• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

2023 Tropical Weather

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Not the right ocean but we could be looking at one of the more significant tropical events to ever affect the Arabian Peninsula. Obviously the last thing Yemen needs given the frail state of the infrastructure there.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Watching Norma come ashore (again) on the western side of Mexico. They had another storm last week? Once it hits those mountains, it becomes a flood event for the eastern side. I've got a few members of my team in Torreon and they tell me in the list of things that don't go well down there flooding is near the top.

andyhb

Reaction score
Otis is now a Cat 5 and is getting perilously close to Acapulco. Pretty hard to find a worse scenario along the Pacific Coast of Mexico than this, especially given the short notice of Otis' explosive intensification.

Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 9.55.41 PM.png

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yikes. This is exactly the reason that when there's little word coming from an area after a major storm's passage, it's probably not a good thing.
F9SL9HoXEAAo8DY

OtisMayor.jpeg

F9TQx0lXYAASMeF

F9TQx0rX0AAGCCG

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
At least these people were not in the surge zone.

Per Twitter translate of this tweet, intensification was from "perfect interaction between: Hot sea: 30-31ºC...Divergent outflow: powerful cloud developments...Jet stream: 'pushed” towards land and with more divergence'"

:(

Last edited:

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think the more disturbing question is why did the models whiff on this so hard? They handled Lee's explosive intensification pretty well, so it's not like it's something totally unprecedented that they can't resolve. This was basically the worst possible scenario though, unforecast rapid intensification from TS to cat 5 right before landfall in a highly populated area that isn't accustomed to strong hurricanes.

Back