• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

2020 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Here's NPR's version of "FACTS BE DAMNED"
Is there any video of the other shooting? I’ve seen the video of the guy attacking him with the skateboard and the other guy running up to him with the gun, but that’s just 2 people. Was the third before or after this?

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any video of the other shooting? I’ve seen the video of the guy attacking him with the skateboard and the other guy running up to him with the gun, but that’s just 2 people. Was the third before or after this?
Before, some guy had been chasing him and threw something at the 17 year old, continued advancing and got shot in the dome by some vehicles. The gunman made a fast telephone call and quickly walked off, eventually pacing down the road towards police where the other at least two videos show the other two people get shot.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Before, some guy had been chasing him and threw something at the 17 year old, continued advancing and got shot in the dome by some vehicles. The gunman made a fast telephone call and quickly walked off, eventually pacing down the road towards police where the other at least two videos show the other two people get shot.
Oh wow. So do we know if the second two people he shot know he had killed the first guy?

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Oh wow. So do we know if the second two people he shot know he had killed the first guy?
By that time numerous people were following, pointing and yelling that he had shot someone, but the other two victims couldn't have known that it was ultimately fatal. They certainly may have believed he killed the person he shot but they definitely didn't know it. Crowds of people surrounded the first victim rapidly and wrapped his wound(s) and carried him to a vehicle/the hospital across the street. I'm speculating now but I'd be surprised if the last two victims even personally witnessed the first shooting.

Evan

Reaction score
Here's NPR's version of "FACTS BE DAMNED"

Really dumb. There's rather compelling evidence it was self-defense...

Reactions: KoD

gangstonc

Reaction score
Really dumb. There's rather compelling evidence it was self-defense...
But according to what KoD said, there is also evidence the last 2 shot were trying to subdue an active shooter, and could be hailed as heroes.

We better let this play out in the courts.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to be the jury in this one. Both sides honestly have credence and both can be true.
The shooting was self defense
The victims were trying to subdue a suspected perpetrator
The gunman shoots the people trying to subdue him again in self defense

Both sides can claim being in the right.

I'd be surprised if the homicide charges aren't nullified and the only ones that stick are related to the gunman being there in the first place at his age and crossing state lines with the firearm, vigilantism, etc.. intentional homicide seems like an aggressive charge to me.

Also related, the rioters caught a dumpster on fire and were attempting to roll it when the gunman walked up with a fire extinguisher and put out the blaze. This seemed to agitate the crowd and the first victim who appeared aggressive in language and posture, attempting to get in the face of the gunman prior to the chase and subsequent shooting.

gangstonc

Reaction score
I wouldn't want to be the jury in this one. Both sides honestly have credence and both can be true.
The shooting was self defense
The victims were trying to subdue a suspected perpetrator
The gunman shoots the people trying to subdue him again in self defense

Both sides can claim being in the right.

I'd be surprised if the homicide charges aren't nullified and the only ones that stick are related to the gunman being there in the first place at his age and crossing state lines with the firearm, vigilantism, etc.. intentional homicide seems like an aggressive charge to me.

Also related, the rioters caught a dumpster on fire and were attempting to roll it when the gunman walked up with a fire extinguisher and put out the blaze. This seemed to agitate the crowd and the first victim who appeared aggressive in language and posture, attempting to get in the face of the gunman prior to the chase and subsequent shooting.
They charged him with one count of murder right? I assume that is for the first person shot. This is a mess. It’s exactly why I don’t go to demonstrations of any kind. They attract too many fringe characters.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I have not doubt in my mind that Trump said the disgusting remarks about our fallen soldiers that are attributed to him.

Kory

Reaction score
John Bel Edwards should resign in disgrace for his handling of Hurricane Laura. To come out and puppet the national media’s oft stated but incorrect assessment of Louisiana disasters, “dodged a bullet” should be enough to get him out of office. Still, over 100,000 people have NO running water or electricity. More are homeless....some sleeping in parking lots of businesses because there are no shelters open due to COVID and hotel rooms booked up full of other evacuees. By that same token, the rebuilding of infrastructure is slower than normal because there is no room in nearby hotels. Did they not think of alternative sheltering options in the months prior to hurricane season? Makes you wonder what emergency managers are actually doing but collect a check from the state...

