• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX April 11th-13th, 2020 Severe Weather Threat

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The chaser drone shots already up on Youtube show a very clear violent tornado path with the characteristic brown, lifeless aftermath of shredded trees and mud covering things, not seeing any key EF5 type indicators but definitely an extremely high end tornado. Or tornadoes; multiple tornadoes in those two cells probably had violent potential.

Gail

Reaction score
The chaser drone shots already up on Youtube show a very clear violent tornado path with the characteristic brown, lifeless aftermath of shredded trees and mud covering things, not seeing any key EF5 type indicators but definitely an extremely high end tornado. Or tornadoes; multiple tornadoes in those two cells probably had violent potential.

Yeah, I’m friends with Brandon and have seen his horrible footage (not in quality - in damage). I just meant seeing it all together. It’s probably a bit overwhelming. :(

Reaction score
It seems kind of borderline to me. I would compare it to the Tuscaloosa EF4 tornado on April 27, 2011 as far as the strength goes.

Gail

Reaction score
I think they may be getting complaints about that rating! They’re my local WFO, and I can’t remember them coming back like this on a rating post.
54705CAC-352F-4A67-8AB5-3638D3BA99D9.jpeg

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Already have people complaining that they didn't go EF5. Happens every time.

This clears a lot up placement-wise

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
No I don't see any standout EF5 indicators so I think EF4 is a good call but there are some who want every big tornado to be rated an EF5, just a fact of social media lol

Reaction score
Some of the nastiest radar signatures I've seen since Lawrence-Linwood and Lee Co. from last year (I was asleep for Nashville-Cookeville), with a more classic reflectivity signature than either of those had.

DGX_2125.pngDGX_2125_CC.png

Also, I learned a little tibit yesterday. There is such a place as "Hot Coffee, MS."

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Ya didn't miss too much with Cookeville (barring a decent CC sig the velocity/reflectivity was the most strangely unimpressive for a violent tornado I've ever seen) but yeah it's truly hard to get more classic violent looking than that Mississippi monster. Am shocked the death toll wasn't far higher but of course that's a great thing

Reaction score
No I don't see any standout EF5 indicators so I think EF4 is a good call but there are some who want every big tornado to be rated an EF5, just a fact of social media lol

So I wonder if there would be any complaints if a rope tornado got rated EF5? You tell some people the rating is based on the most intense damage found and not the size but it still never seems to register with them. Sometimes I feel like the movie Twister may have something to do with it.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Who knows, possibly. Usually it's people wanting to see a much higher rating (and assuming that every big, mean looking wedge is violent) but I'm sure those would question if the Elie, Manitoba tornado of 2007 really was an F5 since it was so tiny. Though, given that it ripped well constructed frame homes off their foundation in one piece and disintegrated them in midair, I'd be inclined to agree with Environment Canada that size isn't everything on that rating lol

Reaction score
Who knows, possibly. Usually it's people wanting to see a much higher rating (and assuming that every big, mean looking wedge is violent) but I'm sure those would question if the Elie, Manitoba tornado of 2007 really was an F5 since it was so tiny. Though, given that it ripped well constructed frame homes off their foundation in one piece and disintegrated them in midair, I'd be inclined to agree with Environment Canada that size isn't everything on that rating lol
Also considering the contextual evidence of the Elie tornado as well. A cargo van that weighed nearly a ton was loaded with drywall and it was picked up and thrown 2 football fields in one toss. The trees near the home that was destroyed in F5 fashion, were also completely debarked and denuded.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I cannot get over the damage to this house at 1:05. This is one of the cleanest sweeps of a well-built house I've seen in quite a while. Hardly any recoverable debris. Also note some of the anchor bolts were actually ripped out (speaking of Elie)! Only thing keeping this from EF5, is the tree damage on the property isn't what you'd see with a 5, with little debarking and even quite a few leaves remaining. Still, I think they should up the wind speed estimate to 190 MPH.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I have to wonder if some of the green boughs laying around the foundation blew in from elsewhere on the back side of the tornado, as there are definitely some pretty thrashed and mud/hay covered trunks also laying around that WOULD line up more with a violent tornado

buckeye05

Reaction score
I have to wonder if some of the green boughs laying around the foundation blew in from elsewhere on the back side of the tornado, as there are definitely some pretty thrashed and mud/hay covered trunks also laying around that WOULD line up more with a violent tornado
Exactly what I was thinking.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
BMX has surveyed four tracks (Fayette EF0, Fayette/Walker EF1, Blount EF1, Walker EF1) PNS is out for those as of 10pm. Still got a lot to go heh.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Already have people complaining that they didn't go EF5. Happens every time.

This clears a lot up placement-wise

Between them choosing not to upgrade to a high risk and those tornadoes likely being rated EF4, this event was basically tailor-made to get the weenies up in arms on Twitter.