• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadia

Reaction score
The egregious thing about the Covington Catholic story was the doubling and tripling down by numerous media outlets once contradictory video came to light. Without a shadow of a doubt, there were members of the media that deliberately ignored the exculpatory video and evidence that came to light after their initial rush to judgment.

But, I also saw a significant number of journalists that simply could NOT see through their own cognitive bias, and were unable to assess the new evidence with neutrality.

I'm not sure what's worse - - deliberate lying, or being so biased that you can't see clearly contradictory evidence in high-resolution video.

Zero question that bias against Christians and Conservatives reared its ugly head in a systemic way throughout the MSM.

As I alluded to in my response to Kory, part of this issue is caused by the popularity of social media and changes in how people consume news. Clickbait stories, hot takes, and controversial topics drive more traffic than any longform piece on a serious topic would ever bring.

Americans have become increasingly myopic, stupid, and focused on outrage that confirms their view of the world.

I've posted this before, in regards to how awful our modern day politicians are, but politicians (like the media) are a reflection of our society as a whole. We could debate how much the media drives society versus society driving the content fed to us by the media, but there's no denying that the media gives audiences what it craves.

Until the American people become serious again about our culture, our lifestyles, and our faith, we will continue to descend into the wickedness of the world. We're giving Sodom and Gomorrah a run for their money.

For what it's worth, I disagree that this wasn't about Trump. The MAGA hats that the teenagers were wearing served as a proxy for the hatred and loathing many people feel towards Trump. If they'd all been wearing Notre Dame hats this controversy likely would've barely made the news (if it even did).

Part of what made the cognitive bias so strong in this case is the symbolism of the MAGA hat. While I believe that is totally unfair and foolish, not to mention counter-productive, we cannot deny that MAGA hats evoke a lot of strong feelings. Trump chose the MAGA hat to represent himself and his campaign long ago, so a lot of people see a MAGA hat as saying "I agree with everything Trump does and says." Again, not saying that's fair or sensible, particularly when it pertains to teenagers, but that's the reality of how a significant chunk of society views someone that wears a MAGA hat.

Finally, I previously referenced the breakdown of American culture, our immoral lifestyles, our irreligiousness, and our preference for unserious news and entertainment. I know you shared my concerns about Trump, so is it really any surprise at all that the aforementioned factors are peaking after we elected him President? We elected someone who is immoral, irreligiousness, and unserious, and many of our political, religious, and societal leaders mortgaged their souls to make it happen.

America is a rudderless ship sailing into the abyss. It's the biggest reality show ever produced with Trump as the Captain, Americans as the passengers, and the rest of the world serving as the live studio audience. At least we'll all be entertained.

When I said this wasn't about Trump - that it was about the March For Life - I said that because those Covington boys, those Black Hebrew Israelites, the Native American activist, and all those people standing around with their cell phones wouldn't have been there that day had the March For Life rally not taken place that weekend. The rally drew those people there and the media was desperate not to have to cover the rally, the crowd size, or God forbid, interview people who can articulate their point of view and show compassion for not only the unborn child, but the mother as well. Now, I'm not saying the Black Hebrew Israelites and Nathan Phillips wouldn't still be there screaming out slurs and pounding their drum. They were there to target people and they latched on to those boys for a variety of reasons. They were white. They were Christian. They were smiling and proud to be in the capital standing up for the unborn. And some had bought and wore the MAGA hats when they got there. Simply put, they stood out as worthy to be verbally attacked. And the media agreed. Did anyone see Savannah Guthrie's interview with Nicholas Sandmann, (the "smirking kid") on the TODAY Show? Her questions were insulting, ridiculous, and shows complete cognitive bias in the way she phrases her questions alone. "There's something aggressive about just standing there. You both just stood your ground. Looking back, what do you think about that moment?" Earlier she'd asked him, "Why didn't you just walk away?" Because apparently standing on feet and smiling with a face is now considered aggressive behavior and this kid committed the despicable act. Meanwhile, walking up to someone and banging a drum in their face is not an aggressive act. Do we have the details sorted out, kids? Good, 'cause it's confusing. Then, she asked him about his hat. Ah, the MAGA hat. "Do you think if you had not been wearing that hat this might not have happened or this might have been different?" Now, this is where the media and liberals show their true colors. Suppose this had been a woman who'd gotten attacked, death threats sent to her work, etc, and Savannah had asked her, "Do you think if you hadn't been wearing that skirt this might not have happened or might have been different?" When did it suddenly become okay to blame the victim?!? So, now it's okay that if an article of clothing offends someone and someone is attacked it's their own damn fault? Are you all keeping up? I realize the goal posts keep moving, but it's important you pay attention. These kids, their families, this school, and this community have been upended because of lies told by Nathan Phillips and the media. Bomb threats, death threats, and a host of hateful, hateful comments all over the internet. And Savannah Guthrie sits there and asks this kid if his hat was the problem and if he thinks he needs to apologize to anyone for his own actions. His own actions of standing, breathing, and smiling. And wearing a hat.

