• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

2021 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan

Reaction score
Does everyone understand this is going to get worse before it gets better? Even if we escape additional violence between now and the day after Biden's Inauguration, Trump's cult-like hold on the GOP is not going to be degraded one iota.

It's why so many GOP members of Congress are claiming that impeachment would be divisive or that the real issue from this week is Big Tech's power. Even after Trump urged his supporters to attack the Capitol, which almost resulted in their murder or public execution, the GOP members of Congress are still more concerned about maintaining Trump's approval and getting votes from his cult.

This isn't over. It's not going to be over for a long-time. There's no magical return to normalcy in a few weeks. Nothing is going to change unless and until the cult has been broken apart. The GOP shows zero signs it is interested in ejecting Trump from the party as long as there remains an electoral advantage in Trump keeping his cult together.

It's being reported that Trump plans a trip to the Alamo during the upcoming week. I'm sure that will end well. Gee, can't imagine why he'd choose the Alamo or how there might be any symbolism there. If Trump's Twitter account hadn't been suspended he'd have already disavowed his condemnation of the riots. But don't worry, he'll do that this week explicitly during this travels and attempt to gain a social media foothold elsewhere.

BTW, I'm glad to see Democrats are finally getting serious about domestic terrorism and terrorism in general. Of course the Republicans have now all largely forgotten all their rhetoric surrounding the attack on our Consulate in Benghazi. The Capitol riots are inarguably a much bigger intelligence and security failure than the Benghazi attacks, but who wants to bet the GOP acts 100% different when investigating the root cause of the events at the Capitol? Wouldn't want it to get out that Josh Hawley, Ted Cruz, Mo Brooks, Paul Gosar, Louis Gohmert, and the President of the United States States played direct roles in inciting a terrorist attack on US soil.

Think about the bolded sentence above. Does anyone disagree that's what happened? I'm serious. I'm not engaging in hyperbole. I believe that's the indisputable conclusion from this past week's events but I'd love to hear from anyone who sees things differently.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The concentration of power in a few hands is what concerns me. Social media is the most powerful media platform or tool available today. 3-4 companies, led by a handful of top leadership/CEOs effectively control whether or not an American can express their thoughts using that platform or tool.

As I said previously, I don't have any answers as to how we balance free speech interests alongside the real harm caused by people inciting violence and urging serious harm to befall others. I think what's particularly problematic is Khamenei, Putin, Xi, etc all having Twitter accounts while they've all obviously DIRECTLY supported terrorism, genocide, and activities substantially worse than even Donald Trump. Mohammed bin Salman still has a Twitter account even though he ordered an American citizen to be kidnapped and chopped up with a bonesaw.

I think Trump is a very bad person, but there's plenty of other world leaders who are truly evil authoritarians who are getting a free pass. Again, I think it was prudent to ban Trump and Twitter being a private company certainly has that right. But, they look like hypocrites when they allow people who are pure evil to propagandize violence and genocide via their Twitter accounts without repercussion while Trump caught a ban. I support Trump losing his ability to incite violence on Twitter. Now do the same for the people who are even worse.
I agree 100%!!

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Sorry to hear this for sure. Those guys did the best with what they had. Their leadership let them down but most of them did their job amazingly with the resources they had against a mob. I hope that their leadership is getting them some mental help as I'm sure they have witnessed a lot this week.

There is one correction to this story. In the past paragraph, they mention that the White House had not brought the flag to half-staff in honor of the funeral of the other Capitol Police Officer that died during the mob/riot/insurrection event. I did see a news source a few minutes ago that said that the White House had finally lowered their flag.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Does everyone understand this is going to get worse before it gets better? Even if we escape additional violence between now and the day after Biden's Inauguration, Trump's cult-like hold on the GOP is not going to be degraded one iota.

It's why so many GOP members of Congress are claiming that impeachment would be divisive or that the real issue from this week is Big Tech's power. Even after Trump urged his supporters to attack the Capitol, which almost resulted in their murder or public execution, the GOP members of Congress are still more concerned about maintaining Trump's approval and getting votes from his cult.

This isn't over. It's not going to be over for a long-time. There's no magical return to normalcy in a few weeks. Nothing is going to change unless and until the cult has been broken apart. The GOP shows zero signs it is interested in ejecting Trump from the party as long as there remains an electoral advantage in Trump keeping his cult together.

