• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Winter WX Winter Weather January 2, 2022 Silver Lining Thread

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A little over 7" IMBY

Gail

Reaction score
The only thing my 6 year old asked Santa for was snow. I groaned because I knew it was an impossible request. Last night, she looked out the window and saw the flakes falling and then our yard turning white, and she said “I’m so glad Santa remembered. I thought he forgot about me!” (he did bring her toys). I appreciate Mother Nature keeping the Christmas magic alive a little longer for my kiddo!

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I was hoping this was gonna bust but here come the heavy bands now.

FIL9wI7WQAAIX1X

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
DC Metro has suspended bus service due to road conditions and the Virginia DOT has already reported >100 traffic accidents. Apparently they didn't brine/salt the roads because it rained yesterday.

I haven't had a chance to measure here but most of the nearby area is reporting 4-5" with heavy snow still falling, some already reaching 6-7".

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Looking back, that was quite the "atmospheric" turnaround. Having all of that cold air north of us ready to advect in so quickly was a great help along with some dynamic cooling. I can remember some events with almost the same exact pattern and there was too much warm air being pulled into the 850mb for snow as far south as Bham, but this time it deepened to our east, pulling in the cold air, many times it deepens to our west bring in more warm air at first. TIming is everything

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I was hoping this was gonna bust but here come the heavy bands now.
Update: it's snowing so hard I can't see the two buildings on the left of this photo anymore.

A quick google maps check suggests that things are going well.
FIMDYarX0AAV9hs

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'll go measure once this is done, but someone about 3 miles down the road from me in Alexandria reported 8" before noon. This is like four times more snow than we've had in the last two calendar years combined.

Update: done snowing, DCA (basically across the street from me) reports 6.7", the highest daily total since 13 January 2019.

Last edited:

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looking back, that was quite the "atmospheric" turnaround. Having all of that cold air north of us ready to advect in so quickly was a great help along with some dynamic cooling. I can remember some events with almost the same exact pattern and there was too much warm air being pulled into the 850mb for snow as far south as Bham, but this time it deepened to our east, pulling in the cold air, many times it deepens to our west bring in more warm air at first. TIming is everything
I shared my photos on IG & FB. And I also included screenshots of the 30 hr period where we dropped from 74/70 to 32/30, the highs & lows from 01-02 Jan, and the temperatures from December where we finished 10+ deg above average. We had just over 1" in NE Bham & even got the lawns white, no small chore after 7-8 days 74-80 deg highs. I know Denver can go from 80s or 90s (100s in 2020) to snow & freezing temps in 2-3 but I never expected that drastic of a change in Cen AL.

akt1985

Reaction score
I saw on the Weather Channel that motorists have been at a standstill on I-95 in northern Virginia for almost 18 hours due to yesterday’s heavy snow.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I saw on the Weather Channel that motorists have been at a standstill on I-95 in northern Virginia for almost 18 hours due to yesterday’s heavy snow.
Yeah, it's basically backed up from DC to Richmond at this point (including I-395 into DC), and it's closed for a stretch of almost 50 miles. The main problem was apparently several jackknifed tractor-trailers. There were similar problems yesterday on I-495 and US-50 in Maryland (including the Chesapeake Bay Bridge), but those seem to have been resolved.

Apparently VDOT didn't brine/salt the roads because it was raining on Sunday night before it transitioned to snow on Monday morning, but it seems like they ought to have a backup plan for that, because just not treating the roads when we're going to get 8" of snow (and up to 14" around Fredericksburg where the worst of the traffic jam is) isn't an option.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Apparently VA Senator Tim Kaine was one of the people stuck in the gridlock on I-95

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
VDOT says there's nobody stranded on I-95 anymore but this is what it looks like in Dumfries, which is about halfway between Fredericksburg and DC.

Back