Why isn't Nathan Phillips getting the Savannah treatment? Why isn't he sitting down underneath those studio lights getting asked if his drum wasn't the problem? Or.... "Why did you lie about what happened? Why did you go disrupt a mass immediately after this incident, Mr. Phillips? Just down the road? They had to call security because you were beating your drum outside the church trying to get in. Why did you say you were a Vietnam Veteran when you never served in Vietnam?" Why isn't the media eager to put Mr. Phillips in front of their cameras now? Now that he has been proved a liar. That's a rhetorical question, of course. I already know the answer.

I don't think anything makes me more pissed off than when the media and the mob set out to ruin an innocent life/lives. And in this case they did it yes, in part because MAGA hats were involved. That's a detail that can't be overlooked. But also because they wanted and was looking for a story - any story they could cover outside of the March For Life. Who needs to check facts? Who needs to interview the other side before slandering a group of kids and endangering their lives? This country is in the gutter. We are killing children in the womb, celebrating it with applause and lighting up buildings in pink lights, and if they make it out we are now gleefully ruining their lives if we find them to be political prey. I'm still seeing red and it's going to take me some time to stop thinking about this story. I know we've moved on, but I haven't. I'm going to need a minute.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Ok...
Winking told blinkin and blinkin told nod

CNN just knew to be there.
No. Everybody knew the grand jury was meeting on Thursday instead of Friday. That is what has typically happened when indictments have been handed down on Friday. Everybody figured Stone was next to be indicted. Why not sit outside hisnhouse tonsee if you can get lucky and get some awesome video?

skelly

Reaction score
No. Everybody knew the grand jury was meeting on Thursday instead of Friday. That is what has typically happened when indictments have been handed down on Friday. Everybody figured Stone was next to be indicted. Why not sit outside hisnhouse tonsee if you can get lucky and get some awesome video?

And CNN the only media to figure it out.? Ok.

skelly

Reaction score
Guess so. MSNBC goofed. You know Fox wouldn’t cover it.

Does the Mueller team have a history of leaking? Nope.

They were tipped off as to the timing of the arrest. Why would they assume his house would be raided this way when no one else in the probe has been? Apparently I’m not the only one feels this way but yet other jounrnalist. I don’t share your belief that there haven’t been any other leaks either.

gangstonc

Reaction score
They were tipped off as to the timing of the arrest. Why would they assume his house would be raided this way when no one else in the probe has been? Apparently I’m not the only one feels this way but yet other jounrnalist. I don’t share your belief that there haven’t been any other leaks either.
What were the other leaks?

You don’t have to stake out a house to wait for a raid. What if he’s indicted but allowed to turn himself in? Then you can ask him questions as he’s leaving. And you know roger stone will talk to the media.

I haven’t seen a remotely reputable news source that says anything was leaked to CNN.

skelly

Reaction score
What were the other leaks?

You don’t have to stake out a house to wait for a raid. What if he’s indicted but allowed to turn himself in? Then you can ask him questions as he’s leaving. And you know roger stone will talk to the media.

I haven’t seen a remotely reputable news source that says anything was leaked to CNN.

