• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat - November 3rd-6th, 2022

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Idabel tornado is preliminary EF3.
I haven’t seen any official tweet from NWS Shreveport or anything on DAT. Apparently that article may have got confused with the other EF3, or maybe they somehow got advanced word? Not sure.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Cason/Naples, TX is preliminary EF2. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't that one sweep away/level homes? Only thing I can think of is maybe they were manufactured homes on a permanent foundation. A bit unusual but still something you see once in a while.
Can't say anything about the rest of the path, but at least in Cason the hardest hit homes appear to have been unanchored sliders, some of them sitting on brick foundations. Honestly don't see how anything is inconsistent with EF3 though.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Judging by the foundation of the Clarksville home that was slabbed, I don’t think they will go with EF4 at this point. As other users have pointed out, there is a noticeable lack of anchor bolts.

With that said, I do not understand the EF2 rating in Cason. Even if they weren’t anchored well, I’m not ok with slabbed homes being assigned a rating below EF3.

Last edited:

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Judging by the foundation of the Clarksville home that was slabbed, I don’t think they will we go with EF4 at this point. As other users have pointed out, there a noticeable lack of anchor bolts.
Yes. I think High-End EF3 probably appropriate given contextual damage. Seems very likely the tornado would have been capable of getting an EF4 rating though if construction quality allowed.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Surprised we haven't heard anything from Le Flore County, OK, as there was a significant debris signature near the town of Heavener. Also surprised at the lack of info from Denning, AR as there was a debris signature directly over the town.

Reaction score
Judging by the foundation of the Clarksville home that was slabbed, I don’t think they will go with EF4 at this point. As other users have pointed out, there is a noticeable lack of anchor bolts.

With that said, I do not understand the EF2 rating in Cason. Even if they weren’t anchored well, I’m not ok with slabbed homes being assigned a rating below EF3.
Which house? There was one house that was mostly swept away with some ground scouring in that area. The other house looked like it had no anchoring as I can see none in the picture. Also there was a huge church that was completely leveled to the foundation as well two other businesses. Also for some reason I can't find anything on DAT for some reason.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I don't see any anchor bolts. But they would have been along the crack that runs the perimiter of the slab, wouldn't they?
Not sure what you're referring to, but in 45+ years of building all I've seen are flat slabs either with or without anchor straps or bolts. I've only seen formed ledges etc in specific commercial and industrial work. Pics would be nice.

Phil

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

I'd tend to agree but I've seen homes fastened to the slabs with only cut nails, and not a lot of them to boot. Would hardly resist a good fart much less a windstorm. Remembering that in Double Creek there were homes anchored with 'Ramset' nails which are much better but still nowhere near proper anchoring.

Phil

Reaction score
Not sure what you're referring to, but in 45+ years of building all I've seen are flat slabs either with or without anchor straps or bolts. I've only seen formed ledges etc in specific commercial and industrial work. Pics would be nice.

Phil
Who said anything about formed ledges? If you want pics, you can look at the picture in the post i was replying to- there is a large crack or fissure that runs the whole perimiter of the slab a few inches inside of the edge. About where one would place the anchoring system.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Who said anything about formed ledges? If you want pics, you can look at the picture in the post i was replying to- there is a large crack or fissure that runs the whole perimiter of the slab a few inches inside of the edge. About where one would place the anchoring system.
What you're seeing is a raised stamped concrete pour on top of the slab. It would indeed have been abutting the indside of any wall plates surrounding it (like a ledge). That would have given it some lateral strength against blowing in (not out) until the wall lifted. As long as they don't pull out, any fastener can add similar strength; it's the point of the plate lifting or breaking apart where major failure begins, and only proper strapping or bolting with washers offers good protection against that. So on this one factor alone you're not going to exceed EF-3 IMHO. Other damage will be necessary to raise that.

Phil

Reaction score
What you're seeing is a raised stamped concrete pour on top of the slab. It would indeed have been abutting the indside of any wall plates surrounding it (like a ledge). That would have given it some lateral strength against blowing in (not out) until the wall lifted. As long as they don't pull out, any fastener can add similar strength; it's the point of the plate lifting or breaking apart where major failure begins, and only proper strapping or bolting with washers offers good protection against that. So on this one factor alone you're not going to exceed EF-3 IMHO. Other damage will be necessary to raise that.

Phil

I get what you're saying. Seems like a fairly unusual constuction method- and explains why the concrete looks so thin.

buckeye05

Reaction score
As it currently stands, I don't think we're going to see anything above high-end EF3 from this outbreak ratings wise. All the slabs I've seen so far have major construction issues.

With that said, I think Clarksville/Idabel was EF4 capable. Definitely some scouring and debarking with that one.