• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

2020 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gangstonc

Reaction score
You think she would’ve had a plan in place for that. Americans continue to struggle and hospitals need the money desperately for this. But hey, let’s wait another day!
She started working with the lawyers in the rules before a deal was made.
I think the bigger issue is three days of negotiation for not much difference.

Kory

Reaction score
Agreed on that last part. Our government is embarrassing. They force shut downs, so people can’t work but have no plan when they’re laid off. Unemployment pays a fraction of what people make. Again, you would think that they would have seen this coming...and maybe planned ahead.

Evan

Reaction score
Can we use the $50 billion earmarked for the airlines towards individuals and just let them all fail? They almost all treat customers terribly and I don't want my taxmoney going to support their poorly run businesses. Let the strong survive. The market will determine which ones stay afloat.
The part of the bill that helps Boeing is absolutely disgusting

I urge everyone to read the full article. Boeing's arrogance is incredible in light of their accomplishments of the past few years. How many innocent people did they kill due to greed again? In addition to their arrogance, the fact that Congress is willing to accept that arrogance and give them help they claim they can get elsewhere is infuriating.

Everyone remember Enron, the nasty arrogant banks/financial firms from 2008, etc? Sounds like Boeing has decided to become a card-carrying member of that hated class. I used to have a significant amount of respect for Boeing. Not anymore. They are God awful. I'd wish them to fail if it wouldn't cost normal people their jobs. Their entire leadership team and board should be forced into indentured servitude in a Botswanan gold mine for the next 20 years. Check in after the 20 years is up and see if they've humbled themselves any.

Boeing saying "give us what we want exactly how we want it or we'll get it somewhere else" is something both Congress and Trump should've thrown back into their face. Unfreakingbelievable. Instead they gave them close to 20 billion.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Furthermore, the bill hasn’t been introduced to the House by the Senate. There was nothing to be done in the House today regarding this.

Kory

Reaction score
Furthermore, the bill hasn’t been introduced to the House by the Senate. There was nothing to be done in the House today regarding this.
Yeah this is turning into a clusterfrick in the Senate. Graham, Scott, and Sasse have objections to the unemployment benefits paying more than some jobs. Bernie Sanders now objecting to the $500 corporate stimulus package.

This is why we don’t need comprehensive 1400 page bills. Meanwhile, rent is due on the 1st and many Americans might not have the means to pay it.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A recurring theme for me is how does the so called greatest country in the world let its rear end get kick by South Korea with regards to the COVID-19 response plan. This article spells that out.

The missing six weeks: how Trump failed the biggest test of his life

"When the definitive history of the coronavirus pandemic is written, the date 20 January 2020 is certain to feature prominently. It was on that day that a 35-year-old man in Washington state, recently returned from visiting family in Wuhan in China, became the first person in the US to be diagnosed with the virus.

On the very same day, 5,000 miles away in Asia, the first confirmed case of Covid-19 was reported in South Korea. The confluence was striking, but there the similarities ended.

In the two months since that fateful day, the responses to coronavirus displayed by the US and South Korea have been polar opposites.

One country acted swiftly and aggressively to detect and isolate the virus, and by doing so has largely contained the crisis. The other country dithered and procrastinated, became mired in chaos and confusion, was distracted by the individual whims of its leader, and is now confronted by a health emergency of daunting proportions."

Kory

Reaction score
I can think of 3 life-altering events that I have personally been through (varying degrees of how directly it affected me)...all three the government has failed. Miserably.

Maybe it's time to think about how we govern and the structure of how decisions are made. That seems to be at the root of it. We are far too reactionary...not proactive. And when something needs to get done...it's a snail's pace. Perhaps, it’s too big and inefficient?

I can only think of the famous "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job!"

Last edited:

Kory

Reaction score
Reports that one of them murdered an paramedic of the NYC Fire Department. Luckily the DA declined that release fast.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Though the real star of this video is the sign language interpreter, it is stunning just how incompetent the Governor of Georgia and his leadership team appears to be. Listen to what he says!

gangstonc

Reaction score
I made this point in the covid thread, but it was the wrong thread. I contend that trump would see a large approval bump, like Cuomo, if he had not botched the response.

Kory

Reaction score
Though the real star of this video is the sign language interpreter, it is stunning just how incompetent the Governor of Georgia and his leadership team appears to be. Listen to what he says!

Georgia republicans looking good! Him and that lady who sold off her stocks.

gangstonc

Reaction score
I made this point in the covid thread, but it was the wrong thread. I contend that trump would see a large approval bump, like Cuomo, if he had not botched the response.
REMINDER: Bush's approval of 9/11 at this stage was over 85%.

Obama's handling of Hurricane Sandy was 78%.

Trump just clocked in at 47% approval on Coronavirus.

Kory

Reaction score
And Obama golfed as Louisiana drowned in 2016...so let’s not act like he’s some great president in a time of need. No response from him or his admin until a week later after the biggest disaster to hit the country since Sandy. He was a disgrace and people from Louisiana will let you know.

gangstonc

Reaction score
And Obama golfed as Louisiana drowned in 2016...so let’s not act like he’s some great president in a time of need. No response from him or his admin until a week later after the biggest disaster to hit the country since Sandy. He was a disgrace and people from Louisiana will let you know.
My point exactly. Obama didn’t do a good job, and look at his approval rating. I never acted like he was great in a time of. We’d. Presidents usually get very good numbers during disasters. That’s not the case here
With Trump.

gangstonc

Reaction score

I can’t believe Obama left Trump with “not good tests” for a virus that wouldn’t exist for three years after he got out of office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back