I didn’t expect to get any replies. Though dost protest much! And would you be sending us these juicy buzzfeed links if they didn’t have “anonymous “ sources. There’s been all sorts of tips coming out you know more than me cause you spend more time following this investigation than I do. As long as we’re asking each other questions on this, did Stone post bond and how much was it?
How many people get arrested in Mueller’s probe, by a swat team, then are released no bond? And if you’re going to put on an intimidation show of an arrest are you going to leave it to chance the journalist to figure it out and bring the cameras???

gangstonc

Reaction score
I didn’t expect to get any replies. Though dost protest much! And would you be sending us these juicy buzzfeed links if they didn’t have “anonymous “ sources. There’s been all sorts of tips coming out you know more than me cause you spend more time following this investigation than I do. As long as we’re asking each other questions on this, did Stone post bond and how much was it?
How many people get arrested in Mueller’s probe, by a swat team, then are released no bond? And if you’re going to put on an intimidation show of an arrest are you going to leave it to chance the journalist to figure it out and bring the cameras???
Stone did post bond of $250k.

I don’t think any have been arrested by swat team and released on no bond.

It was only 6 FBI agents. They knocked on the door. It wasn’t exactly a raid. Roger Stone has intentionally made himself known for dirty tricks. They didn’t want him to destroy anything he had so they didn’t want to give him a heads up. Pretty simple.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Fox News has been playing this off as an aggressive heavily armed SWAT raid, which naturally detracts it's viewers from the main story... Good diversion tactic, and yeah the FBI used more than they needed to accomplish what they intended. But that is not really the big picture, is it?
If they don't run the story of the Stone arrest then they appear to be sheltering people from it. If they run the story dry then it would serve to hurt Trump and Republicans because it simply looks bad ... But if you run the story and focus on some detail that can be perpetuated as peculiar or suspicious, then you can both be the news & appeal to your viewer base. CNN and MSNBC do it too, definitely... It's just frustrating to see the topic steer in that direction.

Last edited:

skelly

Reaction score
According to most msm reports it was at least a dozen armed FBI agents working without pay. Also mention the intimidation factor to flip Stone and others.

gangstonc

Reaction score
According to most msm reports it was at least a dozen armed FBI agents working without pay. Also mention the intimidation factor to flip Stone and others.
It was 6 according to all the reports I read. And it was only allowed to be a signature bond when it was determined his passport was expired.

Don’t look for anconspirach when the facts are in front of you. Occam’s Razor.

I don’t see how getting arrested is intimidation to flip at all. Especiallly with a person who loves the attention like Stone does.

skelly

Reaction score
It was 6 according to all the reports I read. And it was only allowed to be a signature bond when it was determined his passport was expired.

Don’t look for anconspirach when the facts are in front of you. Occam’s Razor.

I don’t see how getting arrested is intimidation to flip at all. Especiallly with a person who loves the attention like Stone does.

Number one, looking at politics I’m always looking at conspiracies. So are you apparently.

Number two, why do you want to back away from the fact that it’s a high profile raid ? Every article headlines with heavily armed riot geared FBI agents working for free! (A whole other optic angle intended)

Why do most articles say he posted $250K bond when you and I know from the start that he did not?

And finally we’re getting back to trump campaign relationships to wiki leaks, which really trump didn’t try to hide the fact that he was happy about them leaking the damaging emails. Which he should of known better because it’s never about the democrats when damaging inside info comes out for them it’s all about the leaks and the leakers! Hmmm...

(I’ve yet to see anyone report “six” agents.)

gangstonc

Reaction score
Number one, looking at politics I’m always looking at conspiracies. So are you apparently.

Number two, why do you want to back away from the fact that it’s a high profile raid ? Every article headlines with heavily armed riot geared FBI agents working for free! (A whole other optic angle intended)

Why do most articles say he posted $250K bond when you and I know from the start that he did not?

And finally we’re getting back to trump campaign relationships to wiki leaks, which really trump didn’t try to hide the fact that he was happy about them leaking the damaging emails. Which he should of known better because it’s never about the democrats when damaging inside info comes out for them it’s all about the leaks and the leakers! Hmmm...

(I’ve yet to see anyone report “six” agents.)
It was a very high profile raid. I don’t have a problem with it. They had a good reason to do it.

He posted a 250k signature bond.

skelly

Reaction score
It was a very high profile raid. I don’t have a problem with it. They had a good reason to do it.

He posted a 250k signature bond.

Awesome that we got those two points squared away.

Whose house are we (CNN sleuths) sitting on next? The same ones we were also sitting on at 5:00 a.m Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logo 468x120
Back