• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

1/6-1/7 Winter Storm Potential Thread

bingcrosbyb

Reaction score
9z SREF is in and it has decreased snowfall for Birmingham from 2.15" mean to 1.80" mean. Total QPF is still the same at 0.5" which means it is increasing the amount of ice. It shows all freezing rain/sleet up until 10pm Friday evening before changing to snow on the end. Matches up with earlier sounding showing a warm layer between 2500 and 8000 feet.

ARCC

Reaction score
That is the issue of a warm nose at 700mb. If it were only a thin layer at 850mb it could be worked over, but at 700mb you kill the DGZ.

Stormlover

Reaction score
9z SREF is in and it has decreased snowfall for Birmingham from 2.15" mean to 1.80" mean. Total QPF is still the same at 0.5" which means it is increasing the amount of ice. It shows all freezing rain/sleet up until 10pm Friday evening before changing to snow on the end. Matches up with earlier sounding showing a warm layer between 2500 and 8000 feet.
SRef mean up to 1.01 at Huntsville with .12 qpf, that's just over 8:1, when we should get more like 15:1 out of this

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Send pics if you can, but, thank you for your report StormStalker

Not pic worthy yet but when or if it gets there I will try to post one. Waiting on the heavier returns from N MS to get in here. It's a very fine powdery snow.

Blountwolf

PerryW Project Supporter
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
There's going to be a changeover line between freezing rain and snow as this first batch rotates over - looks like somewhere around Cullman to me.

Blountwolf

PerryW Project Supporter
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Top portion of the first band on the MS/AL western border shows distinct difference in radar presentation on the north side. I think there is hope that evap cooling changes us over in Blount Springs. Going to be an icy mess if not.

Reaction score
Smoke Rise, AL (25 mi. N of downtown Birmingham)
Does this warm nose not exist back in Mississippi? I like the looks of this darker blue patch on the radar in Mississippi, but is that falling as snow and will it switch to Freezing Rain in our area?
Radar_915_AM_1_6_17.png

VegasEagle

Reaction score
Do you guys think power outage is possible in Atlanta now that some ice is in the mix? I didn't prepare for that at all.
You need to get ready for lost power possible for a few days. Also, roads could be closed for more than a day or two, due to fallen power line and trees. I am not saying it will happen, but, better to be ready in case it does.

Logo 468x120
Back