• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

2020 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

skelly

Reaction score
Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Barack Obama, now Donald Trump. They all claimed to be Christian... this didn’t make them any friends or soften any criticism from those that didn’t agree with their politics and policies.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
I don’t see how we can prove that he believes. All I have seen is that he nakedly uses religion for personal and political gain.

It is not up to us to prove or disprove whether he believes or not. We can look at his current actions to see if he walking the walk and not just talking the talk. It is important to remember that no person on earth is without sin.

Ecclesiastes 7:20 Not a single person on earth is always good and never sins.

As far as his belief in Jesus Christ, that is between him and God.

skelly

Reaction score
This makes a lot of sense to me good on Mr. Woodfin...

• Woodfin said that the curfew is going to be extended for “as long as we see the need for it,” adding that if people are going to protest, they “have to have the self-discipline to engage in behavior that’s only bringing attention to the injustice.”

gangstonc

Reaction score
It is not up to us to prove or disprove whether he believes or not. We can look at his current actions to see if he walking the walk and not just talking the talk. It is important to remember that no person on earth is without sin.

Ecclesiastes 7:20 Not a single person on earth is always good and never sins.

As far as his belief in Jesus Christ, that is between him and God.
I feel as though it’s important to evaluate as a voter whether or not he is true to what he says. I’ve seen little evidence in his favor.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
I feel as though it’s important to evaluate as a voter whether or not he is true to what he says. I’ve seen little evidence in his favor.

You didn't read my entire statement. You read the first sentence and responded.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
You didn't read my entire statement. You read the first sentence and responded.
I believe his reply was actually an answer to your second sentence, not the first. Your second sentence:
We can look at his current actions to see if he walking the walk and not just talking the talk.
His reply:

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Further, I was using my status as a voter to say why it is not just between a politician and God, which was his last sentence.

Well, my answer to your question was already in the second sentence.

We can look at his current actions to see if he walking the walk and not just talking the talk.

Which is why I said he didn't read my entire post.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I don't recall there being decent sized protests in Huntsville, AL during the other police involved deaths over the recent years. Maybe I just didn't pay enough attention to the local news though.
Pretty big crowd, I'm rather surprised.

I wonder if they'll end up dispersing the crowd with CS gas again. They're reportedly back at the courthouse.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Well, my answer to your question was already in the second sentence.

Which is why I said he didn't read my entire post.

I didn’t ask a question.

Anyway, from General Mattis:

"We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership. We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society."

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
I didn’t ask a question.

Anyway, from General Mattis:

"We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership. We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society."
Should have said statement not question.

Jacob

Reaction score
Is there a dumber political/rallying cry than "Abolish the police!"?

I think there's plenty of concerns/discussions/reforms that could be done about how things are policed in this country, but does anybody with a functioning brain actually think we can function as a (somewhat) peaceful society without some form of law inforcement?

gangstonc

Reaction score

Jacob

Reaction score

Here is the problem. The police have to stop standing up for those that do wrong.

I have SOME sympathy for those involved in that incident, since the old man was the instigator and a light shove had no intention of seriously injuring him. I can understand why other officers on that team wouldn't want to go out there and put up with the crap slung their way. That doesn't make what happened right, but I don't think it is as egregious of a case as I've seen many people make it out to be.

I think the bigger issue with police standing up for other police is the police union and the power it has to keep officers from being fired, or get them reassigned to another location, etc. The officer in Minnesota clearly had no business being a cop, given his long history of issues. It's an issue across most public sector unions. You see it in other public sector jobs with strong unions too, such as with teachers. It's almost impossible in many locations to fire a bad teacher due to the strength of the teacher's union.

Jacob

Reaction score
Another unfortunate part of these incidents that are currently taking part across the country is how many people view everything that happens through an emotional lens instead of a logical one. Take for instance something I saw on twitter yesterday about the LAPD shooting a homeless man in a wheelchair in the face with a rubber bullet. The story is basically that he's all by himself and police shot him just for the hell of it. One thing I've learned (and this goes for stories on both sides) is that if something fits the narrative too well, it probably isn't true. I'd like to see bodycam footage (or any other footage if it exists) of this event and what actually happened. I have a feeling he was probably shot by mistake (or in a crowd that was shot at), and the still images we see are after the rest of the crowd dispersed.

If it is shown that the "twitter story" of him just getting shot in the face for the hell of it is true, then the officers involved should be fired and brought up on criminal charges.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
In the incident where the 75 yr old man was pushed down and suffered a serious head injury. The video shows that an officer that pushed him down either taunted him while on the ground or had intent to hit him with his stick while he was down but another officer stopped him. With that type of follow up reaction, I'm not so sure there wasn't intent

Jacob

Reaction score
In the incident where the 75 yr old man was pushed down and suffered a serious head injury. The video shows that an officer that pushed him down either taunted him while on the ground or had intent to hit him with his stick while he was down but another officer stopped him. With that type of follow up reaction, I'm not so sure there wasn't intent

That is certainly possible too. This is where the officers past should play a role. If he has prior complaints against him, he’s probably a bad seed. If he’s been on the force 10 years with a spotless record, he probably made a bad judgement.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
W, Jeb and Mitt not going to support Trump? (which is really not a surprise). Trump Tweets should be on FIRE today!

Former President George W. Bush won’t support the reelection of Trump, and Jeb Bush isn’t sure how he’ll vote, say people familiar with their thinking. Senator Mitt Romney of Utah won’t back Trump and is deliberating whether to again write in his wife, Ann, or cast another ballot this November. And Cindy McCain, the widow of Senator John McCain, is almost certain to support Biden but is unsure how public to be about it because one of her sons is eyeing a run for office.

None of them voted for Trump in 2016, but the reproach of big Republican names carries a different weight when an incumbent president and his shared agenda with Senate leaders are on the line.

Former Republican leaders like the former speakers Paul Ryan and John Boehner won’t say how they will vote, and some Republicans who are already disinclined to support Trump are weighing whether to go beyond backing a third-party contender to openly endorse Biden. Retired military leaders, who have guarded their private political views, are increasingly voicing their unease about the president’s leadership but are unsure whether to embrace his opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back