• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

2020 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan

Reaction score
I have SOME sympathy for those involved in that incident, since the old man was the instigator and a light shove had no intention of seriously injuring him. I can understand why other officers on that team wouldn't want to go out there and put up with the crap slung their way. That doesn't make what happened right, but I don't think it is as egregious of a case as I've seen many people make it out to be.

I think the bigger issue with police standing up for other police is the police union and the power it has to keep officers from being fired, or get them reassigned to another location, etc. The officer in Minnesota clearly had no business being a cop, given his long history of issues. It's an issue across most public sector unions. You see it in other public sector jobs with strong unions too, such as with teachers. It's almost impossible in many locations to fire a bad teacher due to the strength of the teacher's union.

I don't think he instigated anything. My understanding is that the gentleman who was shoved by the officer is someone who the officers know quite well as he's a frequent peaceful protester.

Shoving him was absolutely uncalled for. He wasn't a threat. He wasn't armed.

Notice what happened RIGHT AFTER the shove and subsequent injury was documented on camera. A different officer runs up to the journalist (NPR) standing on the stairs and starts loudly demanding that they move back. We've seen multiple times in the current protests where the police intentionally target journalists with violence for merely being present and doing their job.

I'm sorry. When did we decide that the police have a right to control and question people doing their jobs, but no one can question them when they do theirs? Police action isn't listed in the Bill of Rights. A free press and free speech both are.

I said it in a previous post. I'm 0% supportive of violence and rioting. The police have an incredibly tough job. Part of that is because they keep arresting and assaulting members of the media, and shoving old men who are simply trying to talk to them.

Things like this don't help. In 35 states, a police officer can "consensually" have sex with someone they have in custody.

I'm not anti-police. A close family member is a police officer. He has even less tolerance for bad, lazy, or corrupt cops than I do.

On another note, I find it ironic that some Conservatives were calling the police gangsters and oath-violates for enforcing laws/orders related to COVID, but the minute things become about a social issue on the other side they turn back into Thin Blue Line supporters. It's the same hypocrisy seen by hyperventilating liberals who insisted that ANY public gathering like a funeral or wedding was absolutely OFF-LIMITS due to COVID, but protests are just fine (just not protests against stay-at-home orders).

I'm just sick of the hypocrisy and polarization. We have bad cops out there. But, we can't even agree as a society on what to do because some idiots want to "defund the police" which is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard -- while others start screeching about law and order (unless it pertains to an order or law passed by a Democrat).

Our nation deserves what it is about to go through. 2020 is going to be a historic year for all the wrong reasons. We deserve it as a people because we've rejected every single potential unifying event and have instead continued to try to exploit the divisions in our politics and in our society. These protests and societal unrest were triggered by a lot more than just George Floyd. They were triggered by wealth inequality, the repercussions of the COVID pandemic, stagnant wages, divisive politics, etc -- not to mention that we have a blithering fool as President.

Is there a single person here who is willing to say they think Trump is the right person to unify our country? Or that he's the right person for this moment in our history? Can anyone even say that Trump hasn't exacerbated yet another crisis with his poor leadership and completely tone-deaf response? I'll give you every single President of the past 100 years. Would ANYONE pick Trump to be our leader during the current crisis versus one of them? What about picking Trump over any of our last five Presidents? Would anyone take Trump?

Jacob

Reaction score
I don't think he instigated anything. My understanding is that the gentleman who was shoved by the officer is someone who the officers know quite well as he's a frequent peaceful protester.

Shoving him was absolutely uncalled for. He wasn't a threat. He wasn't armed.

Notice what happened RIGHT AFTER the shove and subsequent injury was documented on camera. A different officer runs up to the journalist (NPR) standing on the stairs and starts loudly demanding that they move back. We've seen multiple times in the current protests where the police intentionally target journalists with violence for merely being present and doing their job.

I'm sorry. When did we decide that the police have a right to control and question people doing their jobs, but no one can question them when they do theirs? Police action isn't listed in the Bill of Rights. A free press and free speech both are.

I said it in a previous post. I'm 0% supportive of violence and rioting. The police have an incredibly tough job. Part of that is because they keep arresting and assaulting members of the media, and shoving old men who are simply trying to talk to them.

Fair points, though I disagree that he didn't instigate the event. If my interpretation was wrong, and he was peaceful and just didn't want to move, then sure the cop was just being a jerk and should be fired. Perhaps I'm a bit jaded by all the violence/rioting and seeing the complaints against officers that have the impossible task of trying to keep that under control.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Fair points, though I disagree that he didn't instigate the event. If my interpretation was wrong, and he was peaceful and just didn't want to move, then sure the cop was just being a jerk and should be fired. Perhaps I'm a bit jaded by all the violence/rioting and seeing the complaints against officers that have the impossible task of trying to keep that under control.
He obviously wasn’t violent. All the police had to do was arrest him if he was really being a problem.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS

Our President has hit a new low. This is the stupidest tweet he has ever made.

Are you basing your comment on your opinion or on facts? If on facts where are they?

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
I agree with Jay. Given how idiotic some of Trump's other tweets are, it is highly unlikely that this is the stupidest. Well said, Jay.

Touche

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
You really think he was scanning and interrupting police communications? Come on.
I didn't say anything about the guy involved with the police. I asked about your comment on the President's statement. But I think Marooned already zinged me. :) Have a blessed day.

gangstonc

Reaction score
I didn't say anything about the guy involved with the police. I asked about your comment on the President's statement. But I think Marooned already zinged me. :) Have a blessed day.
Ah. Well, to be clear, it was my opinion that his tweet was his dumbest ever.

Evan

Reaction score
Cops and Live P.D. have now been cancelled.

Ridiculous.

Is anyone else just absolutely freaking sick of BOTH Trump and the absurd SJW left? In the past 48 hours, both have nauseated me.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Ridiculous.

Is anyone else just absolutely freaking sick of BOTH Trump and the absurd SJW left? In the past 48 hours, both have nauseated me.

What did Trump have to do with cops and Live P.D.?

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The Seattle thing is intriguing. Apparently, protesters have closed off an area of the city and seized control. They are asking for ID for anyone coming into the area to prove the "belong" there and have armed guards stationed along the perimeter. The police have abandoned the area and have lost a police precinct. It's crazy to think something like that is going on in an American city.

Evan

Reaction score
What did Trump have to do with cops and Live P.D.?

Do you think the protests and riots were solely because of George Floyd and the police? I'd say Trump's cratering approval rating is evidence enough that his handling of the Floyd situation and subsequent protests/social unrest exacerbated an already volatile situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back