• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

2/10/2020-2/12/2020 Severe Weather and Flooding Threat

MichelleH

Reaction score
New severe t'storm watch until midnight for north and central Alabama and southern middle Tennessee.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The line just moved through Florence. Didn't hear any thunder and the wind wasn't all that bad but the rain was intense.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Looks like the line is starting to slow down.

bwalk

Reaction score
The line just moved through Florence. Didn't hear any thunder and the wind wasn't all that bad but the rain was intense.

I'm a little confused about these lines of storms. At 4pm WSFA (Montgomery) sent a text: "New timing info on tonight's storms - trending a bit later".

They were already saying it would be after midnight & now, "later" than midnight. Yet storms are already in Florence.
Are we talking more than 1 line of storms?

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
I'm a little confused about these lines of storms. At 4pm WSFA (Montgomery) sent a text: "New timing info on tonight's storms - trending a bit later".

They were already saying it would be after midnight & now, "later" than midnight. Yet storms are already in Florence.
Are we talking more than 1 line of storms?

Yeah that was confusing to send out. It even sounded like they though the storms were going to slow before they reached Alabama. It is slowing right now so The eastern part of the state may have these storms to deal with after midnight.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
The NWS service just canceled the Severe thunderstorm watch for Colbert, Franklin and Lauderdale Counties.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Had an interesting couplet try to develop east of Jasper but otherwise just another evening of torrential rain and distant thunder here. Glad the thermo profile wasn't able to take advantage of the very impressive shear out there this time.

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
Looks like this is going to be largely a nothingburger in terms of severe weather for most of us. Good news.

In fact, BMX has just cancelled the severe thunderstorm watch and has removed the severe weather threat:

Last edited:

Pugii

Reaction score
Line has definitely slowed down here in Jackson, MS. It's been raining since about 5:30 PM CST, heavy at times. The line has pretty much quit eastward motion now.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Line has definitely slowed down here in Jackson, MS. It's been raining since about 5:30 PM CST, heavy at times. The line has pretty much quit eastward motion now.
Welcome to TalkWeather @Pugii!

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
An ongoing issue with US Hwy 231 in Morgan Co. AL has been worsened thanks to recent high rainfall. For over a year now ALDOT has been monitoring the status us of the highway as large cracks have appear on highway on the side of Brindlee Mountain. Appears that overnight the issue has become bad enough that ALDOT has now closed Hwy 231 and are now detouring traffic via a few roads that weren't really designed for that much traffic. Hope they can actually engineer a solution to this situation fast as Hwy 231 is the major North/South through Huntsville.

1581604293975.png
WHNT Photo

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
An ongoing issue with US Hwy 231 in Morgan Co. AL has been worsened thanks to recent high rainfall. For over a year now ALDOT has been monitoring the status us of the highway as large cracks have appear on highway on the side of Brindlee Mountain. Appears that overnight the issue has become bad enough that ALDOT has now closed Hwy 231 and are now detouring traffic via a few roads that weren't really designed for that much traffic. Hope they can actually engineer a solution to this situation fast as Hwy 231 is the major North/South through Huntsville.

View attachment 2482
WHNT Photo

HWY 231 has had that same issues every time it rains really heavy. I wonder if Underground caves are falling or what is going on under neath, but this has been an issues for as long as I have traveled 231 in the past.

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
HWY 231 has had that same issues every time it rains really heavy. I wonder if Underground caves are falling or what is going on under neath, but this has been an issues for as long as I have traveled 231 in the past.
ALDOT released a new statement that the road will be closed indefinitely. Sounds like they are finally going to dig in and try to fix this for real. SOOOOOOO glad I don't make that commute everyday anymore.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
ALDOT released a new statement that the road will be closed indefinitely. Sounds like they are finally going to dig in and try to fix this for real. SOOOOOOO glad I don't make that commute everyday anymore.
That is going to be a mess for awhile. I feel for those that travel that direction daily.

Back