It's being reported that Trump plans a trip to the Alamo during the upcoming week. I'm sure that will end well. Gee, can't imagine why he'd choose the Alamo or how there might be any symbolism there. If Trump's Twitter account hadn't been suspended he'd have already disavowed his condemnation of the riots. But don't worry, he'll do that this week explicitly during this travels and attempt to gain a social media foothold elsewhere.

BTW, I'm glad to see Democrats are finally getting serious about domestic terrorism and terrorism in general. Of course the Republicans have now all largely forgotten all their rhetoric surrounding the attack on our Consulate in Benghazi. The Capitol riots are inarguably a much bigger intelligence and security failure than the Benghazi attacks, but who wants to bet the GOP acts 100% different when investigating the root cause of the events at the Capitol? Wouldn't want it to get out that Josh Hawley, Ted Cruz, Mo Brooks, Paul Gosar, Louis Gohmert, and the President of the United States States played direct roles in inciting a terrorist attack on US soil.

Think about the bolded sentence above. Does anyone disagree that's what happened? I'm serious. I'm not engaging in hyperbole. I believe that's the indisputable conclusion from this past week's events but I'd love to hear from anyone who sees things differently.
I’m not sure if it’s more accurate to call it a terror attack, assassination attempt, or coup.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not sure if it’s more accurate to call it a terror attack, assassination attempt, or coup.
Assassination attempt? I see terror attack.. coup is a stretch to me but not outside the realm of consideration.. but I'm not seeing assassination

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
The GOP used to mean the "Grand Old Party". Now I think it means "Gaslighting Our People"

gangstonc

Reaction score
Assassination attempt? I see terror attack.. coup is a stretch to me but not outside the realm of consideration.. but I'm not seeing assassination
There were people there with flex cuffs, a noose was erected, and people were asking where Pence was and calling him a traitor. If the crowd had managed to get to Pence or Pelosi, I don’t think either would have survived.

Also several posts on Parker called for assassinations.

What do you think the intention of the pipe bombs placed at the DNC and RNC was?

Last edited:

Evan

Reaction score

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Democrats were told that the Capitol Police and the National Guard were preparing for potentially tens of thousands of armed protesters coming to Washington and were establishing rules of engagement for warfare. In general, the military and police don’t plan to shoot anyone until one of the rioters fires, but there could be exceptions.

From Evan's link, but wow. These appear to be credible threats. Scary times upcoming if just any part of this tries to go down.

gangstonc

Reaction score
AOC says she thinks some republican lawnakers helped the mob before the riot. There has to be evidence of these claims before accusations are thrown out.

Evan

Reaction score
The moral cowardice and whataboutism of the GOP members of Congress who refuse to hold the President accountable for his incitement of violence are as much of a stain on our democracy as the insurrectionist rioters were. I firmly believe that. They know censure is toothless and ill-suited for the gravity of the President's actions on 1/6. His incitement directly led to the deaths of at least 6 people. Repugnant.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend who posted this on FB... I think it is spot on.

It’s interesting that Americans who fiercely believe that bakers and florist shouldn’t be forced by the Govt to do things that violate their conscience, now believe that Amazon should be forced to host a web site that violates basic standards of decency.
Here’s some of the Introduction to Amazon’s brief:

“This case is not about suppressing speech or stifling viewpoints. It is not about a conspiracy to restrain trade. Instead, this case is about Parler’s demonstrated unwillingn and inability to remove from the servers of Amazon Web Services (“AWS”) content that threatens the public safety, such as by inciting and planning the rape, torture, and assassination of named public officials and private citizens.”

** Admin removed comments that could potentially violate our ToS - for the quotes from the lawsuit please see the link at the bottom of the post** - @WesL

This is what happens when there is no moderation or fact checking. A cess pool of vulgar degeneration. There were many fine and decent people on Parler, who simply wanted another forum in which to share their views. But Parler wouldn’t exercise any moderation. A failure of management. This is why Parler was shut down. You don’t get to yell, Fire, in a crowded theater. The entire brief is below.

Last edited by a moderator:

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend who posted this on FB... I think it is spot on.

