• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
What ABC news did was 100% intentional. No excuses there. And why did they do it? To spread a false narrative?
It is the we have to be first 24 hour news cycle issue. They didn't verify the video before running with it. If they hadn't someone else would have.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The HIll and other outlets reporting that the next G-7 summit to be held Trump National Doral just outside of Miami in June 2020. Really?

The United States will host the 2020 Group of Seven (G-7) summit at Trump National Doral, a resort property near Miami owned by President Trump's family.

The summit will take place June 10-12, acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney told reporters Thursday at the White House.
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/466292-trumps-doral-resort-to-host-g-7-summit-next-year

gangstonc

Reaction score

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Trump sets it up, of course. It makes him money and is great worldwide advertisement.
Let’s see if Putin gets an invite to the US soon.
Do you have proof or are you just speculating. Either way it doesn't matter. As I said, I believe this violates the Emoluments Clause.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Speculation, but who else would set it up?
Well the G-7 but it could have been influenced by Trump's Family. Either way Violation of Emoluments Clause.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
It seems that Mulvaney has admitted the quid pro quo and told us to get over it.
Well this could have been one of this instances you could have provided a link. LOL

Guess I will just Google it.

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Well this could have been one of this instances you could have provided a link. LOL

Guess I will just Google it.
Here is a pretty good version of it going down... edited.. but gets the point across..

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Now we have to find out if he personally gained from this or it was for the Benefit of the American People. I say let the inquiry happen, lets get the details and well if he personally gained from it, it spells trouble for the Trumpster.

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Now we have to find out if he personally gained from this or it was for the Benefit of the American People. I say let the inquiry happen, lets get the details and well if he personally gained from it, it spells trouble for the Trumpster.
He is going to argue he gave up the company to his sons... but still... really..

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Trump says a lot that I agree with, well, that most would agree with. Heavy tax burdens on companies moving overseas. I just never trusted him to avoid the temptation of greed and power and I think bettering himself has always been more important than bettering other people and society in general.
Relevant

Evan

Reaction score
Well the G-7 but it could have been influenced by Trump's Family. Either way Violation of Emoluments Clause.

G-7 (G-8 before Russia was suspended) rotates the "Presidency" of the organization each year, and the Presidency is responsible for planning and hosting the meeting. Under the G-8, that meant the United States hosted every 8 years. Under the G-7 it would be every 7 years as long as Russia remains suspended. Anyway, it is the United States' turn to hold the Presidency in 2020, so we plan and host the meeting.

Whomever is considered the "head" of government of a member country is the leader who is supposed to attend to represent their country. UK will send their Prime Minister as will Canada. France and the USA send their President. Depends solely on the form of government of the member nation.

The United States as host is the one who decides where the meeting will be held and plans all the details surrounding it. In the past, that meant the President of the United States made the decision on where to locate and host the meeting.

Wikipedia has a list of all previous G-7/G-8 meetings. They're usually held at a government-owned retreat or residence, or a private resort facility with limited access due to security requirements. Not always, but that's generally been the case.

Trump Doral is definitely an eclectic location for the G-7 for a variety of reasons. Obviously the primary thing that is strange about it is that the President of the United States and/or his family own and operate the property. Definitely something unique in the history of these meetings as previous summits were held at places owned by a government or a private owner who didn't have anything to do with the hosting leader. Definitely never held on the personal propety of a world leader or their family.

I'm sure Trump will say he's "losing tons of money" by hosting the event but that there simply wasn't "anywhere else comparable" to host it at. I'd imagine a number of his supporters and allies will believe that or at least act like they do. I don't know that Trump chose Doral to enrich himself or his family. It could just be his typical ego wanting to show off his wealth, and the fact that he's comfortable there.

The problem is, the American public will not have a way to know. It's a private company and neither the company nor Trump has released any tax return information. However, The Washington Post has reviewed public business records and filings that show serious issues at Doral.

According to the article I linked, Doral has seen steep declines in revenue and profitability, and they've had to sharply cut expenses. Additionally, similar resorts in the area and throughout Florida have not experienced those same issues. Doral is trailing its competitors in revenue growth and profitability in a very substantial way.

You'd think a public servant and elected official wouldn't even want the slightest whiff of impropriety to hang over such an important meeting or their reputation. There are various ways Trump could've dealt with the ethical implications long ago. He could've disposed of properties and assets, put them in a blind-trust, or made a commitment not to hold any events or meetings at facilities he owned.

Even if he declined to do all of the above, if he was dead-set on hosting the meeting at Doral, he could've avoided accusations of self-dealing by hiring an independent auditing and consulting firm to collect every dollar of revenue related to the event and donate it to charity. He could've publicly signed a contract giving the firm fully access and transparency to any required records. Obviously he hasn't done that, and it is extremely unlikely that he will. More to the point, he simply could've chosen to host the meeting at one of the thousands of similar resorts in the country that he or his family do not own.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like Rick Perry is going to resign. I haven't heard much from him. I wonder what relation it has with the Ukraine business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back