• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Winter WX Winter Weather January 2, 2022 Silver Lining Thread

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Y'all I hate to be "that guy", but this really looks like another one of those situations where the cold air needed to support accumulation arrives after the moisture ends. I think we'll see some flakes, but I'm not expecting more than a dusting for most. Would love to be pleasantly surprised, but not seeing it at the moment.

4pmwxscope.JPG

Blizzard1

Reaction score
Y'all I hate to be "that guy", but this really looks like another one of those situations where the cold air needed to support accumulation arrives after the moisture ends. I think we'll see some flakes, but I'm not expecting more than a dusting for most. Would love to be pleasantly surprised, but not seeing it at the moment.

View attachment 11448
Me too unfortunately. The system would have to dig and pivot(stall) a bit too much from how the ground truth looks now. Hope I’m wrong though!

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
if it produces to that extent, I hope I get kudos for this thread I started jinxing it in the right direction for once.
Oh, I live in Virginia, so idk how it's looking for y'all. This was our forecast. I really need the DC Snow Hole to come through in the clutch again.

It was 65 degrees here today, I played golf in short sleeves. I guess at least we're making the transition without any severe weather, just a lot of rain.

Attachments

• 1641163255185.png
    1641163255185.png
    372.9 KB · Views: 0

Blizzard1

Reaction score
actually there is a little surface based cape all the way down to Bham for a short period of time...so a little thunder is possible here too.
Excellent! I was hoping so and someone earlier said Jerry Tracy said likewise. What are your thoughts as things stand now for N Central AL? Thanks fir your input too!

Blountwolf

Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Screenshot_20220102-173820_3340 Weather.jpg
Well hello there little snow band.

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Excellent! I was hoping so and someone earlier said Jerry Tracy said likewise. What are your thoughts as things stand now for N Central AL? Thanks fir your input too!
a band of heavy snow lasting around 3 hours somewhere near I65...
View attachment 11453
Well hello there little snow band.
that snow band will grow and become heavier over the next several hours as the trough begins to close off and deepen. The heaviest snow band will likely be north to south from Bham area toward Cullman and then a bit wider in the Tenn Valley and will last 2-3 hours. Bham probably won'tt see much more than inch in actual accumulations, higher amounts as you go northward. It looks like the upper low will begin to pivot (slow forward movement) right as the band nears I65.

Blizzard1

Reaction score
a band of heavy snow lasting around 3 hours somewhere near I65...

that snow band will grow and become heavier over the next several hours as the trough begins to close off and deepen. The heaviest snow band will likely be north to south from Bham area toward Cullman and then a bit wider in the Tenn Valley and will last 2-3 hours. Bham probably won'tt see much more than inch in actual accumulations, higher amounts as you go northward. It looks like the upper low will begin to pivot (slow forward movement) right as the band nears I65.
Excellent! Nice summary!

South AL Wx

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
MD out for far North Alabama and points northeastward:

mcd0023.gif

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Reaction score
Hope you guys are cashing in. We're expecting 4-8+" here with some thundersnow possible as the LP deepens and the vort max runs right south of us.

Kudos to the GFS for picking up on this one.

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The fact Tuscaloosa dropped 5 deg in last hr & Bham went up 1 deg doesnt help. Tuscaloosa is 40 Bham is still 50. :(

brianc33710

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This snow must be expected to fall very hard for it to stick given the ground warm temps. This isnt Snowmageddon where we had 1 warm day & everything was very cold right around it. Its been WAY above normal. I want to see some snow but wont get my hopes up.

Back