• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat - November 3rd-6th, 2022

buckeye05

Reaction score
Wow! I honestly was not expecting that, but apparently the Quick Response Team has decided that the large house that was slabbed north of Clarksville meets the criteria for low-end EF4. As we noted previously, the DAT mentions that that the house was anchored with nails rather than bolts. I would assume the contextual damage played a role in this decision.

Reaction score
Wow! I honestly was not expecting that, but apparently the Quick Response Team has decided that the large house that was slabbed north of Clarksville meets the criteria for low-end EF4. As we noted previously, the DAT mentions that that the house was anchored with nails rather than bolts. I would assume the contextual damage played a role in this decision.
It does kind of look like something was ripped from the perimeter of the foundationl

buckeye05

Reaction score
Ok so looking at the DAT for Cason, I see that the EF2 damage is based on tree damage, some destroyed mobile homes, and roof and exterior wall removal at a site-built home. However, I'm not seeing any slabbed homes. Are we absolutely positive that the pics of bare foundations were from Cason?

Edit: Comparing aerial video with the Twitter photos, I can confirm there were indeed two site-built homes swept from their foundations in the Cason area. While they aren't listed on the DAT, they are mentioned in the survey description, with NWS Shreveport citing pier foundations as the reasoning for EF2. The odd thing is, one of the homes appears to be built on a slab foundation rather than a pier one, so I'm a bit confused by that.

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
Still nothing from Denning, AR. A CC drop definitely popped up over the town during the outbreak.

UK_EF4

Reaction score

Looking at these aerial photos I think NWS definitely made the right decision. The wind rowing and slight debris granulation definitely suggests it was into the violent range. Seems like another good survey of evaluating damage and context together, similar to the Georgia EF4 earlier this year.

UK_EF4

Reaction score

Looking at these aerial photos I think NWS definitely made the right decision. The wind rowing and slight debris granulation definitely suggests it was into the violent range. Seems like another good survey of evaluating damage and context together, similar to the Georgia EF4 earlier this year.

I also think context could possibly justify a bit higher winds as well, but I don’t know enough about the home construction to say whether a higher rating could be justified damage-wise.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Yeah I agree, despite the lack of anchor bolts, it sounds like there were enough large nails to provide a reasonable amount of anchoring. Plus as you mentioned, the context supports a low-end violent rating (large trees partially debarked and ripped out of the ground, cars tossed considerable distances, and possibly some scouring).

As I mentioned before, NWS Shreveport is usually pretty good when it comes to making rating calls. I’d like to see more context-heavy surveying like this.

Reaction score
Yeah I agree, despite the lack of anchor bolts, it sounds like there were enough large nails to provide a reasonable amount of anchoring. Plus as you mentioned, the context supports a low-end violent rating (large trees partially debarked and ripped out of the ground, cars tossed considerable distances, and possibly some scouring).

As I mentioned before, NWS Shreveport is usually pretty good when it comes to making rating calls. I’d like to see more context-heavy surveying like this.
I kind of wondered about the brick church in Idabel that was completely leveled to the foundation. Was there some construction flaw of some kind that prevented it from being rated higher than a low-end EF3? I didn't notice any contextual damage surrounding the church so i assume it was just a construction flaw.

buckeye05

Reaction score
View attachment 15433
Not sure if this is news or not, but the tornado near Daingerfield is now EF3 per DAT, based on tree damage.
Yeah this is the Cason tornado I mentioned that swept away two homes, but apparently this one was upgraded based on tree damage rather that the two homes in question. Regardless, I'm glad its been upgraded.

Regarding New Boston, there are two areas of EF3 damage that have been added. The first is near Simms, where a house had roof and exterior wall loss and pavement was scoured from a road. The other EF3 damage point is southwest of New Boston, where a metal building of some kind was slabbed, shown below.

Back