It’s interesting that Americans who fiercely believe that bakers and florist shouldn’t be forced by the Govt to do things that violate their conscience, now believe that Amazon should be forced to host a web site that violates basic standards of decency.
Here’s some of the Introduction to Amazon’s brief:

“This case is not about suppressing speech or stifling viewpoints. It is not about a conspiracy to restrain trade. Instead, this case is about Parler’s demonstrated unwillingn and inability to remove from the servers of Amazon Web Services (“AWS”) content that threatens the public safety, such as by inciting and planning the rape, torture, and assassination of named public officials and private citizens.”

** Admin removed comments that could potentially violate our ToS - for the quotes from the lawsuit please see the link at the bottom of the post** - @WesL

This is what happens when there is no moderation or fact checking. A cess pool of vulgar degeneration. There were many fine and decent people on Parler, who simply wanted another forum in which to share their views. But Parler wouldn’t exercise any moderation. A failure of management. This is why Parler was shut down. You don’t get to yell, Fire, in a crowded theater. The entire brief is below.

I'm sorry about the content being too profane to post... thanks for editing it

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
I have remained Silent here during this time for a reason. First off, Let me say I think many of you who are posting here are only doing so because you believe a narrative of your side and forget to see the entire picture.

First off let me say that as a supporter of DJT that I disagree with the invasion of the Capitol Building. I do believe that the perpetrators where let in, but I do not know who let them in. It could be democrats, it could be republicans. I just do not know. The media will not cover it correctly and be objective on either side to show the entire truth about what happened. Anyone who perpetrated or allowed those to enter the Capitol, or had a part in it should be removed from Congress and any of the Capitol Police Officers that did so should also be fired.

To those who say that it is OK to punish or abolish Parler because of the riots that happened in the Capitol and blame it on Parler, or that say that it is OK to censor Trump or any conservative voice on Social Media because you disagree with their opinion, be careful what you wish for. To those who say big tech has a responsibility to blot out request for violence, I am OK with that but it has to be done with disregard to who is spreading the request for violence. To blot out an entire company because of the actions of a few is paramount to a monopoly.

Here is the one Democrat that I can agree with on this issue. Her statement while on Fox News (Because CNN, NBC, CBS, and ABC along with any other liberal media wouldn't let her come on their shows and say it) is right on, paramount to what the Constitution of the United States is about.

Is Talkweather going to shut me down just because I have a differing of Opinion than the majority who speak on this political part of the forum? Would it be wise to shut people up because they do not agree with the "Popular Opinion" of the day.

What is next? Are you going to vote for Religion to be shut down too because baked into religion especially Christianity is the discussion of things that we shouldn't be doing and yet they go against what is quickly being the social norms?

Why don't you all censor those who come out and say hateful things or request violence on those people on the conservative side of the isle?

So lets think about this. Do we want our Constitution to remain whole, or are those on the left ready to remove the First, Second, and Fourth Amendments of the constitution to suit their own wants? Again I say be careful what you wish for. Because while right now the democrats are in control. And while it may seem impossible for the Conservative to regain Congress or the Presidency, it more than likely will happen again and then what. Do you want that president to silence your speech or your thoughts? How about if a Conservative company shut down your voice purely on disagreement? How would you feel? I would imagine you would be disheartened and frustrated, upset and felt abandoned by the very people who are there not to take away rights but to ensure that the rights of every American is properly protected by those who would try to remove the rights of the people.

To be clear, I am a Christian. I follow the word of God. Here is my thought on the subject of our Rulers.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Tommy Tuberville is quickly becoming the biggest joke in the US Senate
I do think he has some learning to do. He needs to just stop making comments or interviews until he gets a complete understanding. Time for him to do some actual research instead of steeling plays and players from other teams.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Jay, I don’t think we need to infringe upon the rights of these private companies. Talk weather, Facebook, Twitter have the right to ban or censor me on their platform for any reason, justified or not.

The only reason why it would matter if the protestors were let in is to punish those who allowed them in. I think the media is doing a reasonable job reporting on this.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Jay, I don’t think we need to infringe upon the rights of these private companies. Talk weather, Facebook, Twitter have the right to ban or censor me on their platform for any reason, justified or not.

The only reason why it would matter if the protestors were let in is to punish those who allowed them in. I think the media is doing a reasonable job reporting on this.
You and I will disagree on the media doing a reasonable job. They haven't done a reasonable job in years covering anything.

And yes while they are private companies, they have gained a monopoly in their specific areas and therefore threaten to ban, censor, or remove any voice or opinion that does not go along with their narriative. Even go as far as to remove companies that they disagree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back