• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe WX April 11th-13th, 2020 Severe Weather Threat

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
If all the trends continue, wonder if we'll get a D3 Moderate. Probably enhanced, but models do seem to be in closer agreement...

Enhanced for sure, enough data warrants a moderate but they tend not to issue day 3 moderates much anymore, but if they did, this would be the system to do it.

Reaction score
...and I'm already starting to weigh out bunkering at home with only a hallway or going to the school for the shelter on Sunday. I wouldn't even think twice about it, but I have leukemia and the COVID-19 issues....not a great combination for the day for sure.
That's a terrible situation! My heart goes out to you!

Kory

Reaction score
Our luck may have run out of with cutoffs meandering out west and sliding East as the polar jet races off. This is a textbook phase of the polar jet and cutoff which allows for rapid deepening of the system and strengthening wind fields.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
So far the sounding sounding analogs I've seen for this... May 4 2003, Nov 10 2002, Dec 16 2000, Feb 21 1971. Literally any of those are very bad news

Kory

Reaction score
Just check the instability we’re getting with high temps only in the low 70s. With the kind of warm air advection from the south alone, that is too cool. We’ve seen this song and dance before with surface temps...

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
12z NAM is apocalyptic. This is near Greenville, MS.

nam_2020040912_081_33.44--91.06.png

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
The whole setup give me a bit of a headache due to the fact this is based on the idea of a trough transitioning to a cut-off low, then rejoining the westerly flow as it pivots, opens up and ejects. There will be some interaction with the main jet as it joins the westerly flow that models are not going to get 100% right, especially if the cutoff low is either displaced even slightly or moves a little quicker. All this causes me to be cautious in going too far in predicting and overstating the threat. However, as of right now, I do believe the warm sector will be wide and perhaps uncontaminated- especially west of I 65. The fact that many people will already be home gives me some comfort in knowing that at any other time, the human toll could be higher. Also, I could see the "sweet spot" stretch from near Jackson Mississippi to near Birmingham, maybe a little north of there too.

Kory

Reaction score
I remember that, that caused the Yazoo City tornado.

Let me ask, do you see any similarities to this upcoming setup and April 15, 2011?
4/24/10 and 4/15/2011 were both occluding troughs by the time they affected Dixie meaning wind fields weren't strengthening. This one won't be occluding, but I think the wind fields/fontal placement will be about the same as 4/24/10, which had multiple long track tornadoes.

Kory

Reaction score
80-85kt LLJ streak over AL between 00z and 03z Monday (so Sunday evening between 7pm and 10pm) on the Euro....

That is un-freakin-real when you combine that with the kind of instability we're having at face value...not even adjusted for surface temps being a bit too cool (still showing low to mid 70s area-wide).

Kory

Reaction score
If a HIGH RISK was needed, which is very slim, which ingredients would be needed to be stronger or more defined?
It would not shock me to see a high risk. We won't know til the day of, but verbatim, these are pretty high parameters. The degree of how destabilized we get after the morning round will need to be determined, but there is some indication of subsidence behind the morning wave...meaning we will see some sunshine in the face of big-league warm air advection.

Back