• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX April 11-14th, 2022 Severe Weather Threat

UK_EF4

Reaction score
18z HRRR joining the more progressive bunch of models, leaving just ECM and UKMO back with a slightly slower system, with the strongest LLJ exiting Arkansas and surrounding areas by 18z. Environment still looks favourable further North, but large scale synoptic pattern favours a more linear mode. We *may* have dodged a higher-end potential, but we will see. 1649707214629.png

Fred Gossage

PerryW Project Supporter
Meteorologist
Reaction score
18z HRRR joining the more progressive bunch of models, leaving just ECM and UKMO back with a slightly slower system, with the strongest LLJ exiting Arkansas and surrounding areas by 18z. Environment still looks favourable further North, but large scale synoptic pattern favours a more linear mode. We *may* have dodged a higher-end potential, but we will see. View attachment 13358
If the surface low occluding wasn't pushing the northern end of the front so quickly so that it would be tucked back westward a little over central Missouri into Arkansas in a more north-to-south orientation, that would still be a trough orientation favorable for a fully discrete storm mode. However, the northern end of that front races eastward on the synoptic level, and that causes the front to be parallel to the deep-layer shear, despite the broad-base nature of the upper trough. You don't get more angled deep-layer shear vectors until you get farther out into the warm sector where the deep-layer shear magnitudes are a good bit too weak to support supercell structures. Yeah, this one definitely looks a lot more scary at first glance than it actually does when you start digging into the details.

And this deep-layer shear orientation/magnitude problem is an issue across all guidance for the most part, not just the HRRR. Deep-layer shear orientation and magnitude are life/death, make-or-break critical to storm mode, no matter what composite parameters, CAPE, and SRH look like.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
10% hatched tornado probabilities and 30% hatched hail probabilities to compliment the upgrade to ENH over parts of OK and AR today... heads up.
Woooohooooo

South AL Wx

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Tornado Watch issued. 70/40 probs.

ww0107_radar.gif

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Latest GFS SCP sounding from SE OK within the watch area. Unless I'm missing something looks like the cap won't be a huge problem, but I will say with modest shear and a relative lack of diurnal heating today storms may struggle to become surface-based. Only one way to find out though...
update.JPG

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Severe thunderstorm headed towards Fort Smith, AR.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Stop me if you've heard this one before, but if this thing produces, it's going to pass very close to the Fort Smith radar.

WesL

Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Well south of us in Fayetteville but worth watching as I believe the instability is creeping north.

Meanwhile in Ft. Smith

Attachments

• 62B074AB-8D05-4A61-97B8-C33182E06479.png
    62B074AB-8D05-4A61-97B8-C33182E06479.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

WesL

Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Spotter reports it is on the ground approaching Ft. Coffee

WesL

Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Forth Smith reporting tennis ball sized hail

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Fort Smith's radar is still standing, but past Fort Smith it's definitely making a valiant effort to produce now
1.JPG