• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

1/6-1/7 Winter Storm Potential Thread

MichelleH

Reaction score
About 10 minutes ago we had a heavy band of sleet mixed with a little snow in southeast Cullman County.

Blountwolf

PerryW Project Supporter
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1483722118887.jpg

Vinemont, AL sleet and snow mix

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
One good thing from the BMX sounding: the warm nose isn't quite as deep. Looks like it was about 6300 feet deep at 12z, and 4600 feet deep at 15z. It will be really interesting to see what the noon sounding shows.

It's nothing unusual. The models have been forecasting that warm layer. It should stick around for awhile too. The NAM and GFS didn't really show it going away until later today around 7 pm central time.

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
I like the idea that the HRRR has. It builds the moisture in from the south-southwest.

hrrr_ref_frzn_seus_10.png

Blountwolf

PerryW Project Supporter
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Not much back behind this first band to my west. We will see, more may build in.

Yep, doesn't look good for north of Bham, but it never really did. Hope more builds in, but not holding my breath.

nautile

Reaction score
Our sleet/freezing rain has stopped for now, but there is already a thin covering of sleet on the deck and ice has accumulated on the trees and mailbox.

MichelleH

Reaction score
Is the "main event" still supposed to be this afternoon into tonight? Because looking at regional radar right now, it seems like it's about over. (Hope I don't sound too stupid with this post...winter weather is not my specialty.)

Lori

Staff member
Emeritus Moderator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think the next sounding will tell a good bit of the story!!

Brax

Reaction score
Is the "main event" still supposed to be this afternoon into tonight? Because looking at regional radar right now, it seems like it's about over. (Hope I don't sound too stupid with this post...winter weather is not my specialty.)

The NAM lets it die down for the next hour or two, then has another huge flare up on the radar at about 4PM ET.

Mike

Reaction score
Per Fox6, it was just mentioned that this was the "first wave".. The BMX NWS just posted a "future radar" that shows precip along the I-20 corridor to continue through this evening...

Per Spann- This winter weather event will peak in intensity from 4:00 p.m. until 2:00 a.m. A band of heavy snow/sleet will set up over Central Alabama in the Winter Storm Warning area; some spots could easily 2-3" of accumulation, with more for higher terrain locations. Snow tonight over the northern third of the state will be light and spotty; a Winter Weather Advisory continues there. See the blog, as always, for more details:

Logo 468x120
Back