It makes my blood boil that 15 FREAKIN years after what I would consider the largest humanitarian crisis in this country’s history accompanied by national media misreporting, no lessons have been learned. My heart goes out to the folks of Southwest Louisiana. This is their Katrina and it seems not even the governor is overly concerned.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I have not doubt in my mind that Trump said the disgusting remarks about our fallen soldiers that are attributed to him.

Though nothing would surprise me with Trump, I don't believe it. Give me a recording, then yeah.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Though nothing would surprise me with Trump, I don't believe it. Give me a recording, then yeah.
Why don’t you believe it? He’s a five time draft dodger and he’s made similar statements before. Even Fox News has verified the story with more than one source.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Why don’t you believe it? He’s a five time draft dodger and he’s made similar statements before. Even Fox News has verified the story with more than one source.

Because that seems out there even for him. Melania was pretty adamant in his defense and we rarely hear from her. Fox News likely verified the source like anyone else, but that still does not prove anything.

Again, I would not be completely shocked if he did, but I am not sold that it happened. I don't like Trump, have not and will not vote for him, but the left wants to make him out to be the big, bad boogeyman on every single thing ever. Its not necessary. Instead, just keep reporting his Twitter feed if you want him gone so bad.

Jacob

Reaction score
Because that seems out there even for him. Melania was pretty adamant in his defense and we rarely hear from her. Fox News likely verified the source like anyone else, but that still does not prove anything.

Again, I would not be completely shocked if he did, but I am not sold that it happened. I don't like Trump, have not and will not vote for him, but the left wants to make him out to be the big, bad boogeyman on every single thing ever. Its not necessary. Instead, just keep reporting his Twitter feed if you want him gone so bad.

This is basically how I feel about the story. It’s “too perfect” of a story for the left.

Evan

Reaction score
This is basically how I feel about the story. It’s “too perfect” of a story for the left.

The way I feel about it is I think he likely said MOST of what was reported, but it's very possible some of the explicit statements attributed to him occurred at different times than the events described.

Also quite possible, even likely, that some of the specific statements attributed to Trump has some details or wording wrong especially if those serving as sources received their information secondhand or even thirdhand.

That said, I absolutely believe that probably at least 80-85% is true, and is almost exactly what he said, while the remainder may be subject to what I mentioned above. Nonetheless, I don't think the "sources" used are fabricating anything or exaggerating.

If untrue, you'd expect Kelly, Mattis, etc to come out and say so. They still have honor and integrity. Even Bolton said he simply didn't hear the comments on one particular day in question, but that he could definitely believe Trump said something like that. Bolton has no reason to both defend Trump AND say it does sound like the type of thing he would say.

I think the White House denials are very much based off of the exact wording used or the time/place certain stuff was said. We know from several books that have already been published that Trump has repeatedly mocked, denigrated, and insulted military officers. He even did so in his recent press conference. He did it to Vindman. He did it to John McCain.

Does it matter if the story is only 95% accurate? Yes, it does. We should always want the complete and unvarnished truth.

But MAGA-world wants to pretend if a few quotes are not exact, or if a few times/places are off, that it means the entire article is false and should be discounted.

Does anyone here doubt that Trump has the ability to say such grotesque things? Does anyone doubt he's said similar things before?

If would be great if we could get confirmed reporting on EXACTLY what took place and what was said in each situation, but that's never going to happen. Two eyewitnesses often see/hear different things. Trump is the type who always denies denies denies and his press secretary and others have zero problem lying for him.

What remains important is that members of the military who have worked with Trump aren't coming out and defending him. Neither are people freed from the chains of the White House with a history of truth-telling whether it is pro or anti Trump (e.g. Bolton).

It's like everything else with Trump. Does it just happen to be that everyone he hires is an incompetent, lying, scoundrel? And when they leave they ALL decide to make up lies about Trump? Or is it more that if you tell the truth about Trump he and his allies immediately tried to assassinate your character? It's the old saying of if you run into one a-hole on Monday morning, it's just something you have to deal with, but if everyone you run into all week is an a-hole, then maybe YOU'RE the a-hole. That's where I'm at as it pertains to Trump's lying and the stories told by his former employees/staff. Is it possible some of them lie/exaggerate? Sure. But there's simply too many all saying virtually the same thing. What's more likely? They're the a-hole or he is?

Last edited:

Evan

Reaction score
This is perfect:

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like this new Woodward book has some interesting information and accusations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back