• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX April 11th-13th, 2020 Severe Weather Threat

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score

Debris lofted and found over 175 miles away from the Bassfield EF4.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Apparently surveyors at LIX weren't able to actually go on foot to the more heavily damaged locations and hadn't even included that data point in the preliminary rating yet; definitely could still see a further upgrade with additional analysis but mid EF3 is certainly closer than high EF2

Just so we're clear this is the damage in question
View attachment 2909
I think that an anchor bolted home that has been swept THAT clean could use an EF4 rating, but hey I haven’t heard the rationale behind it. I’m sure there’s a reason.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I actually find the large home that has been levelled right next to that one as the more impressive instance of damage in that particular area.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Thomaston, GA rated half mile wide EF3; throw another one on the sizable EF3 pile

vanni9283

Reaction score
Here are a couple of radar shots I got of the two violent tornadoes in southern MS on Sunday. Unfortunately, I was monitoring a storm near me in AL and I forgot to also get a shot of the CC.

sUEPstI_d.jpg

qthModg_d.jpg
What are the velocity totals on the velocity images?

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Went and looked at the Carbon Hill high end EF1 path nearby, pretty substantial. Didn't go into the trailer park that was hit hardest for obvious reasons but still some significant damage elsewhere.

20200414_132031.jpg
Garage knocked over
20200414_132422.jpg
Major exterior wall and roof damage at end of house (EDIT, before significant repair, this house was the source of the 110mph rating)
20200414_132428.jpg
Mobile home completely destroyed (thrown from its original location to the left of road) next to house above
20200414_132804.jpg
One of many giant oaks down, this one crushing a house
20200414_133428.jpg
Edge of devastated mobile home park, at the back of park several trailers completely destroyed/rolled/tossed
20200414_133937.jpg
Canopy ripped off

Many, many large old trees snapped or uprooted. Bunch of trees that survived the F3 18 years ago now downed. Ironically the ill-fated Carbon Hill school has damage on the property (trees down, a small shed wrapped around a tower apparently) High EF1 seems the right call, though in theory some of the mobile home damage and the size of some of the trees snapped wouldn't be too out of place in a low EF2 either. Very wide extensive path of tree damage with small pockets of higher end damage including structural, but not very long.

Last edited:

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score

Here's the video, there is some very high end tree damage at the end. Lots of structures levelled or swept away. The radar signature is certainly matched by the level of damage here.

vanni9283

Reaction score

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score

Another EF3 confirmed in Columbia's CWA.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Spann lists Dora/Bagley as being rated EF2; that makes three tornadoes in Walker.

Back