• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

April Discussion

Reaction score
I think it was more of a "MBY" type post....and it hasn't been nearly as active as it could have been if all of the high risks had panned out to their full potential.

Friday had the storm of the year to date and it was in a blue box on a 2% day. Go figure.

Reaction score
I think it was more of a "MBY" type post....and it hasn't been nearly as active as it could have been if all of the high risks had panned out to their full potential.

Friday had the storm of the year to date and it was in a blue box on a 2% day. Go figure.
True, although one verified and the other two "half-verified", so I'd say it's still been a decently active season. The Dimmitt wedge tornado was impressive, definitely, but Friday's system so far has only produced one confirmed EF3+ tornado, and the claims from spotters that it was on the ground for hours haven't been verified yet, so I'm not 100% sure that it was the storm of the year so far. The system on February 28 for example ended up producing four EF3+ tornadoes, two of which were long-trackers.

pritchlaw

Reaction score
I tell you what, tv weather guys are some of the most thin-skinned people you'll ever find. I questioned Spann on his app and his tv forecast being so different one time and he went straight to my profile, saw that I was a Christian and attacked my faith in the first reply.

Kory

Reaction score
I tell you what, tv weather guys are some of the most thin-skinned people you'll ever find. I questioned Spann on his app and his tv forecast being so different one time and he went straight to my profile, saw that I was a Christian and attacked my faith in the first reply.
He is also a massive hypocrite when it comes to the enterprise (not to mention this lack of understanding parameters), but that's a discussion for a different time. You'll learn quite fast that there are huge egos in the weather enterprise and science in general....

Reaction score
Smoke Rise, AL (25 mi. N of downtown Birmingham)

Why would he attack your faith? James Spann is widely known to be active in his Baptist Church.

pritchlaw

Reaction score
He wasn't questioning christianity. Was questioning whether I was one or was behaving as one when I pointed out the discrepancy.

DDM

Reaction score
Our sirens sounded a few times yesterday as part of severe weather awareness week, and it made me really hungry for some storms. The last of the snow only melted a couple weeks ago and I'm already eagerly awaiting summer.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
First network issues now upgrades gone back...

Reaction score
Wanna see Blizzardlike conditions and a snowy forecast continuing right on into May?!

Capture.PNG

Just take a flight to Hawaii! Looks like they don't do Blizzard warnings there.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Honolulu HI
259 PM HST Sat Apr 29 2017

...WINTER STORM WARNING FOR BIG ISLAND SUMMITS...

.A Kona low will move close to the islands while a band of
increased moisture is expected to move over the Big Island on
Sunday, leading to wintry conditions on the upper slopes and
summits of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa.

HIZ028-301400-
/O.UPG.PHFO.WS.A.0003.170430T0400Z-170501T0400Z/
/O.NEW.PHFO.WS.W.0003.170430T1000Z-170501T0400Z/
Big Island Summits-
259 PM HST Sat Apr 29 2017

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 PM
HST SUNDAY...

The National Weather Service in Honolulu has issued a Winter
Storm Warning for snow and ice, which is in effect from midnight
tonight to 6 PM HST Sunday. The Winter Storm Watch is no longer in
effect.

* LOCATION...Big Island summits and upper slopes.

* HAZARD TYPE...Heavy snow and blowing snow.

* ACCUMULATIONS...Snowfall up to 6 inches possible.

* TIMING...Tonight through Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Poor visibility and snow covered roads.

* WINDS...Southwest to west 55 to 70 mph with gusts to 80 mph.

* VISIBILITIES...Less than 1/4 mile at times.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Warning means significant amounts of snow, sleet,
and ice are expected or occurring. Strong winds are also
possible. This will make travel very hazardous or impossible,
likely leading to the closure of the Mauna Kea summit road.

Back