• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe WX 1/24/21-1/26/21 Severe Event (Fultondale, AL)

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Here's the loop for anyone who missed it; now I must sleep

5b6296a6-9b0c-40cc-804b-bb4bd4a02735.gif

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
My cousin's house in Fultdondale was basically destroyed. I haven't seen pictures of it yet, but my Mom talked to him. They are okay and safe, though. I drove Interstate 65 south through there this morning. The tornado clearly touched down somewhere just west of I-65, and then rapidly strengthened as it crossed I-65. It had a clear northeastward track to it.

This was a big one. The damage in Fultondale from this one is likely worse than the damage Fultondale experienced from the Tuscaloosa-Birmingham tornado on April 27, 2011.

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Image from Fultondale. From Joshua Neely.

143396699_1753642348146755_3452913919207636975_o.jpg
Do you have any idea in that area where everything is leveled if those were houses or mobile homes?

Obviously for the people living there it makes no difference and I send my condolences but from a strength aspect it could be important.

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
Do you have any idea in that area where everything is leveled if those were houses or mobile homes?

Obviously for the people living there it makes no difference and I send my condolences but from a strength aspect it could be important.
Most of what you're seeing in this image is all houses. They are older houses, but houses nonetheless.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The mid-EF3 windspeed people inferred from the debris lofting definitely seems believable based on the damage photos.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It's clear via aerials and interviews that the destroyed residences are almost all frame houses; while many are old and construction quality/condition is a question, we certainly do have completely leveled frame homes as opposed to having only mobile homes that heavily damaged. Just a shocking amount of destruction out there.

Mid-end EF3 seems probable, gotta say that's stronger than I thought we'd see yesterday.

unknown-25.png

Last edited:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Are the conditions that led to the Fultondale tornado similar to the conditions that led to the Middle Tennessee tornado outbreak last year (high shear low CAPE)? Again the area was only under a Slight Risk and Tornado Watch 0003 only indicated a 20% probability for EF2+ tornadoes.

If I had to guess the damage we've seen so far probably ranges from mid EF3 to possibly low end EF4, based on available damage pics. Horrible damage and my thoughts and prayers are with the people of Fultondale.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Are the conditions that led to the Fultondale tornado similar to the conditions that led to the Middle Tennessee tornado outbreak last year (high shear low CAPE)? Again the area was only under a Slight Risk and Tornado Watch 0003 only indicated a 20% probability for EF2+ tornadoes.

If I had to guess the damage we've seen so far probably ranges from mid EF3 to possibly low end EF4, based on available damage pics. Horrible damage and my thoughts and prayers are with the people of Fultondale.

Surface temps were significantly warmer this time around. The Nashville storm was almost cold core-esque. It had similar characteirstics beyond that though. Very high shear and of course waiting until it got into the metro to really organize and produce despite having meandered for a while up from Jackson

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Also boundary interactions, warm front and thermal boundary respectively iirc. Probably significantly enhanced local helicity

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah that batch of storms rolled over here for two hours and knocked temps down 5 degrees or more (from 71 to 66 here) and probably set up the perfect boundary over B'ham; anyone got surface charts from 10-ish last night?

Back