• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan

Reaction score
My understanding is that the House rules the GOP is complaining about, are rules they themselves put into place, and have previously used to conduct investigations closed to the public.

Seems odd to me that the GOP was fine with it until it was used against Trump.

I agree that the Democrats should hold a formal vote. At the same time, they should vote on new House rules related to conduct. Rules that impose extremely harsh and umappealable consequences for any member who engages in a stunt like the one from today.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Wow... here is a pretty good story of what went down along with some tweets and comments from Fox News - https://www.foxnews.com/politics/go...be-before-attempting-to-storm-the-proceedings

Interesting to note that some representatives brought their cell phones into the secure meeting room which violates a ton of really good rules and laws on classified spaces. In no way do I condone what they did today but the democrats need to formalize this inquiry and get on with it.

I agree this needs to be formalized and not done in the matter Democrats are doing it. They are hiding and need to bring it out.

I disagree with any member no matter who they are bringing any type of electronic device into those areas. I hope they do give them some type of censure or punishment for bringing cell phones into the area.

gangstonc

Reaction score
I agree this needs to be formalized and not done in the matter Democrats are doing it. They are hiding and need to bring it out.

I disagree with any member no matter who they are bringing any type of electronic device into those areas. I hope they do give them some type of censure or punishment for bringing cell phones into the area.
Just as big as the cell phone thing is the disruption of a Pentagon official's testimony about potential executive branch misbehavior. Very obstructive, even if you don't agree with the process, which is legal.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Just as big as the cell phone thing is the disruption of a Pentagon official's testimony about potential executive branch misbehavior. Very obstructive, even if you don't agree with the process, which is legal.
Legal or not, it doesn't look good with the way the democrats are handling it. They are handling it in my mind like they are hiding something or making stuff up. I may be completely wrong but appearances.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Legal or not, it doesn't look good with the way the democrats are handling it. They are handling it in my mind like they are hiding something or making stuff up. I may be completely wrong but appearances.
I understand that for sure. But they are in a tough spot given the lying and story changing that caused Mueller so many issues. About 1/3 of the republican house is on one of the three committees permitted to be there.

I really don't understand why Republican congressmembers are so hell bent on giving up their power of the purse.

Last edited:

Evan

Reaction score

No, you're right. Appearances matter, and Americans have never liked things done in secret. It's one of the few effective arguments I believe the GOP has to defend Trump with right now. That said, I also believe this won't go on much longer. The Democrats are doing this to lock in testimony and prevent potential coordination of witnesses as much as possible.

It is ironic, though. Democrats were ticked off at Republicans during Benghazi and also by Nunes' Intel Committee inquiry on Russia for doing the same thing they're doing now. Just kind of shows how both parties are hypocritical on this stuff. Don't trust either one of them.

Evan

Reaction score

I hate political stunts like this. We're in total agreement. It's funny how some of the same people barging into the SCIF with phones went nuts over Hillary's mishandling of classified info procedures.

Most of the people who participated are the usual suspects. I was disappointed, however, to see that Steve Scalise participated. I had a lot more faith in him than was apparently warranted. Yet another politician disappoints.

I'm just tired of the entire political show in Washington.

None of the folks who participated will be punished in any substantial way. Same way leakers from the depositions won't be punished if caught or identified. That's what makes the whole thing irritate me so much. Both Dems and GOP have leaked stuff from the depositions and hearings. Same thing happened during Benghazi hearings and during tons of other hearings back when the GOP had control.

They're all hypocritical liars. That's always been one of Trump's strongest defenses. "Yeah, I'm a liar and a cheat but so are they." The reason I take such issue with Trump is because we've always known there is corruption in DC, but when it gets identified the people are normally punished. Trump being able to get away with it destroys even that. We can't let perfect be the enemy of good enough. The GOP needs to grow a spine and be willing to convict Trump if the evidence is there. The Democrats need to do the same and open this up to the public very soon. I feel like we should tolerate another week or two so they can get testimony, and then it's time to bring on the main event.

I would think a lot of the people currently testifying will eventually do the same before the Senate if not once the House officially votes to open up a full inquiry.

Evan

Reaction score
He's an Obama guy, but when you're right you're right.

Evan

Reaction score
That is the last thing I would've expected from Scalise. Met him several times (he's an alumni from the same school).

Yep. It's quite disappointing. He of all people should know that inflaming political tensions with misleading information or disingenuous statements is not good for the health of our political system.

Really didn't expect him to adopt the ridiculous and unserious type of politics that bozos like Matt Gaetz are famous for.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Yep. It's quite disappointing. He of all people should know that inflaming political tensions with misleading information or disingenuous statements is not good for the health of our political system.

Really didn't expect him to adopt the ridiculous and unserious type of politics that bozos like Matt Gaetz are famous for.
I like how several of the “sit in” republicans already had access to the depositions.

We learned today, at the arraignment of the Ukrainian grifters, the 12 phones were being monitored by the SDNY. We also learned that Rudy is shopping for a defense lawyer.
I think these two facts are related.

Also, one of these guys claimed executive privilege, tying himself to trump.

Last edited:

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
TRUMP: "We're building a wall in Colorado. We're building a beautiful wall. A big one that really works."

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Thank you very much for the link I didn’t ask for.

I’m not concerned with Trump’s gaffes. Only his repeated abuse of power and trampling of the constitution.

Then shouldn't you be worried about Both sides of the isle trampling on the Constitution?

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Meanwhile... Rudy has been making some calls....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back