• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat - November 3rd-6th, 2022

UK_EF4

Reaction score

Can't say I saw that one coming... was this the storm previously rated EF2. Was this the same as the Powderly tornado?
Edit:

Looks like I was confused and this was in fact the tornado previously rated EF3.

Tanner

Reaction score

Can't say I saw that one coming... was this the storm previously rated EF2. Was this the same as the Powderly tornado?

Wow...yes this was the Powderly tornado. I noticed that they never included the damage indicators on the DAT so I assumed an upgrade was at least being considered. This was a high-end event indeed •.•
Edit: Buckeye, you've been the biggest advocate for proper damage assessments here on this forum in my experience. It seems like both SHV and FWD really took the proper measures to rating these, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

UK_EF4

Reaction score
A few other homes rated 165mph "pending review" as well, such as this one:
I cant see any connections though so an upgrade maybe unlikely for this particular damage point?

Attachments

• Damage_Points_SDE_image-20221105-155134.jpg
    Damage_Points_SDE_image-20221105-155134.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

buckeye05

Reaction score
Wow...yes this was the Powderly tornado. I noticed that they never included the damage indicators on the DAT so I assumed an upgrade was at least being considered. This was a high-end event indeed •.•
Edit: Buckeye, you've been the biggest advocate for proper damage assessments here on this forum in my experience. It seems like both SHV and FWD really took the proper measures to rating these, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes! All the ratings from this outbreak are appropriate, and this is how it should be done. If a reasonably well-built house is leveled or slabbed, and there aren't any glaring contextual discrepancies, there isn't really any good reason not to go EF4. The EF4 rating for Clarksville, TX also is a good reminder that if there is enough contextual support, anchor bolts are not absolutely a necessity for an EF4-rated house. It's also good they bumped Cason, TX and New Boston, TX up to EF3. Again, if a site-built house or business is leveled, the minimum rating that should be applied is low-end EF3, not EF2.

Only comment I want to make is that regarding the EF4-rated house from the Powderly, TX tornado, is that the upper portion of the house seems to be semi-intact, as another user pointed out. This gives me some Newnan, GA vibes, but this one doesn't seem to have the glaring contextual discrepancies that Newnan did, and the overall intensity of the damage in Powderly does seem worse than Newnan. So the conclusion is: Marginal EF4 seems appropriate, and NWS Shreveport has avoided falling into the "coming up with stupid reasons to keep the rating lower" trap. Kudos to them!

Reaction score
Yes! All the ratings from this outbreak are appropriate, and this is how it should be done. If a reasonably well-built house is leveled or slabbed, and there aren't any glaring contextual discrepancies, there isn't really any good reason not to go EF4. The EF4 rating for Clarksville, TX also is a good reminder that if there is enough contextual support, anchor bolts are not absolutely a necessity for an EF4-rated house. It's also good they bumped Cason, TX and New Boston, TX up to EF3. Again, if a site-built house or business is leveled, the minimum rating that should be applied is low-end EF3, not EF2.

Only comment I want to make is that regarding the EF4-rated house from the Powderly, TX tornado, is that the upper portion of the house seems to be semi-intact, as another user pointed out. This gives me some Newnan, GA vibes, but this one doesn't seem to have the glaring contextual discrepancies that Newnan did, and the overall intensity of the damage in Powderly does seem worse than Newnan. So the conclusion is: Marginal EF4 seems appropriate, and NWS Shreveport has avoided falling into the "coming up with stupid reasons to keep the rating lower" trap. Kudos to them!
Yeah, like i said the upper portion of the house near Powderly, TX stayed intact and it made me agree with the original high-end EF3 rating.

buckeye05

Reaction score

Looking at these aerial photos I think NWS definitely made the right decision. The wind rowing and slight debris granulation definitely suggests it was into the violent range. Seems like another good survey of evaluating damage and context together, similar to the Georgia EF4 earlier this year.

Honestly, it’s one of those “either one works” sort of situations imo. One could argue for high-end EF3. Back in 2019, NWS Shreveport applied a 165 MPH EF3 rating to a house that was slabbed by the second Alto, TX tornado. Only difference is that the top of the Alto house was even more intact than the one in Powderly. Apparently, the more thorough destruction of the top section made them go with 170 MPH rather than 165 MPH, as both incidents of damage were quite similar.

Edit: Sorry I meant to reply to Shakespeare 2016

buckeye05

Reaction score
More surprising is it was Fort Worth that helped with this survey.
I thought it was the QRT? If it was NWS Fort Worth, that is very uncharacteristic of them. I wonder if there’s been a staffing change? In the past few years, NWS Peachtree City went from one of the most conservative WFOs in terms surveys, to arguably the most liberal. A similar thing happened at NWS Little Rock after JR retired.

Reaction score
Honestly, it’s one of those “either one works” sort of situations imo. One could argue for high-end EF3. Back in 2019, NWS Shreveport applied a 165 MPH EF3 rating to a house that was slabbed by the second Alto, TX tornado. Only difference is that the top of the Alto house was even more intact than the one in Powderly. Apparently, the more thorough destruction of the top section made them go with 170 MPH rather than 165 MPH, as both incidents of damage were quite similar.

Edit: Sorry I meant to reply to Shakespeare 2016
It is ok.

Reaction score
I thought it was the QRT? If it was NWS Fort Worth, that is very uncharacteristic of them. I wonder if there’s been a staffing change? In the past few years, NWS Peachtree City went from one of the most conservative WFOs in terms surveys, to arguably the most liberal. A similar thing happened at NWS Little Rock after JR retired.
Was there wind rowing of debris from that one house near Clarksville? I thought wind rowing of debris from decent to well-built homes tends to indicate the tornado may have reached solidly into the violent category.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Was there wind rowing of debris from that one house near Clarksville? I thought wind rowing of debris from decent to well-built homes tends to indicate the tornado may have reached solidly into the violent category.
From the aerial photos, there does appear be a bit of wind rowing at the house that was swept clean north of Clarksville. That, combined with the damage to vehicles and vegetation is likely why they went with EF4 (though it was nailed down pretty thoroughly, so it wasn’t really a “slider” despite the lack of anchor bolts)

Reaction score
Wow, I completely missed the forecasting and nowcasting for this event. I was aware there was a slight risk out for a few days late last week, but at that time it certainly didn't seem like anything of this magnitude was in the cards, and I was preoccupied as my wife and I were preparing for and then left on Thursday the 3rd for a 1st anniversary vacation to a resort in Puerto Morelos, QR, MX.

Back