said they will not close schools. Just keep your kids home until 24 hours after a fever passes or if you think they are sick. But the did cancel out-of-state field trips for the next two weeks. So there's that.

Kory

Reaction score
“Several people” who attended Mardi Grad in New Orleans have tested positive for COVID-19. The Arkansas Department of Health said “their first patient likely contracted the illness during the trip to New Orleans.” Yeah, I suspect cases will skyrocket in Louisiana assuming they were properly testing.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Several of the people President Trump has had direct contact with have COVID-19.

Yeah I read that this morning. To include the President of Brazil. Do you think he will be Quarantined in the White House until it is determined if he has it or not?

Kory

Reaction score
Yeah I read that this morning. To include the President of Brazil. Do you think he will be Quarantined in the White House until it is determined if he has it or not?
Given his age and the numerous people he comes into contact with daily, he needs to take all precautions.

Back