• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat - November 3rd-6th, 2022

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Any word from the eastern side of Broken Bow/areas east of town? There was a big TDS blowup right around that area but have yet to see anything.

Some damage shots from Idabel
Fgzq_yIXwAE7erw

FgziIBpWIAQJPCj

buckeye05

Reaction score
Really? Are there any notable surveys that you would consider 'conservative' in recent years from the Fort Worth WFO?
Dec 2015 surveys were abysmal. Photos show the team never left their car to inspect many of the paths, and all later paths from the Garland/Rowlett supercell were rated mostly EF1 with some EF2, despite stronger damage being apparent.

Earlier that year, they assigned a low-end EF3 rating to the Cisco, TX tornado, despite extreme damage to vegetation, vehicles, and houses, and clearly being well within the violent category.

More recently, the second of the two 2017 Canton, TX wedge tornadoes debarked trees, scoured grass, mangled vehicles, and leveled homes, yet was rated EF3. Aerial photography revealed that the leveled homes weren’t included in the survey for some reason.

The October 2019 Dallas outbreak surveys were also pretty bad.

So yeah, not a trusted WFO when it comes to surveys.

Last edited:

Tanner

Reaction score
Dec 2015 surveys were abysmal. Photos show the team never left their car to inspect many of the paths, and all later paths from the Garland/Rowlett supercell were rated mostly EF1 with some EF2, despite stronger damage being apparent.

Earlier that year, they assigned a low-end EF3 rating to the Cisco, TX tornado, despite extreme damage to vegetation, vehicles, and houses, and clearly being well within the violent category.

More recently, the second of the two 2017 Canton, TX wedge tornadoes debarked trees, scoured grass, mangled vehicles, and leveled homes, yet was rated EF3. Aerial photography revealed that the leveled homes weren’t included in the survey for some reason.

Thank you. Doesn't lessen the effect of those tornadoes or these ones, that's for sure. Again, the SPC, storm spotters, law enforcement, media all seemed to do a great job handling this event. I'm curious to see what news coverage gets released so that we can watch it. It has to be hard with the massive radar gap in northeastern Texas to cover severe weather.

Reaction score
It’s NWS Fort Worth, and they are one of the most conservative survey teams. Even if those slabbed houses end up being well-built, I’m not expecting them to go above EF3 knowing their track record.

Obviously multiple violent candidates from this outbreak though.
The EF3 rating for that one house seems correct but you are right NWS Fort Worth does ignore extreme contextual damage. It is irrelevant.. Tim Marshall and Gary Woodall also believe it is Irrelevant as do a number of NWS offices.

Reaction score

Here is something from the Bridge Creek-Moore 1999 tornado. https://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/scour.htm

Reaction score
Ok, but you did mention other tornadoes that should have been rated as violent because of extreme context. I wonder if NWS Shreveport is a more lenient NWS office.
He never even mentioned Westminster.

VHE F4 at minimum.........rated HE F3. What the hell......

Reaction score
He never even mentioned Westminster.

VHE F4 at minimum.........rated HE F3. What the hell......
I said other tornadoes that should have been rated as violent not just Westminster 2006.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The Clarksville-Idabel tornado was clearly violent well before crossing the state line into Oklahoma, at least one large home was slabbed near Clarksville with pretty impressive contextual damage occurring on the property. This is possibly the most violent damage I've seen so far from this outbreak.
clarksville-tornado.jpg
source:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Idabel tornado is preliminary EF3.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Idabel tornado is preliminary EF3.
This one needs an upgrade in my opinion. Clarksville and Idabel are within the NWS Shreveport WFO area, and that office tends to have good judgement, but we shall see.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The moderate risk was slow to be added to the outlook (a forecaster change may have helped with getting that risk in the outlook) and we got pretty low grade tornado watches considering the type of environment and model agreement we had for this setup. The greatest risk area was highlighted so well because of the very obvious weather data.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The moderate risk was slow to be added to the outlook (a forecaster change may have helped with getting that risk in the outlook) and we got pretty low grade tornado watches considering the type of environment and model agreement we had for this setup. The greatest risk area was highlighted so well because of the very obvious weather data.
The Moderate Risk was fine but I think at least the first tornado watch should have had higher probabilities or A Particularly Dangerous(PDS) Tornado Watch. However, I think the SPC did a great job overall though and probably had uncertainties how this major tornado outbreak was going to materialize.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Cason/Naples, TX is preliminary EF2. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't that one sweep away/level homes? Only thing I can think of is maybe they were manufactured homes on a permanent foundation. A bit unusual but still something you see once in a while.

Last edited:

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Cason/Naples, TX is preliminary EF2. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't that one sweep away/level homes? Only thing I can think of is maybe they were manufactured homes on a permanent foundation. A bit unusual but still something you see once in a while.
If that’s the same storm that went into New Boston, then judging by DAT, the haven’t surveyed the full path yet. I haven’t seen any damage photos from Naples though either way.